DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: SDCard shows damaged - Is there a way to go back to Virgin w/out SDCard?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Exclamation SDCard shows damaged - Is there a way to go back to Virgin w/out SDCard?

I do not have a clue as to what happened to the sdcard in my Droid. Did a reboot earlier and when the system was back up, it gave a notification that that sdcard was damaged and did I want to format, having no other choice, I formated, but did not help.

Is there a way to use adb through recovery to restore a vigin-oem back-up? If not, I guess I be buying a new sdcard and trying to restore with it.

Edit: This is the 2nd one I have had that has given me problems with the sdcard. And yes, I am always careful to un-mount when I am done transferring files to or from comp.
    Last edited by Stormwulf; 01-17-2010 at 01:00 AM.
    "What man is a man, that does not make the world better." Kingdom of Heaven

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event but a habit.” Aristotle, 384 – 322 BC
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwulf View Post
    I do not have a clue as to what happened to the sdcard in my Droid. Did a reboot earlier and when the system was back up, it gave a notification that that sdcard was damaged and did I want to format, having no other choice, I formated, but did not help.

Is there a way to use adb through recovery to restore a vigin-oem back-up? If not, I guess I be buying a new sdcard and trying to restore with it.

Edit: This is the 2nd one I have had that has given me problems with the sdcard. And yes, I am always careful to un-mount when I am done transferring files to or from comp.
    Pretty sure the recovery is set to only look for images/backups on the SDcard, so if the SD card is screwed, I think you might be out of luck. There might me a much more longer drawn out process to do it without using the recovery system, but I'm not aware of such a process yet.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I kinda thought as much. Guess I'll pick up a small 2g micro tomorrow and see how it goes. Its seen some heavy useage over the past couple weeks, but really shouldn't have just died. Considering this is the 2nd sdcard one I've had to belly up on me.

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event but a habit.” Aristotle, 384 – 322 BC
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    You should try to pick up a higher class card...the one included with the phone is a class 2. I know that the higher number indicates an increase in data speed...I suspect though that its a higher quality device as well.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2 rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by m21knight View Post
    You should try to pick up a higher class card...the one included with the phone is a class 2. I know that the higher number indicates an increase in data speed...I suspect though that its a higher quality device as well.
    i agree, i think the best is a class 6, IMO if your gonna shell out $ for another sd, screw the 2g and get a top of the line 16,
    32g micro are sooo close. cant wait
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Ah... Class 2 eh? Ok. When I first started researching the sd cards I was seeing people stating they were class 6.

Anyway, after doing further research I see that class 6 will in effect burn through faster than say a slower speed with heavier usage. I won't say that I expect to have heavy usage, but I have been doing a lot of trial stuff moving files back and forth from comp to card.

One of the major things I found out, is that when unmounting the sd card, it really, really needs to be "ejected" or whatever term your OS uses to unmount the card from the OS before unmounting on the phone itself. I found a lot of documentation regarding this since the Droid has been out.

Seems the OS sees the sd card as a drive rather than a storage device.

Since I first posted this, I have made an exchange for a new Droid because of the card and some other things the Droid wasn't behaving at.

Thanks for the heads up about the class of stock card.
    Last edited by Stormwulf; 01-21-2010 at 09:43 PM.

7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by m21knight View Post
    It has nothing to do with quality, just data transfer speeds. A class 6 card is much faster, yes, but it's not going to last any longer. Flash memory does tend to wear out.
  8. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I had this problem

I just reformatted it from the menu's and it was a-ok

I think mine happened when I pulled it off of the docking station (hooked up to the computer)

I lost everything on it, including christmas photos, but it salvaged it
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    The Droid 'supports' Class 6 cards. But at this point Class 4 is really all you need. Even when/if we get the ability to run apps from the SD card Class 4 will be fine (the extra throughput of Class 6 is really only useful if you're dealing with LARGE files like HD video). And the $$ difference between them isn't really worth it (unless you happen to find the Class 6 on sale). These cards do burn out after a bit so if/when we get App2SD be cautious with how much you us it.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe

Links