DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Droid X USB OTG Support?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Droid X USB OTG Support?

I had searched the internet for info about the Droid X supporting USB OTG and only found out that the OG Droid could do it. I took a risk and bought a micro USB to USB OTG cable and:
    It did absolutely nothing, both with a mouse and a flashdrive. So I just wanted to let others know that at the moment it does not appear to work. (Could be a ROM or driver thing, I am on Liberty GB 0.9 but I don't think so.) However if anyone has any tips or ideas to make this work, feel free to tell me.

EDIT: I tried leukram's idea and still had no luck. I tried rebooting the phone with just the cable plugged in and rebooting the phone with the flashdrive plugged into the cable. Both methods did nothing. Also I did change ROM's but I really think that the Droid X simply doesn't have the ability to do USB OTG.
    Last edited by kuboo99; 11-17-2011 at 07:40 PM.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kuboo99 View Post
    I had searched the internet for info about the Droid X supporting USB OTG and only found out that the OG Droid could do it. I took a risk and bought a micro USB to USB OTG cable and:
    It did absolutely nothing, both with a mouse and a flashdrive. So I just wanted to let others know that at the moment it does not appear to work. (Could be a ROM or driver thing, I am on Liberty GB 0.9 but I don't think so.) However if anyone has any tips or ideas to make this work, feel free to tell me.
    Did you try rebooting while having the USB OTG cable plugged in? In my research on this (not specifically for DroidX), I ran into a lot of people saying that you had to have the cable plugged in while the phone reboots. Android detects it and configures the phones USB port as a host.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I have not tried that. I will try it when I get some time and report back. Thanks for the idea.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DX1 on Vortex & Xoom on Tiamat
    I posed this question on MDW and didn't really get any responses, because I was considering buying the adapter cable you're talking about. (You're talking about Micro B to micro AB or to micro A, correct? Or micro B to regular AB?)

I know that with honeycomb on the Xoom it's not supported, but with the Tiamat rom for Xoom it works, HOWEVER I couldn't figure out how to get it to work without a USB OTG mounting app.

Stands to reason that if the ROM supports USB OTG, you may still need some mounting method.

Want me to see if I can get the APK off the Xoom for ya? I also have a DX and would like to know if this works. (I suppose you could attempt to mount via terminal, but that's not really a great solution even if it does work.)

-jason
    Last edited by scorpiomaj27; 12-28-2011 at 09:46 AM.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Well, I recently got a galaxy nexus and the otg cable works with it. The usb drive and even a mouse light up when plugged in while on the DX they dont light up at all. I am thinking it is an actual hardware limitation and not a software one. Thanks for the thought though

Links