DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [TUT] Wipe it right! Battery stats tut

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    I don't post on twitz
    Phone
    Motorola droid 1

[TUT] Wipe it right! Battery stats tut

Battery issues have been a big concern with most android phone owners who like to flash new roms. Sometimes, they find out that their battery seems to have dropped very quickly, sometimes even skipping percentages. A common example is leaving your phone at 50%, then coming back to it 10 minutes later to find it at 20%!

This tutorial will teach you NOT ONLY how to wipe battery stats, but make sure battery issues do not occur after flashing new ROMS. Lets hit up some facts really quick.

True or False - Wiping battery stats is a long and tedious process.
    True and false! There are two methods. The standard wipe and wait, or a new method found by Zeppelinrox. I have not tested his method yet, but you can feel free to try.

So lets start the tutorial!
    1. CHARGE YOUR PHONE TO 100 PERCENT, THIS IS CRUCIAL!
    2. Wipe your battery stats :P (go to the next step)
    3. To wipe your battery stats, boot into clockword recovery OR Raidzero recovery. Either one can wipe battery stats.
    4. Reboot into recovery either by the shutdown menu (if your rom supports it) or by holding down the x (on your physical keyboard) and the power button until you see the recovery.
    5. If you have Raidzero recovery, go to step 6. If you have Clockwork recovery, go to step 9.
    6. RZ PROCEDURE: go to "wipe options"
      select "wipe battery stats"
    7. Go to step 10
    8. CLOCKWORK PROCEDURE: Go to "advanced"
    9. Select "wipe battery stats"
    10. reboot your phone. As soon as the screen goes black after you select "reboot", unplug your phone from the wall!
    Ok, your battery stats have been wiped. However, the procedure isn't over yet. So have your battery stats "calibrated" correctly, you need to use it normally untill it is at 5%, then plug it in to charge WITHOUT USING IT! The guidlines to follow until the battery reaches 5% are :

• Do not reboot your phone
    • Do not shut off your phone
    • Do not attempt to drain your battery to get the procedure over with
    Now that your battery is at 5%, or you just want to know the whole tutorial before wiping your battery stats, its time to charge the phone. The guidelines for the final step is this:

• DO NOT USE YOUR PHONE AT ALL UNTILL IT IS FULLY CHARGED!
    I am fairly positive that this is the biggest step that users mess up on, and then they believe its the rom's fault for battery percent skips!

If you want to know whether your phone is fully charged or not, just look to see if a light is on where your phone is plugged into. If it is on, it is still charging.

Next, I am going to cover the biggest problem users make when installing a new rom. Its quite simple to explain actually. THEY REBOOT THEIR PHONE!

When you wipe your phone, the battery stats get wiped as well! It is just like wiping battery stats! To avoid all battery issues, follow this easy tutorial!

1. Use your phone until it is at 5%
    2. Plug in your phone to charge and DON'T USE IT!
    And thats really all! But you have to do the full procedure every time you wipe data/cache!!!

On a side note, I don't like the way this tutorial looks... I may revise it on my own time later...
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Thanks for this. Seems to have fixed my battery issues.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Twitter
    shunyata31
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Thanks for posting this. Quick question. I use the app battery calibration. It wipes the stat file and it suggests the same to charge to 100,run the app, use to 5%, charge to 100. This is the same thing right and it saves you from having to go into clockwork. Am I wrong?

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz
    Ldopa
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus (CDMA)
    nice tutorial for wiping batt stats, I have never bothered doing this as I use 3 batterys in rotation, and a seperate external AC charger, so I am never charging from my phone. However recently I have noticed that my percentage readings have been random and quite buggy, will go from 80% down to 50% in a matter of minutes, I will shut the phone off, pull the batt, turn it back on with the same batt again and it reads %70,

QUESTION: I never shutdown the phone to swap batteries @ 5% I let it go until the phone shuts itself off then I swap, is this hurting my overall batt performance? I've always thought it was best to fully drain and charge my batteries in any portable device.
    Help me and my school earn more dropbox space! Click here to create your free account and get some bonus space too<3
    G
    oogle Galaxy Nexus
    (AOKP JB NIGHTLIES) | Nook Color(CM7.2-RC2 MiRaGe - KANG)
    RETIRED: Dream (G1) | Droid 2

5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    ...Or you can just delete data/system/batterystats.bin with a file explorer.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Twitter
    shunyata31
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidBurgundy View Post
    nice tutorial for wiping batt stats, I have never bothered doing this as I use 3 batterys in rotation, and a seperate external AC charger, so I am never charging from my phone. However recently I have noticed that my percentage readings have been random and quite buggy, will go from 80% down to 50% in a matter of minutes, I will shut the phone off, pull the batt, turn it back on with the same batt again and it reads %70,

QUESTION: I never shutdown the phone to swap batteries @ 5% I let it go until the phone shuts itself off then I swap, is this hurting my overall batt performance? I've always thought it was best to fully drain and charge my batteries in any portable device.
    Deep discharge of the battery is not recommended.

Ldopa
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    I don't post on twitz
    Phone
    Motorola droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ldopa View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Quick question. I use the app battery calibration. It wipes the stat file and it suggests the same to charge to 100,run the app, use to 5%, charge to 100. This is the same thing right and it saves you from having to go into clockwork. Am I wrong?

I'm not sure when the file is re made... But if you don't have any battery percent skips, you may be fine.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    I don't post on twitz
    Phone
    Motorola droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by poontab View Post
    ...Or you can just delete data/system/batterystats.bin with a file explorer.
    But not everyone has a file manager with root, or knows how to mount the data file as root. Though, if it is in the data file, I'm wondering if it can be deleted with ADB? probably not...
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    I don't post on twitz
    Phone
    Motorola droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidBurgundy View Post
    It does hurt your battery, though I can't say how much. Luckily, batteries are cheap... or at least android batteries are!
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    SuperCharged Milestone
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    On milestone, batterystats.bin gets created on the M logo if it is missing.

If I'm in android and have it plugged in and delete batterystats.bin, it will get created if I unplug it.

In the Open Recover I have there is a console so I can go there and just type
    rm data/system/batterystats.bin

Some may know that I came up with the no battery boot method where you leave the battery out until you see the lock screen and then pop it in.

Anyway, milestone will also let me into recovery with no battery as well lol
    Blazing Fast Milestone Powered by my V6 SuperCharger Script

If you're a SuperCharger too, consider clicking the button
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links