DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: How do I backup the android market app? (sorry if this is the wrong forum)

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1

How do I backup the android market app? (sorry if this is the wrong forum)

Okay. I recently rooted my phone, and installed the latest stable build of cyanogenmod.

the problem I am running into is when I open up cyanogenmod, the market app is gone. I've heard you can get it from Rom Manager, but when I go to download a rom in rom manager, I'm told I need to update my rom manager, and then it force closes.

I downloaded titanium backup, and then heard that it only really saves your preferences for the apps and then pulls it from the market.

I've got superuser on my restored phone, and read something about going into the terminal and pushing the app you want to backup onto the sdcard. Is this my only option? Thanks in advance for the help.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Welcome to the forums!

You need to flash the gapps.zip package when you flash a new cyanogen rom. Gapps contains all the proprietary apps such as the market.

What you heard about titanium is BS. It compresses the apps (AFAIK) and their associated data to your sdcard, you can restore from there. Ive restored about 80 apps in like 5-10 minutes, try doing that with the market... even over wifi.

You could also boot into recovery and select nandroid and then backup. That will backup your entire phone (every partition) to your sdcard. To restore your data you go to nandroid --> advanced restore --> restore /data. But that may cause problems if youre switching between roms because some of the old files in there may clash with the new files.
    Last edited by brando56894; 02-03-2011 at 08:12 PM.
    How To: Compiling a Custom Version of Clockwork Mod Recovery
    <-- Lockscreen

ROM: Incredibly Re-Engineered v2.3
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    okay. soooo.

I have the latest gapps.zip on the phone, and have flashed it (at least I think, installed from zip in recovery mode.)

there's absolutely no change to the phone when I install the gapps.zip. am I not flashing it right?

if you could take the time to give me a step by step that would be awesome, I'm not really good at this yet.

edit: it HAS to be the flashing, because I just restored the market app (latest build and everything) after downloading Titanium recovery on the cyanogenmod and it did the same thing. Opens up, white screen, and then back to whatever I was doing before.

edit: checked the cyanogen wiki, and I've got the right .zip file on my sdcard, I don't know what the deal is with Gapps.
    Last edited by funkapottomous; 02-03-2011 at 08:31 PM.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    The only changes to your phone after you flash gapps is the addition of market and a few other apps.

So let me get this straight, your problem is with rom manager and not the missing market, correct? (I thought the missing market was your problem lol)

Try uninstalling rom manager, wiping your cache (either via a cache cleaner app from the market or booting into recovery and selecting "wipe cache"), and then reinstalling rom manager.
    <-- Lockscreen

6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by brando56894 View Post
    The only changes to your phone after you flash gapps is the addition of market and a few other apps.

So let me get this straight, your problem is with rom manager and not the missing market, correct? (I thought the missing market was your problem lol)

Try uninstalling rom manager, wiping your cache (either via a cache cleaner app from the market or booting into recovery and selecting "wipe cache"), and then reinstalling rom manager.
    No, unfortunately it's both. Right now I'm just trying to get the Goggle Apps back on my phone so I can get into the market and download the most up to date version of rom manager.

I'm going to re download the google apps zip, and see if that makes a difference. maybe the one I grabbed wasn't reputable.
    Last edited by funkapottomous; 02-03-2011 at 08:36 PM.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Make sure you grab the one thats for froyo (android 2.2) instead of for gingerbread (android 2.3).
    <-- Lockscreen

8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Make sure you grab the one thats for froyo (android 2.2) instead of for gingerbread (android 2.3).
    the only one on the wiki that is for the droid 1, and cyanogen 6.1.2 is 20101114
    Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki

just for reference.

That should be the correct one if I'm on 6.1.2, right?
    Last edited by funkapottomous; 02-03-2011 at 08:46 PM.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    That should be it.
    <-- Lockscreen

10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    That should be it.
    alright.

Just to be clear, once I get it on the SD card, I need to install it like I did the OS, correct? Clear the cache and all the jazz?

okay! It seems that the zip file I had for the google apps was just wonky, because I re-downloaded it, installed it, and was brought to the google welcome screen. Thanks for the info. I probably would've come to the same end by myself, but at least I knew I was using the right file this time. Thanks again!
    Last edited by funkapottomous; 02-03-2011 at 09:02 PM.
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    When you flash gapps you dont need to clear anything, just flash it like you would any other rom (except for the whole wiping part lol).
    <-- Lockscreen

Links