DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Did you try 2.1?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I'm keeping it

7 13.46%
  • Yes, but I reverted back to 2.0.1

21 40.38%
  • No, but I want to try it

4 7.69%
  • No, and I don't want to try it

0 0%
  • No, I'm waiting for the official release

20 38.46%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My problems with 2.1 and why I'm sticking with 2.0.1

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid w/ SS4.6, 1Ghz

Unhappy My problems with 2.1 and why I'm sticking with 2.0.1

I'm no hacker, but I am addicted to getting my phone to do things it normally wouldn't do. As you can tell by the title and the great news of 2.1 coming to the DROID in the upcoming weeks, my recent endeavor was to get 2.1 installed on my phone. I successfully got two different versions of 2.1 running on my phone. First, I tried the nandroid backup by ChevyNo1, who appears to be a very talented person. That WiFi tether patcher worked flawlessly for me, so kudos for that. Using that backup did not go all that well. So, I decided to revert back to 2.0.1 and found the base GREEK35T Rev.0.0.41 and installed that. Unfortunately, this was pretty much the same thing. At first, the DROID was even faster. I couldn't believe it at first, it worked great. Then I started playing with it a bit more and found the following issues. Granted, some of them are minor, but worth, IMO, going back to 2.0.1:

• The app menu has a lot of font misformatting. Even short app titles would be positioned all the way to the right and would only show 3-5 characters
    • The app menu was also quite slow and buggy. After scrolling past the point of the first line of apps, I would not be able to get back to that line without closing the app menu and re-opening it. It's only four apps, but still...
    • The OS rapidly lost its speed. It exponentially got slower and slower. I killed ever app I could find and it wouldn't make a difference. We're talking 4-10 hours of rare usage and the phone would drop in performance by at least 40%
    • This one is probably the deciding factor in reverting. My e-mails wouldn't come in. I noticed after about a day that none of my 4 accounts were getting emails. I have 3 IMAP (two different providers) and 1 POP3 and none of them would come through. I even manually tried refreshing them and nothing came through. No errors, nothing. Like there was no email. I reverted back to 2.0.1 and guess what? I was bombarded with emails.
    • The initial sync is very slow to perform and rarely completes. As I mentioned above, I tried two different 2.1 images and both yielded the same results. I checked after 12 hours and 2 reboots and it still hadn't pulled down images from Facebook as an example, nor did all of my settings restore. My initial sync with 2.0 took all of 60 seconds. Yes, I am in 3G and yes, I do have good signal.
    • As mentioned before, I was using 2.1 on a DROID (which may be the source of this issue). When I would slide the screen up or down, the orientation would change, but I wouldn't ever get my actual home screen background or icons to come back. I'd have to hit the home button for those to come back.
    • When in an app or on one of the "spare screens" and I hit the home button, it usually results in a baron screen, no icons, no widgets, no nothing. I usually hit home again to get this to come back. The notification bar is still there, however. It basically looks like a spare screen with no icons or widgets on it.
    • I noticed the reboots are slower than 2.0.1, but that's probably to be expected.
    • The market doesn't update the apps that I backed up with Astro file manager. This was probably the biggest disappointment as the best feature of Android IMO is the integration and cohesion of all apps. The only ones that restored from the marketplace were the ones I purchased.
    • Of course, as a lot of people have reported, I had massive issues with the physical keyboard backlight. I was under the impression that this was fixed in the latest GREEK35T revisions, but I still had problems with it. This combined with everything above told me I should just revert instead of trying to fix this one.

In conclusion, I would like to state that Android is the Blackberry and iPhone killer hands down. The fact that they're not as anal as Blackberry and Apple and Android is now available on almost all carriers will butcher the iPhone in the long run. Blackberry has a strong business following on multiple networks so that will take a while longer to get rid of. I switched from a Storm and paid an extravagant amount of money for the DROID and haven't looked back since it yelled DROID at me for the first time. I'd do it again I tell ya.

With that said, I really hope that the versions of 2.1 that I tried are solely built for the Nexus 1 and that Google will tweak it before pushing it out to the DROID. All I know is 2.0.1 is much better as of right now. I will try 2.1 again at the official release and see how it goes.

Also, I just wanted to say that I'm not intending on bashing anything about Android, Google, the DROID, 2.1, or the people that have tried 2.1. I'm hoping to inform other DROID users of the issues I've had. Maybe I have a retarded DROID, or maybe the user is retarded. Either way, the cons far outweigh the pros at this point.

3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Aw shucks thanks for the kind words

I've been going back and forth between 2.0.1 and 2.1 .. and overall pretty much agree with your observations ... biggest reason for me to go back to 2.0.1 is the new sholes 2.1 apps on 2.0.1, along with overclocking and wifi-tether all working, AND brightness ... so I'm also back on 2.0.1 for the moment
    Last edited by ChevyNo1; 01-12-2010 at 11:14 PM.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidMod 1.0
    I agree 100%

But know that most if not all of the issues you mention will be worked out by the time Motorola releases 2.1 to us droid users. Once it's rooted, I'll be on that side of the fence, but until then, 2.0.1 with 2.1 apps is just fine with me.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid w/ SS4.6, 1Ghz

Odd

Quote Originally Posted by dtrb View Post
    I agree 100%

But know that most if not all of the issues you mention will be worked out by the time Motorola releases 2.1 to us droid users. Once it's rooted, I'll be on that side of the fence, but until then, 2.0.1 with 2.1 apps is just fine with me.
    That's odd. I had root access no problem with 2.1. Again, I'm no hacker, but I know I had root access within 2.1.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidMod 1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by buee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrb View Post
    I agree 100%

That's odd. I had root access no problem with 2.1. Again, I'm no hacker, but I know I had root access within 2.1.
    Yea, sorry, got a little carried away there. Point is, if Motorola can get all the kinks worked out, then I'm in.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid w/ SS4.6, 1Ghz

Official

What worries me most is that they may not get all of the bugs worked out of it before it ships. I'm curious as to how it functions on the Nexus One. There will be a lot of angry people out there if they get this thing and can't receive e-mail. All of the other problems could be found on any other smartphone, but the email thing really shoots 2.1 in the foot.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    This is the whole point of us having to wait and wait and wait for our official release of 2.1...as of the moment, it is only built for the N1. They will optimize our version...they're doing so right now. Of course those cooked up ROMs wont work 100% because they were never meant for a Droid. They were meant for a Snapdragon running phone...not the Droids hardware...and when they do optimize it for us Droid users it will run as smooth as 2.0.1 did when it came OTA...
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    you need to add "no becuz i'm too gd stupid to try but i do have some parts of it" then i'll vote lol
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

-Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!

If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted Droid @ 1Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNo1 View Post

I've been going back and forth between 2.0.1 and 2.1 .. and overall pretty much agree with your observations ... biggest reason for me to go back to 2.0.1 is the new sholes 2.1 apps on 2.0.1, along with overclocking and wifi-tether all working, AND brightness ... so I'm also back on 2.0.1 for the moment
    This is exactly the route I went as well after trying 2.1.

Why deal with the bugs when you can have all the apps from 2.1 without the problems ?
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid w/ SS4.6, 1Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by Topsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyNo1 View Post

This is exactly the route I went as well after trying 2.1.

Why deal with the bugs when you can have all the apps from 2.1 without the problems ?
    Well, prepare to laugh. You wanna know what the best feature of 2.1 is IMO? It's not the new app tray, it's not live wallpapers, it's not 5 screens. The reason I want 2.1 is that seamless integration of voice-to-text for emails and text messaging. That's it. Go ahead and laugh.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links