DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best way to add custom recovery to otherwise stock ROOTED FRG83D??

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Best way to add custom recovery to otherwise stock ROOTED FRG83D??

I got a replacement phone recently and it came loaded with FRG83D. I used ABD and some nice instructions to gain root and add busybox, but haven't done anything else. I dont want any custom ROM this time around, or to change much. I may play with another kernel for overclocking later, but for now all I want is what I have with the ability to backup/restore images. Previously I was on a stock-like ROM and had nandroid backup for recovery.

Ive found and read a bunch of tutorials here about adding a custom recovery image. I did it once before, but it's been a long time. My concern is that these are all either part of a bigger easy update/root/rom package which I am not interested in, or they are old and written for 2.0-2.1. Will these instructions still work? here and here

Alternately is there a better method, better instructions or something more relevant to my version and what I'm trying to do? Keep in mind that I am already rooted and running the version I want, and it is stable, so I don't want to change anything except to add the ability to backup/recover. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    rom manager is probably the easiest way to get a recovery. or if its just in update.zip format like rzr recovery
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgersrgood View Post
    rom manager is probably the easiest way to get a recovery. or if its just in update.zip format like rzr recovery
    Im not looking for the easiest necessarily. I dont THINK I want ROM Manager because Im not looking to add any ROMs or modify anything otherwise. I want to be able to boot into recovery by holding X, and install update.zip files, create a backup image or restore a backup image. As mentioned, I used nandroid before, and I believe SP Recovery before that. I'd prefer nandroid or SP (is nandroid part of clockwork?). I just want to put the recovery tool on there though. I am comfortable using ADB with instructions.

ETA-I could be wrong about Rom Manager. Am I mistaking how it works and what it will do?
    Last edited by pudah; 02-23-2011 at 01:17 AM.
  4. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    +1

DroidForums Junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    Quote Originally Posted by pudah View Post
    Im not looking for the easiest necessarily. I dont THINK I want ROM Manager because Im not looking to add any ROMs or modify anything otherwise. I want to be able to boot into recovery by holding X, and install update.zip files, create a backup image or restore a backup image. As mentioned, I used nandroid before, and I believe SP Recovery before that. I'd prefer nandroid or SP (is nandroid part of clockwork?). I just want to put the recovery tool on there though. I am comfortable using ADB with instructions.

ETA-I could be wrong about Rom Manager. Am I mistaking how it works and what it will do?
    I'm pretty sure clockwork backups only work with clockwork and same with sprecovery.. could be wrong tho. But if that's the case then you'd need whatever your previous backups were with. I know sprecovery backups are stored in nandroid folder on sd card. And with rom manager, in your case, you can just install it, flash whichever recovery you need, and then uninstall it if you aren't gonna do anything else with it. No need to download/install roms from it
  6. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Exactly right! I install RM about a week ago to flash CW to clear my battery stats. I then flashed SPRecovery back and uninstalled RM

I'm pretty sure clockwork backups only work with clockwork and same with sprecovery.. could be wrong tho. But if that's the case then you'd need whatever your previous backups were with. I know sprecovery backups are stored in nandroid folder on sd card. And with rom manager, in your case, you can just install it, flash whichever recovery you need, and then uninstall it if you aren't gonna do anything else with it. No need to download/install roms from it

DroidForums Junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

I gave it a shot. I think I had SP Recovery before, but had clockwork even before that. It worked and I seem to have only what I want changed. The backup seems to be larger, and a took about 3x longer than SP Recovery did, but it's there, just in case nonetheless.

Just to be clear though, if I wanted to install some ROM, or a custom kernel or whatever, using update.zip, I can do that with the installed Clockwork Recovery?
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid DOES!! View Post
    Exactly right! I install RM about a week ago to flash CW to clear my battery stats. I then flashed SPRecovery back and uninstalled RM

DroidForums Junkie!!

How do you go about using this to install SP?

Thanks everyone, by the way.
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Rzrecovery does everything clockwork does, including restore clockwork backups and wiping battery stats. It also allows charging from within recovery and is overclocked so everything is sped up.

This came from my brain by way of my finger and my phone. Don't ask where any of them have been. Especially the brain.
  10. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    +1 to RZR and if you have root, and you don't like the easy way you can adb command recovery on.

Also, you can sbf RZR and SPR on too.

In order for it to stick, you will have to remove the FRS script though.

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links