DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: want to know if its worth it.

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2 rooted

want to know if its worth it.

ok i read on here and droidipedia how to root, i downloaded the update.zip , is it the exact same thing as updating to 2.0.1 when i did that, bc he said something about cyogen mod or something and then said "alternatly u can just dl update.zip and skip to applying the exploit" is it really that easy? just get file and hold x ect. like i did for 2.0.1 update? sorry to ask but ive read a few threads and there are a few that conflict but newer ones say about what droidipedia said.plz just humor me i dont want to brick my droid.
    also will i need to re dl all my apps or will they carry over?
    should i back up anything?
    and once rooted do i need to be really good on a pc to do things like take of stupid visual vm email and other useless ones i cant get rid of? im ok on mac but dont own one that works right now so im on a netbook pc.
    please give me some honest imput, is rooting droid as easy as i said above and other Q's. thanks ahead of time

edit: found very good post
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...-boot-ani.html
    so see my post below now
    Last edited by evilsock; 01-02-2010 at 01:56 PM.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2 rooted
    ok im sure about putting it on there now, found better thread, but before i do i need to know if i will have to re download everything so i can take screenshots or write down all my apps. and will settings have to be re set or wallpapers and fonts in pandahome? just give me an idea what to expect after i root please and thanks.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsock View Post
    ok im sure about putting it on there now, found better thread, but before i do i need to know if i will have to re download everything so i can take screenshots or write down all my apps. and will settings have to be re set or wallpapers and fonts in pandahome? just give me an idea what to expect after i root please and thanks.
    Yes, the update.zip is just LIKE the 2.0.1 update, but is not. When you do the update.zip process it does keep all your original stuff, just "updates" it I recommend installing the superuser-included update one (which is the one that you probably heard cyanogen with) as it is easier to use root access basically.

EDIT:: About the needing to be good on a pc, all you need is SU file manager or Root Manager etc to modify files (delete, etc.) I use SU file manager and it does everything, just be sure to mount system as read/write before you do anything, and to remount it as read only after. (Its the little (s) button in the top left of the UI
    Last edited by Yakuzagang5; 01-02-2010 at 01:58 PM.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2 rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakuzagang5 View Post

EDIT:: About the needing to be good on a pc, all you need is SU file manager or Root Manager etc to modify files (delete, etc.) I use SU file manager and it does everything, just be sure to mount system as read/write before you do anything, and to remount it as read only after. (Its the little (s) button in the top left of the UI
    ok woa thats greek, can u dumb it down , sorry, i feel embarrased
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2 rooted
    where do i get super user or wichever one you use, do i put it on my pc or droid?

edit :ive got the update.zip i found on that thread thread that has super user, what else do i need and where do i put it, i get the way to root, but how do i get the thing that gives me those commands i see listed like
    su
    blah blah blah

do i have to type all that in a command window or are they listing menu commands in order?
    Last edited by evilsock; 01-02-2010 at 02:12 PM.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2 rooted
    ok getting there, found su on market, now are those commands i type or menu? bc if its things i type i could really mess something up huh?
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @berzerker7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsock View Post
    ok getting there, found su on market, now are those commands i type or menu? bc if its things i type i could really mess something up huh?
    Installation | Sholes
    Follow the steps that says "Rooting your phone."
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2 rooted
    ok rooted, now what? i dont get what im suposed to do in su app

Disable default Verizon crap
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    cd /system/app
    mv Email.apk Email.bak
    mv VVMStub.apk VVMStub.bak
    mv com.amazon.mp3.apk com.amazon.mp3.bak
    mv CorpCal.apk CorpCal.bak
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    reboot

like this, i dont understand what im suposed to do can someone plz dumb this down , what is yaffs2, mv, corpCal, please help!!
    also next to sufbs app, there is a superuser permissions icon when i click there are some + signs with numbers and random letters, when i click it they dissapear, what is that and am i doing something by clicking them?
    im begging, if someone will pm me and call or im me through this ill buy u a beer or name your price, thanks for any help
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Evil,

The SU app is not like a regular app that you interface with continuously to do "stuff". It is used to grant permission for other Rooted apps to work. When you start a rooted app, the SU should intervene and ask for your permission. That is what those lines that you clicked on and deleted. Simply permissions for other root aps. No problem as they will be created again when you open the other Root aps and pick your permissions.

The rest of the stuff in your post is what one user did to block the launching of Corp Cal., Amazon etc. This is not needed, mandatory or helpful if you do not understand what root is, and where you are going. Think of Root as the ability on your PC to erase windows files, or perhaps go in and modify your registry. If you don not know and understand where you want to go, we cannot help with what you are doing, and the steps. Most folks want to do custom roms, custom themes, etc. Right now none of the Roms are 100%. They are all still beta, and the farther you go into commiting to all of these changes, the harder it will be to ever go back to OTA updates. It is almost an all in kind of thing, and you really need to spend some time reading lots of pages here to decide if the commitment is right for you. Especially if you cannot afford to go out and buy a new phone, out of pocket.

Craig
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Once you figure out how to do everything, its so worth it. It makes my iphone buddies mad to see my boot screen that says "iphone ain't got sh** on me" and how I can do whatever I want.
    Android user since Droid 1 launch.
    • Droid Razr Maxx (Current): Eclipse ICS v1.1
    • Droid Bionic (Wife's Current/My Previous): Eclipse v2.2
    • DroidX (Retired): Liberty3 v2.0
    • Droid 1 (Retired): Project Elite @ 1.25GHz SV
    "I can't wait to get it out of the box and void its warranty"

Links