DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: R2D2 after OTA 4.5.602 bootanimation.zip?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto A957 Droid2 R2D2 GBv2.3.4

R2D2 after OTA 4.5.602 bootanimation.zip?

Long long ago, in a -- oh nevermind that for now... and now for something completely different... or not... but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Then:

In Froyo I was able to access bootanimation.zip, mount/open it with File Expert app, and rename the screaming R2D2 audio file per desc.txt so it wouldn't be found by the boot script. Result: I kept the R2D2 stock boot animation sans audio.

Now:

Couple nights ago, allowed the OTA upgrade since I was already up for no good reason and chose "remind me later" twice to the VZW prompt, "why not?" From what I gleam but don't truly understand, my R2D2 supposedly would neglect/disallow/block the OTA upgrade directly from VZW because I had rooted it previously to gain superuser access to mod the bootanimation.zip (among other useful root features), so I was surprised to even get the upgrade notification OTA. Perhaps, "it's a traaaaap!" ???

I skimmed various forum posts suggesting that I would need to unroot my device to successfully upgrade via OTA, and I decided to dive right in, guessing the upgrade would at worst drop back to Froyo as-is, without further tampering or attempting to unroot. So now, running for more than a day in Gingerbread R2D2 is screaming (like a rooster?) quite proudly at each boot. The OTA reloaded/replaced my modded bootanimation.zip with the original audio file.

We're kinda back to stock? Curiouser...

I thought it would be no problem using File Expert to mod bootanimation.zip as I had previously, but I can't seem to find it on any path starting from root folders (/system/media...), so now I come to the question:

Is my R2D2 root/superuser wiped by the OTA? My other root-dependent apps are still functioning. Follow-up questions: Is it possible my device was never completely rooted so that maybe certain access was granted to superuser but not full root, as in semirooted? How could I confidently test whether my root access is still in effect? And lastly, "Where's the beeP?"

The goal: to find my system/media path so I can access that boot audio file and silence it again. If I need to root GB since finishing OTA upgrade, I would dare to reroot, just to seek and destroy that noise. I really don't want shrieking R2D2 on boot or reboot, returning to my solution of burying the speaker under pillows to muffle the audio at startup.

I'll be patient, if it's just a matter of time waiting for more competent users than I, to release a how-to for defeating this R2D2 *feature* for post-upgraded devices. My main concern is that I can't find the path. (Stops rambling ...nnnow)

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my R2D2 Droid using DroidForums App

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Update:

Root checker shows my SuperUser is still installed, but Root is not. Therefore Wireless Tether & other bits approved via SU are still working, but actual root access to the bootanimation.zip and \system\media folders to defeat R2D2's recently reinstated SCREAM is missing. Got root? Nope. Did but don't.

I'll pursue root mod suggestions on these forums and report back the results on muting bootanimation in R2D2 v2.0

...and I am now also suffering occasional unanticipated reboot since the OTA upgrade, so R2D2 insists on screaming more often than in FroYo. Of course!

Sent from my R2D2 Droid using DroidForums App
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    MotorolaOneClickRoot and z4Root both failed to root/unroot/reroot my R2D2 following the OTA 2.3.3 update from its rooted previous state. Since RootChecker app showed BusyBox and SU were installed but failure for root access, I kept hunting for a way out of the semirooted limbo my R2D2 was in.

PetesMotorolaRootTools_v1.06.zip was the key for my issue. Following instructions for USB charging mode, I successfully unrooted, rebooted, and fully rooted 2.3.3, and then I used FileExpert app to locate SpunkyAttitude.ogg and renamed it to Spunky_R2D2_Attitude.ogg so that bootanimation.zip's desc.txt could not call the audio file upon startup during the R2D2 boot animation sequence.

By the way, that's (path from root):

/system/media/audio/notifications/Spunky_Attitude.ogg
    /system/media/audio/ringtones/Spunky_Attitude.ogg
    ...I renamed both, not sure which is the targeted file from desc.txt.

No more squealing DROID nonsense when powering on R2D2, or when Gingerbread randomly reboots the phone (yeah, that does happen occasionally). I also have properly functioning SuperUser once more, and wireless_tether_2_0_7.apk is working again as well for "emergency netbook Internet sharing."

Meanwhile, last Sunday/Monday I followed and posted reply to another thread about stock TXT app locking up, which lead me to use TitaniumBackup app & other resources to fully backup R2D2 and perform a full factory reset. So far, I have not had to repeat steps to root GingeR2D2 (Gingerbread+R2D2, see what I did there?), and all is working as well as can be.

Rooting the phone was not a precursor to needing a full factory restore, and I suspect a cache folder or other memory/temp issue was to blame for stock TXT app weirdness, browser app force close, etc. Next time I'll investigate more thoroughly and write up what I find, but last weekend was a "better be ready for business Monday morning" resolution by necessity.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Links