DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: **Tutorial** Wiping prior to installing a Rom, and restoring apps & data

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC THUNDERBOLT ADR6400L

**Tutorial** Wiping prior to installing a Rom, and restoring apps & data

Ever install a rom and have problems that nobody else has? Does it ever seem like there's always something wrong with every rom you install, yet there's always others who aren't having any problems? Ever do a fresh install and realize your wallpaper didn't change? Or your wifi networks are still there?

This thread is a simple tutorial for the right way to wipe, install a rom, and restore painlessly.

THIS IS FOR THE DROID 1 ONLY. MOST OF IT WOULD APPLY ON OTHER DEVICES, BUT I'M NOT GOING TO TRY TO SEPERATE IT.

DISCLAMER:
    Rooting, installing custom roms, overclocking, etc. if done incorrectly can damage your device. It will void the warranty (unless you cover your tracks well), and will most likely shorten the life of your phone. I am in no way responsible (directly or indirectly) for any damage done to your device.

WIPING PRIOR TO INSTALLING A ROM:

There are a ton of people out there who just haven't been informed of the correct way to wipe prior to an install. Everyone knows to wipe data and cache, but there's more to it. You also need to format the system and boot partitions. Failing to do so is the cause for why your wallpaper sticks, or some other system setting. So just imagine what else may be left behind!!! This is in my opinion the largest cause of bugs when installing a new rom.

It's really easy, but there are some definite complications for some people.
    1. SPRecovery doesn't even give you the option to format partitions. You would have to use adb to do so. I don't know about you, but to me that's more work than I care to do.
    2. You can format system and boot in CWRecovery, but not from rom manager. Please don't ever install a rom from rom manager. It works fine for backups, kernels, and themes, but it can only wipe data & cache. For this reason you should boot into recovery manually when installing a rom.

I personally recommend using RZRecovery. It's a new recovery built by Raidzero based on SPRecovery. It's got so many amazing features including: overclocking in recovery making it fast, charging in recovery, it can browse folders on your sdcard to find files to install, and you don't need to rename to update.zip, it will restore sp and cw backups, etc.

[Recovery] RZR SPR-based *update.zips-battery charging-more*

Wiping with RZRecovery:

1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP!
    2. From recovery, select “Wipe Options”
    3. From “Wipe options”, select “Wipe all”. This will wipe everything from your phone except rzrecovery including battery stats.

It's that simple, then you can just install your rom.

Wiping with CWRecovery:

1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP!
    2. From recovery, wipe data and cache like you always would.
    3. Go into the partitions menu.
    4. Select “format system” and then “Format Boot”.

Then you can install your rom.

RESTORING APPS AND DATA:

Many people also mess up their freshly installed roms by restoring data with Titanium Backup. In this section I'll discuss the right and wrong way to do it.

The Wrong way:
    If you just go into Titanium Backup, batch, and select “Restore missing apps + all System data” you will almost certainly mess up your rom. A good rule of thumb is to never restore any apps you didn't download from the market or side load yourself (there are exceptions but we'll get there shortly).

The Right Ways:
    1. You can choose to let the market install your apps. Some people like to do it this way every time, but I think it kills my battery, takes too long, and makes my phone way too hot. If you choose to do it this way, you can go back and restore app data and missing apps from Titanium once it completes. To do this, after the market is done installing, go to menu, batch, and select “restore missing apps with data”. Make sure you comb through the list and uncheck any apps you didn't install. IE “Rom Toolkit”, or “Camera”, etc. Once that completes you can go through the list and just restore your app data for each app you want to restore it to. There is no easy way to do it this way, because you want to avoid restoring any system data.
    2. MY PREFERRED METHOD. When your rom is booting for the first time and you get the touch the android screen, don't touch the android. You'll tap the screen 4 times in the 4 corners in a clockwise pattern. Upper left, upper right, bottom right, bottom left. It should bypass the setup and go straight to the homescreen. This will keep your phone from syncing with Google for now. Then go to the market and it will make you log in with your Google account. That's fine, it still shouldn't sync your apps. Download Titanium Backup from the market. Go to Menu, Batch, and select “Restore missing apps with data”. Go through the list and make sure you uncheck anything you didn't install from the market or side load. Once it finishes, run the market doctor and you have a nice clean install.

Note: Some developers include Titanium Backup in their rom. If they do, restore your apps before signing into your Google account. You can sign in afterwords in Menu, Accounts & Sync.

If you have system apps like the email app or gmail, you can restore data only for them individually, but I'd run a nandroid backup before hand just in case.

Sorry it's so wordy, I tried to break it down Barney style so noobs can understand it. If you disagree with anything I wrote or need to correct me please PM me. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly change it.
    Last edited by sgtguthrie; 03-24-2011 at 06:54 AM.
    HTC THUNDERBOLT
    Das BAMF 1.6.3 Remix
    Adrynaline's Control Freak v2.0 Kernel @ 1400MHZ

Want a Dropbox account? Get 250mb of extra space by following this link: http://db.tt/ldMayfk
    HOW TO INSTALL ROMS AND KERNELS ON YOUR THUNDERBOLT:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thu...underbolt.html
  2. Team Sourcery
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Phone
    Sourcerized GN
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Great contribution to the forum, i'm sure this will help many noobezz
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC THUNDERBOLT ADR6400L
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizzele View Post
    Great contribution to the forum, i'm sure this will help many noobezz
    Thanks, that's what I was aiming for. At the same time, i wanted to be able to just point to this thread for people who aren't necessarily noobs, but don't know the right way to do it. Too often ppl say they wiped data and cache 3 times or wiped from rom manager so it couldn't possibly be user error... lol. I just hope to help some people out and save myself the time of explaining how to wipe each time someone's having problems.

Anyone and everyone, please feel free to post links to this thread wherever you see fit.

Again, thanks... glad you like it.

Sent from my Droid running whatever ROM and Kernel I chose to use today...
    HTC THUNDERBOLT
    Das BAMF 1.6.3 Remix
    Adrynaline's Control Freak v2.0 Kernel @ 1400MHZ

Want a Dropbox account? Get 250mb of extra space by following this link: http://db.tt/ldMayfk
    HOW TO INSTALL ROMS AND KERNELS ON YOUR THUNDERBOLT:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thu...underbolt.html

Links