DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Titanium Backup Users Guide

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Original Droid 1 on Revol
    Good Link, Helped me a lot, thanks man
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #

Titanium BU Questions

Im glad I found this post and figured I could get the details I need on this forum. I am rooted but not all that technical so my question may seem basic. I have Titanium BU Pro on Motorola Bionic and have run an update zip back up. I am going to get a new phone (either Razr Maxx or Galaxy)that has Gingerbread (right now on my Bionic I have ICS). Will the difference in OS cause some of the settings in the backed-up system/user apps to not restore?

Next question is;
    Once I set up my Google account on the new phone, the contacts and apps populate. So I will then go into Titanium BU and "restore" the update zip. Is this correct? Or do I somehow run the update zip from the sdcard before setting up Google (not sure this is even posible-just asking)?

Next question;
    Could you let me know if the apps and contacts get updated twice because Google installs them and then so does Titanium; I presume they wont but looking for assurance. If they do, how do i prevent Google from populating my apps and contacts before TBU does it? I read once there was some setting in Google or the phone to stop this (maybe a market setting). Again this might not be necessary but just checking.

Thanks everyone for any insight you can shed.
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by collegerx View Post
    Im glad I found this post and figured I could get the details I need on this forum. I am rooted but not all that technical so my question may seem basic. I have Titanium BU Pro on Motorola Bionic and have run an update zip back up. I am going to get a new phone (either Razr Maxx or Galaxy)that has Gingerbread (right now on my Bionic I have ICS). Will the difference in OS cause some of the settings in the backed-up system/user apps to not restore?

Next question is;
    Once I set up my Google account on the new phone, the contacts and apps populate. So I will then go into Titanium BU and "restore" the update zip. Is this correct? Or do I somehow run the update zip from the sdcard before setting up Google (not sure this is even posible-just asking)?

Next question;
    Could you let me know if the apps and contacts get updated twice because Google installs them and then so does Titanium; I presume they wont but looking for assurance. If they do, how do i prevent Google from populating my apps and contacts before TBU does it? I read once there was some setting in Google or the phone to stop this (maybe a market setting). Again this might not be necessary but just checking.

Thanks everyone for any insight you can shed.
    The difference in OS may have a negative/incompatible affect on installing from TiBU. I recommend installing apps fresh from the play store. That ensures a clean install. Generally, I only use TiBU to have the ability to install previous versions of an app (because the current upgraded version has bugs).

You also will have to root your new phone before you can use TiBU to restore your apps.

I've would recommend that if you use TiBU to restore apps & settings to restore one at a time. That way you have better chance of discovering what may cause problems.

Here is a post I wrote a while ago on backup & restoring that may be helpful. One word of caution is to make sure you have your backups saved to your external card or to your pc.

As a guide for ideas when backing up and restoring before doing an fdr see: Getting the most success upgrading to ICS from GB

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Thanks. Excellent advice. I read your post too.

Could you explain if there is a way to prevent Google from automatically loading apps? In my apps if I uncheck the account then would that do it? Can that be done without removing my Gmail account from the phone settings so that the phone functions even if market is unable to work/apps aren't loaded yet?

Should I root the phone before or after apps load?

If I do load some apps with TiBU there would not be redundancy by the market, correct? Or do I need to do something to ensure no redundant downloads.

I'm new and this is my second post so thanks for your experience.
  5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by collegerx View Post
    Thanks. Excellent advice. I read your post too.

Could you explain if there is a way to prevent Google from automatically loading apps? In my apps if I uncheck the account then would that do it? Can that be done without removing my Gmail account from the phone settings so that the phone functions even if market is unable to work/apps aren't loaded yet?

Should I root the phone before or after apps load?

If I do load some apps with TiBU there would not be redundancy by the market, correct? Or do I need to do something to ensure no redundant downloads.

I'm new and this is my second post so thanks for your experience.
    You are welcome. Glad it helped. For your other questions (very good ones)...

First question: yes, you can keep your apps from automatically installing which is what I do because I like to install one at a time. First, in play store settings, uncheck “Auto-update apps." Second, and more important, go into the phone settings, then privacy and uncheck “Back up my data" (I keep this checked until I do a factory reset or activating a new phone. Then I uncheck it. That way my data gets backed up but doesn't automatically restore when setting up my phone).

Also, if after you activate your phone and you see that apps are automatically installing, go into play store, then "My apps" and select stop.

Next question... I don't think it will matter a whole lot if you root your phone first or wait till your apps load.

Last question... if you do install some or any apps using TiBU (or any other backup program) it won't duplicate. If an app is already installed, it will replace that installation so you will be fine.

And welcome to the forum. We are a great place with lots of great people who are super helpful.

6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Awesome! Thanks for taking the the time. Much appreciated.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Btw.. I just looked and I don't have auto update checked. In phone settings I do have data backup checked. I'm good with this. But what do TiBU or My Backup do that this doesn't. Is this setting only triggering some system app data?
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    TiBU, my Backup & sms Backup will save call logs, text msgs and some settings that the phone setting backup doesn't... call logs and text msgs are probably the biggest difference between them.

9. Junior Droid
    Member #

tibu issue

Well I have the razrmax hd rooted and updated to JB and after restoring some apps from the market i wanted to restore just app data with tibu. Problem is that I cant get to the backup sets. Turns out I had everything backed up to my bionic internal storage (confusing when android calls intrnal storage "sd card" and I didnt know there was also "external sd". So needless to say it isnt in the external card in the razr. So I used my pc to move the files from the internalon bionic and wanted to get them to the new phone. For some reason the tibu folder wont copy over.but the update zip file that tibu generated is available b/c it isnt in the tibu folder

As a last resort I figured I could use the tibu update zip file but even though I could copy it over to the new phone I do not know how to extract or restore it.

Without the back up files on the razr I see no data backups in titanium app to restore.

Ultimately Id like to restore all apps from the market and use the zip to restore data and settings. Kind if stuck now.

Is this someting you can help with?
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Tecno N3
    Titanium backup is one of d best apps i have used of recent...cool app and thanks for the guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links