Hello all,
I have been trying to create a simple compass functionality in an application. I created the simple application doing testing on my Motorola droid 1 (2.22) and nexus S(2.34) and they seemed to work correctly (accuracy was not the best how-ever they work similar to other apps on the same phone so any differences i assumed to be hardware error).

However i then tested the app on a droid X (2.33) and the results were completely different (and completely wrong). When the phone is rolled around 45 degrees (rotated around z axis a computer coordinate system) the compass heading returned can change over 180 degrees. The heading value even goes in the opposite direction of the other phones (nexus s and droid 1) when spun in the same direction. This is the only phone that produces this result even after calibrating in the settings and doing the normal figure 8 motion. Also when i test against another compass app on the droid x it doesnt seem to have the same issue, but my compass app on the other phones lines up with the 3rd party compass app. So I would assume there would be something i can do in software to avoid this but there is nothing i can find and most people say my code looks correct. Also what would be the difference between these phones to cause this do i have to have special cases for phones that have issues like this?

Here is my code to perform the orientation calculations

Code:
public void onSensorChanged(SensorEvent event)
    {
        // If the sensor data is unreliable return
        if (event.accuracy == SensorManager.SENSOR_STATUS_UNRELIABLE)
        {
            Toast.makeText(main.this, "Sensor Status Unreliable",Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
        }

// Gets the value of the sensor that has been changed
        switch (event.sensor.getType())
        {
        case Sensor.TYPE_ACCELEROMETER:
            m_vfgravity = event.values.clone();
            break;
        case Sensor.TYPE_MAGNETIC_FIELD:
            m_vfgeomag = event.values.clone();
            break;
        }

if (m_vfgravity != null && m_vfgeomag != null)
        {
            if(SensorManager.getRotationMatrix(m_vfinR, m_vfI, m_vfgravity, m_vfgeomag))
            {
                SensorManager.getOrientation(m_vfinR, m_vforientVals);

m_fCompBearing = (float) Math.round((Math.toDegrees(m_vforientVals[0])) *2)/2;

//convert to 0-360 from -180-180
                if(m_fCompBearing < 0.0)
                {
                    m_fCompBearing = 360 + m_fCompBearing;
                }

mCompHead.setText("" + (int)m_fCompBearing);
            }

calcOffset();   
            rotateCmp();
        }
    }

and my initialization code

Code:
mSMngr = (SensorManager) getSystemService(Context.SENSOR_SERVICE);
    mSListener = new cSensorListener();

mSMngr.registerListener(mSListener,
            mSMngr.getDefaultSensor(Sensor.TYPE_MAGNETIC_FIELD),
            SensorManager.SENSOR_DELAY_UI);
    mSMngr.registerListener(mSListener,
            mSMngr.getDefaultSensor(Sensor.TYPE_ACCELEROMETER),
            SensorManager.SENSOR_DELAY_UI);
Any insight and or advice would be greatly appreciated. This bug has been haunting me for almost a week now with no solution in sight. I still cant even identify the root of the problem.

Thanks in advance !!