DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Tried to root droid1 with z4root, need help.

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3

Tried to root droid1 with z4root, need help.

Hello,
    I decided to try and root my phone with z4root since it seemed simple and reversible. I've had my droid a little under a year now and until now just used it like your basic smart phone. I'm not really as familiar with the tech end of this stuff as many of you are but I really like some of the apps only available to rooted phones. I downloaded the z4root app from a link provided on this forum. The first one was through 4shared.com - free file sharing and storage and downloaded and installed without problems. I ran the program and it got to the point where it says acquiring root shell at the bottom and then the app just closed. I rebooted and tried again, same thing. So I deleted the app, and then downloaded the link from android.net and it wouldn't even install.

Now the problem is that the phone is very sluggish wants to force close my apps all the time, and it doesn't seem to want to charge. I did a battery pull but it still seems to be acting up.

Any idea why the root didn't work and why it seems to have negatively affected the phone.

I'm running android 2.2.1
  2. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Z4root doesn't work on a D1 with 2.2.1 (FRG83D) hang tight..
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

DroidForums Junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Driod
    Yeah. Def a case of wrong app for wrong phone. Make sure your read a little more about rooting and rooting apps. They are specific for each phone. Z4root is not for the D1 but rather works for DX (droid x).

Anyhow u will be helped shortly it looks like. If not do a search for rooting droid 1. There are lots of post out there

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    I see. The droid 1 is listed as compatible with the z4root app but that must be with 2.2 and not 2.2.1. Anyhow it seems after another reboot and some off time, the phone seems to be acting better. Thanks.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    This method will take 20 minutes. That includes reading and downloading. I've done 6 or so D1's this way. Motocache did a great write-up. It's really simple and straight forward. Good luck.

Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version
    Last edited by lockman; 02-21-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link lol!
    Ad astra per alia porci- John Steinbeck.
    No pigs cannot fly, but I am a seventh day porcinist and believe that bacon was brought to us by angels.

Razr, Charge, Thunderbolt, DroidX, Fascinate, OG Droid, GalaxyTab
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    Also, I possibly missed it but in reading through that "how-to" I didn't notice if there was an option to unroot if I decide to. Is there a way to unroot with the above mentioned method from MotoCache?
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by celtic11 View Post
    Hello,
    I decided to try and root my phone with z4root since it seemed simple and reversible. I've had my droid a little under a year now and until now just used it like your basic smart phone. I'm not really as familiar with the tech end of this stuff as many of you are but I really like some of the apps only available to rooted phones. I downloaded the z4root app from a link provided on this forum. The first one was through 4shared.com - free file sharing and storage and downloaded and installed without problems. I ran the program and it got to the point where it says acquiring root shell at the bottom and then the app just closed. I rebooted and tried again, same thing. So I deleted the app, and then downloaded the link from android.net and it wouldn't even install.

Now the problem is that the phone is very sluggish wants to force close my apps all the time, and it doesn't seem to want to charge. I did a battery pull but it still seems to be acting up.

Any idea why the root didn't work and why it seems to have negatively affected the phone.

I'm running android 2.2.1
    You are having the exact same problem I was having! I used SuperOneClick from the xda developers site. Make sure that you download the correct Motorola drivers for your computer and then go for it. I didn't know much about this stuff either, just do your research and before you know it you'll be flashing roms and changing kernels every couple of days. Please let me know if you run into problems, I'll be glad to help if I can.
    P.S. this site is amazing and so are the people on here. I learned everything from reading and asking ?'s here.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    Rockin Rezound!!!
    Unlocked & Rooted
    Ineffabilis Rom (Sweeeeet)

Links