DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Completely newb proof Rooting + Custom sprecovery image guide

  1. Master Droid
    Berzerker's Avatar
    Member #
    18177
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    331
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @berzerker7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    #1

    Completely newb proof Rooting + Custom sprecovery image guide

    Installation | Sholes

    This guide includes how to root, install a custom recovery image from stock, as well as update to the latest one, and also includes bug fixes (will add more as they pop up).
  2. Droid
    nunka's Avatar
    Member #
    16070
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    55
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #2
    Nothing is completely newb-proof.
  3. Banned
    hydrogenman's Avatar
    Member #
    21571
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    72
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #3
    Assumes people know what adb is, etc thus, this is not completely noob proof Start with the assumption you've never owned an Android device before, have no idea what the Android SDK is , etc, just bought your phone, and want to get into all of this stuff.
    Last edited by hydrogenman; 01-02-2010 at 02:25 AM.
  4. Master Droid
    Berzerker's Avatar
    Member #
    18177
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    331
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @berzerker7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by nunka View Post
    Nothing is completely newb-proof.
    This is damn sure close if nothing is.

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogenman View Post
    Assumes people know what adb is, etc thus, this is not completely noob proof Start with the assumption you've never owned an Android device before, have no idea what the Android SDK is , etc, just bought your phone, and want to get into all of this stuff.
    If you don't know what an SDK is, or what Android is, you shouldn't be doing this in the first place.
  5. Master Droid
    kevdog's Avatar
    Member #
    4295
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    722
    Phone
    moto droid
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
    If you don't know what an SDK is, or what Android is, you shouldn't be doing this in the first place.
    +1!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Banned
    hydrogenman's Avatar
    Member #
    21571
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    72
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nunka View Post
    Nothing is completely newb-proof.
    This is damn sure close if nothing is.

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogenman View Post
    Assumes people know what adb is, etc thus, this is not completely noob proof Start with the assumption you've never owned an Android device before, have no idea what the Android SDK is , etc, just bought your phone, and want to get into all of this stuff.
    If you don't know what an SDK is, or what Android is, you shouldn't be doing this in the first place.
    Don't be an ass, you know that's not true. Before I got my droid I had no clue about anything Linux/Android related. I had always used a Blackberry. You guys talk about wanting to make something noob proof, not idiot proof. Noob proof would start off saying "you should download SDK here, and install it"...then explain how to do the commands briefly. How the hell you expect anyone to get started with your attitude? Just because someone doesn't know what the Android SDK or adb etc etc is doesn't mean they're not technically inclined enough to learn it if someone points out the obvious from the beginning.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Bear in NM's Avatar
    Member #
    3690
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,389
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    #7
    Berzerker,

    Thank you very much, and Sirpsyco as well, for this. Not to pick nits, but I do think that your first section when you mention the phone needs to be connected to the PC, you need usb debugging enabled. I can see this stumping some folks.

    I think it is great that you have this on Sholes. I like the idea of one place where clean stuff is posted, clear-cut and step by step, just a few folks who really know what is going on inputing. Your tutorial is great, as it also includes the link to Flash_Image and 0.015, rather than having to scroll around sholes collecting the files and links.

    And in adressing a couple of the other replies here, and rolling in my newb experiences, I would like to add the following. As a newb to linux and smart phones, the entire "bigger" picture was lost on me at first. Luckily I had dos experience and some programming to fall back on, but if you are of the mind to nail down some tutorials on sholes, perhaps a bigger picture general theme might help folks out here greatly. Like what are roms, what and why is the recovery an issue. Perhaps a tutorial on recoveries and flashing new roms is in the works, but that really was the hardest thing for me to grasp early on was the connection between the various concepts. It is one thing to say if you have to ask what root is then you don't need to know. It is another to help folks here try and understand. And the folks that come here are gonna try, even if they cannot grasp adb, command prompts, root etc. Or like me, if I had understood the larger picture, the individual step might have made more sense.

    Perhaps you have noticed that many of the early "power users" here are either long gone, or too frustrated to get involved in the minute to minute how to's for the new folks. I'm a newb trying to help the newbs here, out of gratitude for the site, and it seems like you too are trying to help. So, just throwing out some random thoughts if you are gonna tackle more things on Sholes. And I commend you for your efforts.

    Craig
  8. Master Droid
    Berzerker's Avatar
    Member #
    18177
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    331
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @berzerker7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogenman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nunka View Post
    Nothing is completely newb-proof.
    This is damn sure close if nothing is.

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogenman View Post
    Assumes people know what adb is, etc thus, this is not completely noob proof Start with the assumption you've never owned an Android device before, have no idea what the Android SDK is , etc, just bought your phone, and want to get into all of this stuff.
    If you don't know what an SDK is, or what Android is, you shouldn't be doing this in the first place.
    Don't be an ass, you know that's not true. Before I got my droid I had no clue about anything Linux/Android related. I had always used a Blackberry. You guys talk about wanting to make something noob proof, not idiot proof. Noob proof would start off saying "you should download SDK here, and install it"...then explain how to do the commands briefly. How the hell you expect anyone to get started with your attitude? Just because someone doesn't know what the Android SDK or adb etc etc is doesn't mean they're not technically inclined enough to learn it if someone points out the obvious from the beginning.
    It's a different story if you're actually smart enough to use google like you are. Most people, however are not, and resort to asking questions rather than learning for themselves for future reference.
  9. Droid Newbie
    lazarus0000's Avatar
    Member #
    72738
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #9

    Complete Noob Proof My Butt

    Call me a noob or not, I've been dealing with issues like this for some time. Like most professions, there is a language that is common here and not common to the rest of the world. So when a new person comes to this site and tries to make the best of it, Google or not, there is a translation problem for them that does not exist for the Linux/Android geek.

    I've been playing with computers in general for more than 20 years and have seen them progress from DOS all the way to the position we're in now. And I've stayed mostly up to date on a good deal of it. I'm the "go to" guy when crap breaks at home and in the workplace, more often than not. But do I speak the language...? Absolutely not.

    So when it came time to root my Droid, I came here for help and got nothing of value. I had to cruise and cruise, looking at a million pages of worthless stuff, broken links, missing files, incompatible formats, etc... and finally just gave up.

    But that hurt my pride and I went back at it again. I now have a rooted Droid, have installed SPRecovery, BusyBox and am running the (totally awesome) Smoked Glass (without Verizon's crapware). Can I tell you how I did it? Not a chance. I just kept plugging away and, after multiple starts and stops, u-turns and consistent swearing, made it happen.

    So, long winded though it may be, try to have a little understanding. The people YOU learned from tolerated your ignorance and had the patience to remember what it was like to be a noob. You might want to try that as well. Because this art will become more arcane as it ages and as it does, fewer people will be able to do what we all want them to be able to do--keep this free and open!

    We were all noobs once! Let's try to have a little compassion for the new comer and help him (her) along. Then we ALL have the power to take what we want from this crowded marketplace and leave the crap for the vendors to dispose of.

    Laz
  10. Premium Member
    Sam's Avatar
    Member #
    16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    dirty dirty
    Posts
    3,471
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus0000 View Post
    Call me a noob or not, I've been dealing with issues like this for some time. Like most professions, there is a language that is common here and not common to the rest of the world. So when a new person comes to this site and tries to make the best of it, Google or not, there is a translation problem for them that does not exist for the Linux/Android geek.

    I've been playing with computers in general for more than 20 years and have seen them progress from DOS all the way to the position we're in now. And I've stayed mostly up to date on a good deal of it. I'm the "go to" guy when crap breaks at home and in the workplace, more often than not. But do I speak the language...? Absolutely not.

    So when it came time to root my Droid, I came here for help and got nothing of value. I had to cruise and cruise, looking at a million pages of worthless stuff, broken links, missing files, incompatible formats, etc... and finally just gave up.

    But that hurt my pride and I went back at it again. I now have a rooted Droid, have installed SPRecovery, BusyBox and am running the (totally awesome) Smoked Glass (without Verizon's crapware). Can I tell you how I did it? Not a chance. I just kept plugging away and, after multiple starts and stops, u-turns and consistent swearing, made it happen.

    So, long winded though it may be, try to have a little understanding. The people YOU learned from tolerated your ignorance and had the patience to remember what it was like to be a noob. You might want to try that as well. Because this art will become more arcane as it ages and as it does, fewer people will be able to do what we all want them to be able to do--keep this free and open!

    We were all noobs once! Let's try to have a little compassion for the new comer and help him (her) along. Then we ALL have the power to take what we want from this crowded marketplace and leave the crap for the vendors to dispose of.

    Laz
    yeah.. that's an old link.. i'm glad you got it figured out though! i'm sorry you had to wade through all the other stuff to get to where you are, but i'm glad it worked out.. i agree that people are sometimes not that friendly to the new folks. we try to keep an open and friendly experience here, but with 70k members and maybe a dozen staff, it's tough (at best)..

    i agree though, this was definitely not a noob-proof guide. it was the best at the time, but that was months ago. and in the android world, that is like eons.
    -Respect is rule #1
    -Email us at DroidForumPromo@gmail to become a Supporting Vendor.
    -Not around as often as I used to be... Still, feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Custom Recovery Image
    By Randomocity in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 09:31 PM
  2. about to give up on custom animation and rooting in general..
    By bobmundo123 in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 04:20 PM
  3. How to COMPLETELY back up everything! Nandroid
    By CKyle22 in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 01:16 AM
  4. More Reasons/Proof the Droid isn't ready for prime time
    By JayMonster in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 01:33 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 01:33 AM

Search tags for this page

droid proof
,
droidproof
,
htc incredible sprecovery
,
motorola droid sprecovery
,
sp recovery
,
sp recovery for motorola droid
,

sprecovery

,
sprecovery for motorola droid
,
sprecovery guide
,
sprecovery htc
,
sprecovery image
,
sprecovery image android
,
sprecovery motorola droid
,
the sprecovery sbf image
,
what is sprecovery
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+