DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: Wireless Tether Patcher - One-Click Solution - 2.x

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcle View Post
    thank you for your answer. i think you can root a ota 2.1. see link below. my phone had never been rooted, not roms, all stock. rooted it yesterday. in terminal i get the # with the su comand. installed busybox. the best i can tell it is rooted.

http://forum.droidmod.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=0c4963d00b4623d49e10c2af90c94e d8&/topic,1004.0.html
    I'm about 99.9% sure that what those directions are actually having you do is flash the ENTIRE phone (and actually, there are much easier ways to do that). Did it reset all your settings and require you to re-install apps when you did that?

For future reference, what you have (I'm pretty sure) is not a rooted OTA 2.1, but just a regular rooted 2.1. It's the same version, and mostly the same, but you installed it with RSDLite, so it is no longer "over the air". Saying "OTA" when it's not is likely going to confuse people.

In any case, still don't follow the method in this thread - start a new thread in hacking help to figure out wifi and overclocking. Leave out the OTA part, or you'll get a lot more people telling you the same thing.
    you may be correct, but i can say that nothing, no one thing changed on my phone with settings or apps, but it is now rooted.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    you may be correct, but i can say that nothing, no one thing changed on my phone with settings or apps, but it is now rooted.
    Oh, interesting. If that's the case, that means the SBF *only* changes the bootloader and doesn't have to install all of ESE81. That could be a big step forward for easily getting root on a 2.1 updated phone without losing data.

The instructions on that site will probably get a LOT simpler once somebody packages up those manually ADB pushed things into an update.zip file. Then it will just be "flash this SBF" followed by "install this update.zip". I bet the 2.0.1 root update.zip would work, since all it does is push those files.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    Oh, interesting. If that's the case, that means the SBF *only* changes the bootloader and doesn't have to install all of ESE81. That could be a big step forward for easily getting root on a 2.1 updated phone without losing data.

The instructions on that site will probably get a LOT simpler once somebody packages up those manually ADB pushed things into an update.zip file. Then it will just be "flash this SBF" followed by "install this update.zip". I bet the 2.0.1 root update.zip would work, since all it does is push those files.
    That's exactly what I did. Used RSDLite to get SPRecovery as the bootloader. Then used the file in this post which contains a completely stock OTA 2.1 update.zip that pushes the ADB commands when flashed. I went from a stock OTA 2.1 to an OTA 2.1 with root access. Nothing else changed and I didn't have to wipe anything.

Updated with one of Chevy's kernels, downloaded android-wifi-tether and now I'm overclocked with wifi tether on an otherwise stock 2.1 ROM and I've been able to keep all of my apps and data in the process.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Ive tried to install the wireless tethering and install goes perfectly but every time when phone goes to do the final reboot it sits at the moto screen. So i have to end up nandroid my phone back to life. Ive tried it multiple times and every time the same thing happens.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Followed the instructions step by step and just bricks the phone every time. I guess it's time to find another way.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 1

clockworkmod

i use clockworkmod because i prefer it, so i did this whole process with it instead of sprecovery. everything flashed and loaded fine on the PC end but after that was done, the phone just sat at the Moto boot screen. why is this? shouldn't both CM and SPR function the same in this instance? thanks!
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I could be wrong but I do not think this process is needed anymore. I took my buddies stock 2.1 phone, rooted it, loaded a Froyo rom and the Wifi Tether App for Droid and it just worked?

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpressure View Post
    I could be wrong but I do not think this process is needed anymore. I took my buddies stock 2.1 phone, rooted it, loaded a Froyo rom and the Wifi Tether App for Droid and it just worked?

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code
    10-4....i got my droid about 3 weeks ago so i'm catching up with what everyone else is doing. appreciate the tip. where and what file type is the tether app and how'd you install it? thanks

EDIT: nevermind i found the apk file and used sdk to install it...awesome! thanks for the tip
    Last edited by izzyfanto; 08-25-2010 at 08:42 PM.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Yup, you might have noticed the age of this thread...
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Links