DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: EVDO status/signal bar

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

EVDO status/signal bar

Ok, even the most basic verizon phones have two signal bars. 1 that displays the bars and signal for the EVDO RevA data network and 1 that displays the bars and signal status for how good your call signal is. Why doesnt the Moto Droid have this? It only display 1 status that shows your signal strength. Is there an app or a way to get this most basic feature on the droid? Usually signal bars for 1X (bars}
    EV{bars}

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid v2.1
    actually it does have this. 3g is 1xEVDO, so when you have 1xEVDO, you see 3g, wen you dont have it, you dont see 3g, you just see regular bars which is 1xrtt and 1xevdo(yes EVDO and evdo are two different network types the caps disgutingushes the two)

So you do have that, its just fancier looking than say a Samsung Knack :-P
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    But is doest show the signal strength. Like with bars ill know that 4 bars is way better signal than 1 bar. Does the Droid support Verizon's upcoming 4G network?
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid v2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by jared1337 View Post
    But is doest show the signal strength. Like with bars ill know that 4 bars is way better signal than 1 bar. Does the Droid support Verizon's upcoming 4G network?
    Even being an employee I have no idea how the "4g" aka LTE is going to effect current phones. All i know is that as soon as this launches..Its going to be a wrap as far as any other company comming halfway as close to data speeds we will be able to transmit. Look to see another Verizon Hub(home phone that uses VOIP), a 4g LTE "I-Phone" type device(not specificlally the iphone but with this rolling out, theres no way they are gonna roll it out without a HUGEEEE phone launch behind it), or another series of sick droids.

Again all this i say is speculation, as i have no real proof to "leak" about any of this.

And to your post question, my droid shows signal strength lol..
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @berzerker7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by jared1337 View Post
    It's not indicative of signal strength. The meter of "bars" on CDMA phones (Verizon or Sprint's network) indicates activity. 1 bar indicates high activity on the tower you're connected to, while 4 bars indicate low activity. As long as you have service, you should be able to properly place a call, though it may take slightly longer for you to connect it.

And the Droid does not support Verizon's upcoming 4G (LTE) network. LTE is based off of WCDMA (not to be confused with CDMA) which is the currently used in GSM networks such as AT&T and T-Mobile for the 3G protocol.

Retired: Motorola Droid, HTC Droid Incredible. VZW iPhone
    Current phone: Droid Bionic
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Are there any phones that are 4G supported right now? And would it be possible to have the Droid support 4G? I understand it can't support it right now, but would it be possible for it to be supported by a patch or something in the future after 4G becomes common? I'm not too keen on these things so, sorry for the n00b question.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted Droid @ 1Ghz
    No existing phone will be updated to work on the LTE (4G) network, since the hardware requirements won't be met.
    Like any business rolling out a new network will provide an opportunity to sell new phones, and new data plans for that matter, and they won't pass up an opportunity like that.
    What we'll see is a (4G) Droid2 rolled out sometime this year would be my guess.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    The only thing that 4G might bring to current verizon smart phone users is to reduce the ammount of activity on the 3G network...It is my belief that netbook style devices will dominate the 4G system.

Links