DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to root D2G

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    BackSeatSuicide
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy Note 3

How to root D2G

I remember reading a guide in a thread on here a lil while back about rooting the D2G using z4root, and I was hoping someone could give me a link to that guide or any guide that will show me how to root my D2G. I've never rooted a phone before, this being my first android phone so a detailed guide/instructions would be appreciated

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
    Verizon has been screwing the dev. community for years. The petition works, That step begins here https://www.change.org/petitions/kwo...-3-bootloaders

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    Nerdslogic
    Phone
    Android
    Z4Root....have fun
    Go to work, send your kids to school, follow fashion, act normal, walk on the pavement, watch t.v., save for your old age, obey the law, don't ask questions, and repeat after me.....I am free.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    BackSeatSuicide
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy Note 3
    Like I said, it doesn't have to be a guide on rooting with z4root, just any guide that's detailed and will show me step by step what to do to root my phone and all that good stuff

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
    Verizon has been screwing the dev. community for years. The petition works, That step begins here https://www.change.org/petitions/kwo...-3-bootloaders
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    BackSeatSuicide
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy Note 3
    Found this guide for rooting the D2G using z4root, and it seems like it works according to other posts from users- http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...-tutorial.html

So what's the general consensus on the validity and quality of this guide? Should I follow it and will it work as people seem to say it does

Also once I root my phone, what is all this bootstrap stuff, that I hear people use with their rooted phone. What all do I need for custom Roms, and to be able to remove said Roms when I want?

And finally, once i'm rooted, will I still be able to get updates from verizon and google, for example, will I be able to download the gingerbread update when it comes out or will I have to uproot my phone first?
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    Nerdslogic
    Phone
    Android
    There is no guide....download and install app....open app....click root.
    Go to work, send your kids to school, follow fashion, act normal, walk on the pavement, watch t.v., save for your old age, obey the law, don't ask questions, and repeat after me.....I am free.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    Nerdslogic
    Phone
    Android
    Bootstrap and all that comes after rooting. Just root first....play with it for a couple days and THEN look into ROM's and such...

That would be my advice.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    BackSeatSuicide
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy Note 3
    So all I gotta do is put z4root on my SD card and then run it from my phone and poof, I'M rooted? At least that's what the guide said

And also no one answered me about; once rooted, will I need to uproot to receive firmware updates, like when they release gingerbread in june? Or will I still be able to get it even if my phone is still rooted?
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    Nerdslogic
    Phone
    Android
    yes install, run, click "permanant root" and done.

Yes, from what I understand you have to unroot to receive updates.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I have the same phone, got it on the same day iPhone 4 came out for Verizon....I read the same guide and tried the 'Temporary' root...(never tried this before, so I didn't want to risk 'bricking my phone') I saw the super user, but when I tried the tethering it said I wasn't rooted so I searched further and read that someone said for the superuser part to be valid that you need to restart it, but that was for another phone - the Galaxy - I tried restarting anyway. But when you restart - that removes the Temporary root. I was hoping to read more before trying the 'permanent' root.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    BackSeatSuicide
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy Note 3
    So i rooted my D2G with z4root, and tested to make sure it works by downloading a wifi tethering app, and it works perfect....so now what ? lol, what else can I do now that I rooted my phone. what are all the benefits of this. and what does bootstrapper do ?

and also, how do I unroot it for when I want to be able to download verizon updates, and update android itself when the new GB update comes out ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links