DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Aviation GPS App

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid
    Not to rehash an old story, but if you look on Delta Airlines website under allowed electronic devices (at crusing alt) it lists GPS devices as allowed.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by shankomatic View Post
    Not to rehash an old story, but if you look on Delta Airlines website under allowed electronic devices (at crusing alt) it lists GPS devices as allowed.
    QFT w/ link...

Delta In-flight Information about Portable Electronic Devices
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Note that even if applications like this existed, they wouldn't exactly be legal to use as a primary navigation source for the airplane. The applications wouldn't be certified for flight usage (theoretically it's possible to certify them), but, the Droid hardware definitely is not.

In short, any information provided would have to be an information only kind of thing, and you would need to verify everything with the existing avionics and/or instruments that are in the plane anyway.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yawn View Post
    Note that even if applications like this existed, they wouldn't exactly be legal to use as a primary navigation source for the airplane. The applications wouldn't be certified for flight usage (theoretically it's possible to certify them), but, the Droid hardware definitely is not.

In short, any information provided would have to be an information only kind of thing, and you would need to verify everything with the existing avionics and/or instruments that are in the plane anyway.
    i was just about to say something about that myself lol. i'm sure he would be using this just for fun anyhow. the attitude indicator would also be a cool app.

@rotordroid: i think the weight and balance app is a great idea as well. i'm studying to be an A&P mechanic right now and we do plenty of weight and balance calculations
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by yawn View Post

Even the current lineup of aviation portables are all for assistance in nav, only your IFR certified in panel systems are good to go in that reguard.

Someone might make an app, of course until then you could use GM with topo, but ... I have a 430 in the console, and a 496 on the cyclic mount, haven't yet really needed it on my droid hehehe.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    The new Garmin AV8OR tablet-sized and handheld-sized versions are IFR certified up to non-precision approaches. They also only cost about $1000/$2000 respectively and can do things like play music and videos, or convert to an auto GPS database when you're on the ground. You can hook it up to (XM I believe) satellite weather antennas to get realtime weather overlay.

It's a must-have for any VFR pilot, in my opinion.

The Droid, on the other hand, is nowhere near accurate or stable enough to use as an avionics system. You *might* be able to get away with using the compass as an HSI.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Av8or is Bendix, newest Garmin portable is the 696 tablet, while it can satisfy the electronic chart requirements, neither are approach certified.

Can you post a link to the ones you are speaking about?
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I will be starting flight classes in fall... I am so stoked
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    XM Weather overlay in IMC rocks!
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Good day,

This software can be use for navigation and flight planning. It's developed for Android and has many functions.

QRouting

Regards,

QRouting Team.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links