DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Android 'camera disable' app?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    hehehe I understand. My brother works in a HIGH security place too. The guards have M16s and have permission/instructions to use them. He has a Droid and has the same problem. He just told work to find him the solution they want and he leaves his phone in the car.

Most places like that also have problems with phones that will do voice recording, use SD cards and particularly with GPS and wifi.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ldimick View Post
    Try the McGyver method. Cover it with black electrical tape and then put a black hard plastic case on it. I have seen that one work.
    Good way to get fired...or have your company contract pulled.
    Not if they accept it. In writing, of course.
  3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Try the McGyver method. Cover it with black electrical tape and then put a black hard plastic case on it. I have seen that one work.
    Not going to happen in a High Security Area or an Area that requires TSC to enter.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid

Not going to happen in a High Security Area or an Area that requires TSC to enter.
    No, it won't. But I worked for a company that thought they had a lot of valuable intellectual property and they had restrictions on cell phones with cameras. Several customers also had the same restrictions. as long as people were up front about it we, and our customers, had no problem with this approach. I don't recall the OP saying it was TSC
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I have read about "Rooting". Would that give me access to the camera software, in order to delete it?
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    It would give you access but it is potentially opening a huge can of worms. What would happen if you used an app that made a call to the software and the software was gone? Your best bet would be to find a way to remove the icon and disable the camera button. If that is acceptable to your powers that be.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I need to do the exact same thing. I would also expand the inquiry to just a general "how the heck do you disable or remove *any* service you don't want in Android?"

Starting with the need to kill the camera, it got me wondering just how would I slim down a build at all? In WinMo you can pretty easily control what is starting up in the registry and can prevent apps from running as well. This can be done by an administrator with policy through various mechanisms.

Every thread I've dug up regarding doing this in Android kind of devolves the way this one has to "why do you want to do that?" "you dont need to do that" "do this instead"

Just assume that if someone is asking, they need to do it. I'm guessing that the answer is it just can't be done? Or it is difficult enough that no one seems to know?

If so, thats kind of a shame. None of this is hard to do on the iPhone or on WinMo and can be actually accomplished with Exchange Server security policy on both of those devices (and of course it goes without saying on RIM)
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
    I need to do the exact same thing. I would also expand the inquiry to just a general "how the heck do you disable or remove *any* service you don't want in Android?"

Starting with the need to kill the camera, it got me wondering just how would I slim down a build at all? In WinMo you can pretty easily control what is starting up in the registry and can prevent apps from running as well. This can be done by an administrator with policy through various mechanisms.

Every thread I've dug up regarding doing this in Android kind of devolves the way this one has to "why do you want to do that?" "you dont need to do that" "do this instead"

Just assume that if someone is asking, they need to do it. I'm guessing that the answer is it just can't be done? Or it is difficult enough that no one seems to know?

If so, thats kind of a shame. None of this is hard to do on the iPhone or on WinMo and can be actually accomplished with Exchange Server security policy on both of those devices (and of course it goes without saying on RIM)
    DING DING DING!!!!

I also get the "If you can't have the camera, then why have the phone" response. Crackberry wasn't any help with my Storm, so I had to go through and remove the camera myself. No I have a little "inside hobby" of removing cameras for people that I work with ($20 a pop for BB Strom 1 AND 2).
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    I totally understand why you Need to do this......
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Droid
    well, if this were me and I needed to disable my camera, first id root my phone, get busybox and flash a recovery image, do a nandroid backup. then go in to the /system/app area. find the camera.apk file, make a copy so you have one if needed, put in on the SD card then delete the app in system.

do the backup in case things dont work as planed =) in theory removing the app SHOULD disable the camera ability's with out doing any real damage to the phone. just make sure you have no other apps that use the phone, IE a barcode scanner ext then explain what you did to whoever clears these things for you
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links