DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Scanning Drivers License Barcode

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Scanning Drivers License Barcode

So ever since the barcode scanner came out with Droid I have looked high and low every couple of months waiting for this program thinking it was inevitable, but no go. Not sure if the the software can actually even read it let alone go about creating a program to decipher it but there would be a huge market for an app like this. ID scanners at minimum are like 800 bucks, usually closer to 1200 even more. Imagine if any bouncer could just use his phone to scan out of state ids or anyone he/she questioned.

Does a program like this exist yet, if not i cant imagine it be very hard to program because the barcode scanner is already suppose to scan 2d barcodes (IDs use 2D barcodes) one would merely have to write program that deciphers it. Merely takes raw data and only display lets say name a birthday which is different part of data depending on state. I already have info for a majority of states from my time not to long ago as a college kid trying to make some extra cash ill let you use ur imagination on that. Would anyone be interested in working on a program like that, I would actually be willing to pay pretty well or arrange for programmer to have majority rights to program, I just think it would be a very popular program on the market
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    LG optimus

ID Scanner

There is a reason wny the scanners cost so much. Its not near as easy as you may think to develop an app like you would like. First of all you will never get a barcode reader integrated into an Android. Taking a picture of a barcode and sending it off somewhere for interpretation is not very efficient if you have a line with 200 people waiting to have their ID's verified. Magnetic stripe would and could be do-able in the same manner that Square processes credit cards. But it is unlikely that any app would store the information in any useable form that could be downloaded at a later date for law enforcement authorities. Most users require archivable data for liability reasons and for marketing reasons also. I am not a programmer but I do sell these ID scanners. States are constantly changing their formats which require firmware updates to the more expensive units. USB connections allow users to communicate with laptops and desktops. However drivers must operate consistently across all platforms XP Vista Windows7 Mac and whatever may follow. Mag stripe readers are very cheap, software that makes them useable is not.

Links