DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu questions and such....

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 2.3.20.A955

Ubuntu questions and such....

I've got a dell inspiron 1525 with windows vista 32 bit 86x and have been researching on developing app(s) and saw that using Ubuntu system with Eclipse is the way to go. So I downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 and burned the image onto the CD and was going to install it as "alongside other system" option but I think I may have downloaded the wrong one. I downloaded the desktop one. It was needing somewhere around 990GB to install. I don't understand how it needs that much GB to install? Should I download the notebook one instead? This is my laptop I'm using and if I like how Ubuntu is I may replace it as the sole operating system instead of Windows.

I'm just trying to ask for a few pointers so this transition goes smoothly. I really do like the UI of it and all the software choices to install and help me with making apps.

Will this also work good for theming too? I will have to download Java, JDK, and SDK manager along with Eclipse on the Ubuntu system too right? I have all those but it is on the windows version.

Any help is much appreciated. I have also ordered a couple books such as android development platforms for dummies, java coding, beginner android 2 and pro android 2 to assist me in building apps and other stuff.

Sent from the D2... obviously...
    Funny how some people complain more than my 2 year old daughter does.
  2. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @init2winitapps
    Phone
    Moto Droid/HTC Evo 3D
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Yea i love ubuntu it's the only os i use and i have the desktop edition on my laptop as well but didn't have to give it that much it asked how much i wanted to partition for it and i gave it 100gbs which was quite generous but anyway send me a pm and i'll get you my gtalk and help you out with installing it
  3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    spc_hicks09
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Are you trying to install it on the Virtual Machine or are you trying to partition your pc to install Ubuntu? If I was you, I would just download the Virtual Machine and install it on that.

Everything you need should be able to be found here
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    Last edited by spc_hicks09; 03-27-2011 at 11:57 PM.
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, T-bolt, Droid 2
    i think he got his system all set up. iirc i saw him commenting in a thread about theming in ubuntu and he had it all set up.
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    spc_hicks09
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spaz33g View Post
    i think he got his system all set up. iirc i saw him commenting in a thread about theming in ubuntu and he had it all set up.
    Ok cool, thx for the update!

Sent from my MIUI Droid using DroidForums App
  6. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @init2winitapps
    Phone
    Moto Droid/HTC Evo 3D
    O alright well if you still need any help with partitioning or just any help with ubuntu in general send me a pm i know my way around ubuntu now been using it for quite some time
  7. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, T-bolt, Droid 2
    I might take you up on that as well if it's alright. I've been using ubuntu for about two weeks and I've mostly settled in but I still hit the occasional snag.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  8. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @init2winitapps
    Phone
    Moto Droid/HTC Evo 3D
    Yea no problem feel free to send me a message always happy to help
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 2.3.20.A955
    Yeah I had everything set up for ubuntu 10.10 but ran into a lot of problems such as trying to find different programs, even after installing the provided software. It also continue to lag each time I used it. I guess that may have been a memory issue and I did not provide it enough memory to run on possibly.

So I switched to Linux Mint and it had that Windows UI feel and was a whole lot better to navigate through. I got a lot set up including corcor's studio themer, sdk manager, jdk, java, etc.

But unfortunately I had to reformat my hard drive due to a Windows issue that came back after being hiatus for a few months. If there was no activity the screensaver kicks in but I leave it black for less power usage. When returning it would not come out of the screensaver. It was basically frozen. Had to manually shut it down by pushing the power button down for 5 seconds. Turn it back on and it would be fine till the next inactivity. Even had it freeze up while I was using it and would never unfreeze. This problem seems to come and go when it wants to. I don't know why a few months its fine, then it happens then its fine for a month then again. Its weird. So I had to reformat the hard drive again, which means I lost Linux Mint, started on a fresh Windows out-of-the-box image. The problem came back again one time last week but hasn't froze up since last week. The fan is always cleaned out, proper cooling system, monitored the processors and cpu usage which has been normal. Have ran chkdsk /f with no errors and diagnosed hard drive, wireless card and other utilities with no error.

Only speculation, from one site, as a theory is the wireless interference from another laptop or phone may cause it to do that but I have no other laptop around it except my droid 2 which has had its wireless on before and has not made the laptop go crazy.

I may never get down to the bottom of the issue.

Sent from the D2... obviously...
    Funny how some people complain more than my 2 year old daughter does.
  10. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    galaxy nexus
    windows blows.. too expensive for a product that sometimes works the way it should.

my advice, make ubuntu or what ever linux flavor of your choosing your only os, then use virtualbox or wine to use windows programs.
    i have windows on my hdd and its only for emergencies, but its barley usable because i haven't activated it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links