DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Droid X Needs To Unrooted For Warranty Replacement

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Unhappy Droid X Needs To Unrooted For Warranty Replacement

Hello, I would like to first start off by giving thanks for taking the time to read this post. My Droid X suffered some water damage a while back causing the ear speaker, camera, and volume down button to stop working. For some strange reason, the water damage indicator behind the battery cover is intact, so my phone is eligible for a warranty replacement. I, however, rooted my phone before it received the damage, and am now struggling to unroot it before I can take it to a Verizon store for a replacement. Last time I went some really *****y CSR told me "that's what you get for getting something for free 'tethering'." What I would like to know is if there is a way to revert back to the stock Droid X rom without using the volume down key in the process.

Thanks
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Aside from the rooting, the water damage voided the warranty. Just because the sticker is intact, doesn't mean the inside of the phone is free of corrosion.

You're gambling at that point and could be charged $300 with no recourse. You would be sent photos of the damage though.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    You're best off finding a stock .sbf image and using RSD Lite to flash it back to stock. That's always been the easiest route for me at least.
    Vatothe0 is right though, there's a good chance that they'll notice the water damage. If you send your phone off or have it service in-store somehow, they'll be able to disassemble the device and will likely notice the liquid-damage. Corrosion and residue from the fluids should be fairly apparent upon disassembly by one of their technicians. When they notice this, you could get hit with a charge for a new phone at its retail or refurbished price (which is significantly higher than the price you pay with a contract) unless they're willing to ship it back to un-repaired.
    Unfortunately, you're a bit out of luck unless you carry insurance on your phone.
  4. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    I think the main concern for the OP was not necessarily how to unroot but how to do it without the use of the volume down button. I can think of several ways to return to stock, however they all include using the volume down button.

At least thats what I got out of reading their post.

@ Drum,
    Are you running a custom ROM if not what are you running and how have you modded it?
    Last edited by JSM9872; 09-11-2011 at 02:33 PM.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    oooo that could be a bit of an issue. If the op flashed another custom rom via Rom Manager, he might be able to get one with additional reboot options. I know some custom ones allow you hold the power button down and then reset into the bootloader. This would at least allow them to use RSD Lite at that point.
    There might be some easier and updated options like: Root and Unroot Your DROID X with 1 Click - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog that would just allow them to connect it and easily unroot it. SuperOneClick comes to mind as well but it doesn't seem to mention the Droid X being an applicable model.
    To my knowledge, I don't think those two options use the volume rocker. RSD Lite and the one click root options generally do all the work from a pc without user interaction on the phone itself.
  6. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    Yeah a little more info on the OS and state of the OP's phone would make it a bit easier for us to move forward.

Knowing that info I am sure we could McGuyver a solution together but right now I would say there are too many variables. I am also wondering about the camera button. It says that the camera doesnt work but does not mention the button, that would effect it as well.
    Last edited by JSM9872; 09-11-2011 at 02:51 PM.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Thanks for your responses. To be more clear, the camera button does work, but when the camera pops up its just pitch black. I didn't do any modding that I can remember of but I did change the ROM to Android 2.3.3.
    System version: 4.5.573.MB810.Verizon.en.US
    Baseband verison: BP_C_01.09.07P
    Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g5a891f6
    w30471@il93lnxdroid42 #1
    Build number: 4.5.1_57_DX5-3
    ERI: 5
    PRL: 52299
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I forgot to add, I tried to use the sbf using RSD 4.8 but I can't get it to recognize my phone to save my life.
    Last edited by Drumrintheline; 09-11-2011 at 04:15 PM.
  9. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    Ok sorry I couldnt get back on to reply. You say you are on 2.3.3 but the system and baseband appear to be those of 2.2.1. Are you sure you are on 2.3.3?

Also, you say you are trying to get RSD to recognize your phone. Are you able to get into the bootloader? What about clockwork, can you get into there?
    Last edited by JSM9872; 09-11-2011 at 06:23 PM.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Yes. It says 2.3.3, and for some strange reason when I connect my phone to my computer using PC Mode and do a restart (power off and on) it seems to go into bootloader mode. I don't really know what clockwork is so......
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links