DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Aviation GPS App

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Looking for Aviation GPS App

I fly quite a bit, and wanted to utilize my droid for navigation. Seems pretty simple.. You could overlay the GPS over sectional charts froma site like SKYVECTOR.COM. You can even get more complex to include weather, TFRs and other features... anyone thought of/done this?
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    If your a passanger forget it, by regulation no transmitters or receivers on during flight.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by missin44 View Post
    If your a passanger forget it, by regulation no transmitters or receivers on during flight.
    No I'm a pilot... want to use my phone to navigate.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Having a cell phone on doesn't actually do anything. I had my Droid on during a flight about 1.5 weeks ago. We didn't crash. There's also an episode of mythbusters on this topic...they couldn't get anything remotely close to interfering.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    BB9530
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyandem View Post
    I fly quite a bit, and wanted to utilize my droid for navigation. Seems pretty simple.. You could overlay the GPS over sectional charts froma site like SKYVECTOR.COM. You can even get more complex to include weather, TFRs and other features... anyone thought of/done this?
    It's been a long time since I used it, but doesn't DUATS or DTC-DUAT allow GPS overlay? Seems like it did back when I got my first BlackBerry, but of course it didn't have GPS. But I seem to remember wishing it did.

I have always been a pilot for fun, not commerce, and have recently gone back to low and slow. No need for the GPS anymore.

Fly Safe!
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyvol View Post
    It's been a long time since I used it, but doesn't DUATS or DTC-DUAT allow GPS overlay? Seems like it did back when I got my first BlackBerry, but of course it didn't have GPS. But I seem to remember wishing it did.

I have always been a pilot for fun, not commerce, and have recently gone back to low and slow. No need for the GPS anymore.

Fly Safe!
    I spent some time looking at DUATs, and can't find anything....
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Lol, I'm an MEI and there's an App called Rmaps that allows you to make your own maps and load them on your phone with a program called Atlas Buddy, I currently have about 5gb worth of topo maps on my phone for this app but for use in mountaineering not aviation. You could make your own maps using sectionals to overlay on the topo I believe but it would be time-consuming. There is no Aviation GPS dedicated app though.

On another note I'm surprised no-ones made an Attitude indicator app, it wouldn't be that hard and it would be nice to have a second back-up in my pocket or put it in my Saturn and get my "Instrument Driving Certificate"
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Lol at this, the GPS actually still works when in airplane mode. I wonder if they didn;t read the reg properly or just messed it up because like you stated, the reg clearly states that you can't transmit *or* receive. I use My Tracks as a de-briefing tool with my flight students.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx

Close but not quite

Here's one made for Tablet PC's.

ePilotage Overview

I plan to check with these guys and see if a PDA version is possible. I think the main issue is the size of the maps. I also fly and am starting to work on a multi-configuration weight and balance application.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links