DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remotely control a Droid

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid

Remotely control a Droid

I would like to remotely control the music on my Droid. I want to mount a Bluetooth remote on my motorcycle handle bars that will start, stop and skip fwd and backward.

I have seen devices like the Jabra B3030 that sorta do this but only with the headphones plugged into the controller. I would rather have the earbuds plugged into the the Droid and control the music via remote.

If I were to use something like a Jabra B3030 is it possible to just plug the earbuds into the phone and use the 3030 as a remote?

I'm not sure what the rules Bluetooth AVRCP are but I'm thinking that with something like the Jabra B3030 connected it would disable the headphone jack output. Is there a way to keep the headphone jack enabled with a device like the Jabra B3030 connected?

Thanks for any help. I am new to Android from a Palm 700P which was GREAT but I really like my new Droid!!!
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I am a bit away from exploring bluetooth and wifi.. but if every aspect of this phone (thus OS) is reachable... I would assume that there is a way to actually work with the bluetooth or wifi data coming to it to control an app. However, I am unsure yet of a sort of "driver" app that can listen for bluethooth/wifi data, then use it to control yet another app, such as the media player. I would imagine it is possible tho.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    That sounds really cool though.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid by Verizon
    With Linux All is possible, you just need to find someone interested in developing it
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Totally agree. Right now when I'm on my bike, the only thing I can control is the volume.

I was thinking of a hack that made it so you can use the camera button as the music control (1 click play/pause, 2 clicks next song, 3 clicks last song), since that button isn't doing anything anyway when the phone is locked.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I have a set of Sony bluetooth earbuds that have a little dongle thing which has somewhat of a joystick where if I click the joystick up in and out it is play/pause, up and down is volume control and left or right skips forward or backward.

Is that what you are looking for? The phone can obviously be anywhere so you can leave it in your jacket pocket (which is what I do when I go running) and then the dongle has a belt clip attached to it and you can just clip it to your belt.

If you are interested I can check tomorrow and see what the model is, they were about $80.

Oh, and they sound FANTASTIC. I am a BIG sound nut (have a $3,000 surround sound) so I can actually tell the difference between good sound and bad sound.

Oh and no the surround sound is not Bose I am not a fan of Bose at all.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid

Jabra BT3030

The Jabra BT3030 is exactly what I want, as long as I can plug my earbuds into the phone and the controller will still function. I want the phone in my jacket pocket and the remote mounted on the handle bars without wires from the remote to my helmet.

I just emailed Jabra to ask them if the device will still control the phone without earbuds/headphones connected. I will post back to this thread when I get a reply with a couple of days.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorolla Droid

Jabra Reply

This is what Fred has to say about it :

Hello Steve,

I'm afraid that this way it won't work. Not with the Jabra headset and any other (though you can check with your phone's manufacturer). Once you have connected a Bluetooth device, the phone will stop streaming sounds trough any other via

Thank you for choosing Jabra.

Regards,
    Fred
    Jabra
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I know this isnt what you want to hear, but what kinda motorcycle do you have. and i was wondering how were you going to safely mount it? That i would like to see photos of!
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    You may need to use a frankenstein of a configuration. I understand the Droid is probably not able to doit it right out of the box and you may have to find a developer but you may be able to do it using two or more BT devices, your BT3030 and the transmitter of the Logitech FreePulse Wireless Headphones paired with SONY BT100CXBL. If my memory serves me right, the transmitter is able to pair with other devices. The phone will stream to the bt3030, the transmitter will be plugged into the jack and transmit the sound to the paired sony headset. You'll get your sound and you can control it. I think i have a transmitter laying around so I may test this out on my own. I have the Moto s705 connected to an 3.5 jack routed in my car that throws out the audio through my car speakers. I have the droid mount and have a touchscreen multimedia station with streaming bt through my car speakers. It's awesome. All without wires. Let me know if this works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links