DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Changing system fonts, and its effect on speed.

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Changing system fonts, and its effect on speed.

So, recently, I have discovered that the font style you choose to load on your system can drastically affect the speed of your phone, more specifically, the browser speed (I would assume this is due to the large amount of text fields within the browser).

I loaded a new ROM on my phone, along with a font called "Unkempt", and shortly thereafter noticed that the browser speed was adversely affected, mostly in the scrolling and zoom features. Loading a webpage wasn't much different, but the moment I tried to scroll or zoom, it was like the phone was freezing up.

At first I thought it must be the ROM, so I tried a different ROM, and it ran SWEET! So, I proceeded to customize several things, to include the launcher, added all apps and data back to it, and then changed the font to my new-found favorite. Unkempt.

After doing all that, I noticed the lag reappeared, and the phone (again, more specifically the browser scroll/zoom features) SUCKED again.

I then started removing apps and removed the custom Launcher, but to no avail. So I thought maybe the cache was getting filled up. Wiped cache for all apps as well as Dalvik Cache. No change. Still slow.

I had almost given up all hope, thinking my phone must be defective. As a last "long shot" attempt, I loaded the stock font back on the phone, and BOOM! Everything was back to normal. No laggy scroll/zoom effect in the browser.

So, I started looking at the file size differences, and the Unkempt file is 192,512 kb. The stock DroidSans font file size is only 41,028 kb. Huge difference! I guess it takes a lot more memory/processing power to display text than i thought it did, and the bigger the font file size, the more power it requires.

So, just some food for thought for you guys before you go changing the font style to something else.
    Last edited by Boostjunky; 02-22-2011 at 11:26 AM.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by meishkov View Post
    Hey imoseyon, quick question out of curiousity. Can any of these performance/battery tweaks be applied to the OG Droid? Now there's ROMs and themes aplenty, but when it comes to internal file system tweaks, they are few and far between, if not at all. I usually just do basic build.prop tweaks like vm heapsize, which I have no idea if lower or higher is better, and wifi scan time, just basic stuff.

Now obviously these tweaks can't be applied the exact same, since the X has about 2-3 times more RAM than the OG, but maybe you experimented with it originally to test some things, then made your way over to the DX/D2?? No idea, I'm just letting hope guide me at this point.
    Uhm... Wrong thread?
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    OG Droid
    Yea wrong thread for sure haha no idea how I got to here...was just in the sysctl thread in the liberty forum. .
    Weird

Links