DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: New Droid X: Rooting questions..

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Cool New Droid X: Rooting questions..

Hey guys I'm new here. My names David but you can call me Sweet Lips .. My upgrade came around so I thought I would get a newer smart-phone. I used to have the first BB Curve when it came out but then jumped off it for about 3 years. Wow how far we have come in such little time since then. I'm enjoying my phone so far just wish the battery was a little better.

My friend said something about rooting my droid and how I could do so much more with it so I did a little research and found out what it was and now I have a few questions..

1. Will I still be able to use all of the features that come with the phone (EVERYTHING) like the regular market and all of the Verizon stuff?

2. Will this use more battery or less to be running a rooted Droid?

3. Is there something out there for the Droid X with no glitches or inaccessibility?

4. Where would you recommend that I start to root my droid?

I hope someone can open these questions relatively quickly.

Thanks.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
    1st of all I would learn everything about your stock "droid" there is to know bfore you root. Also what is your phone model?

sent from stock dx
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I'm pretty sure I got most of it down.

It's a Droid X.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidconard View Post
    1. Will I still be able to use all of the features that come with the phone (EVERYTHING) like the regular market and all of the Verizon stuff?

Yes

2. Will this use more battery or less to be running a rooted Droid?

Rooting alone shouldnt impact the battery at all, in fact, you can root, and never take advantage of it, and you'll never know.

3. Is there something out there for the Droid X with no glitches or inaccessibility?

Not tracking, please explain.

4. Where would you recommend that I start to root my droid?

There are three rules when it comes to hacking a phone: 1) READ 2) UNDERSTAND 3) READ EVEN MORE. Spend time reading the forum. Just about anything you could want to do, someone here has already done, and probably posted instructions before. Have fun.

I hope someone can open these questions relatively quickly.

Thanks.
    Answers inline. As someone else posted, it's a good idea to spend at least a week or two with your stock phone, so you know how it's supposed to behave. It's important to have a frame of reference so if something gets messed up, you know it's actually broken, and not just a feature you missed.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    @Body_Bagz
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    +1 for all the advice given so far...and I`ll add just a bit of my own experience...

Root is not required to get "more" out of your phone, it is required to "access" more of your phone...if you follow me.

The Droid X is a powerhouse of a phone straight out of the box, and more than capable of doing everything it was designed to do. The "normal, average" user would never know that there is "more" lurking under the hood, nor would they need to know for the most part.

Gaining "root" allows you to access almost every aspect of the Operating System...and for some that is great, for others, it is a disaster in the making if they dont tread carefully...hence the volleys of "Read and then Read More"...

From a "advanced user" level, I would say the 3 most common reasons to root are:

1) Have the use of Tethering withpout having to pay Verizon additional money for a service pre-built into the phone.

2) The ability to do custom Nandroid type back-ups of the system..this comes into play with the 3rd most common reason to root...

3) Customization...the ability to make your personal device more personal...throwing a new ROM on or adding a new theme pack can change not only the aesthetics of your device, but also add to the overall performance of the device. Having the above back-up means less possibilities of catastrophic pooch-screwing..and if the CPS does occur, you can usually flash a Nandroid and be back up and running in under an hour.

In the end, I would suggest you do like what has been suggested previously...test drive your stock DX for a few weeks and then decide if you really do need to root to enjoy your phone more. If then you decide to go forward, then by all means do so..but make sure you have read and understand all that comes with it, that way you are properly prepared...

Bagz Droid Razr, Most Nearly Bone Stock
    ...Rooted...ROM`d too many times to list...and still kicking iPhones in the @$$ on a daily basis....

7. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    +100!!

Quote Originally Posted by BodyBagz View Post
    +1 for all the advice given so far...and I`ll add just a bit of my own experience...

Root is not required to get "more" out of your phone, it is required to "access" more of your phone...if you follow me.

The Droid X is a powerhouse of a phone straight out of the box, and more than capable of doing everything it was designed to do. The "normal, average" user would never know that there is "more" lurking under the hood, nor would they need to know for the most part.

Gaining "root" allows you to access almost every aspect of the Operating System...and for some that is great, for others, it is a disaster in the making if they dont tread carefully...hence the volleys of "Read and then Read More"...

From a "advanced user" level, I would say the 3 most common reasons to root are:

1) Have the use of Tethering withpout having to pay Verizon additional money for a service pre-built into the phone.

2) The ability to do custom Nandroid type back-ups of the system..this comes into play with the 3rd most common reason to root...

3) Customization...the ability to make your personal device more personal...throwing a new ROM on or adding a new theme pack can change not only the aesthetics of your device, but also add to the overall performance of the device. Having the above back-up means less possibilities of catastrophic pooch-screwing..and if the CPS does occur, you can usually flash a Nandroid and be back up and running in under an hour.

In the end, I would suggest you do like what has been suggested previously...test drive your stock DX for a few weeks and then decide if you really do need to root to enjoy your phone more. If then you decide to go forward, then by all means do so..but make sure you have read and understand all that comes with it, that way you are properly prepared...

DroidForums Junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    That's what ill probably be doing. Mono has been spreading in my area and I got ****ted on. Ill have awhile to play with it the next few days

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    @Body_Bagz
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidconard View Post
    That's what ill probably be doing. Mono has been spreading in my area and I got ****ted on. Ill have awhile to play with it the next few days

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
    Hope ya get well soon...Mono suxxurs!

Also, if ya havent yet, mosey on over into the Droid X sub-forum...a very large wealth of info can be found there...as well as top notch help if ya ever need it!

Bagz Droid Razr, Most Nearly Bone Stock
    ...Rooted...ROM`d too many times to list...and still kicking iPhones in the @$$ on a daily basis....

10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I just screwed my phone trying to do a ,sbf. Though I had a full battery. Now I have to go find a battery that is full to complete what was started. The .sbf went fine but the rom never finished installed is where the problem lies I hope.

Links