DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Did this help you in any way?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 80.77%
  • No

5 19.23%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Root and Unroot Properly [video and instructions]

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon's Moto Droid 2.0
    Thanks buddy. After researching this for about a week and watching your video twice I have enough confidence to try it... Thanks for the great tutorial and looking forward to learning about the unrooting process!
  2. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    GREAT post! I'm getting really bored waiting for 2.1 to come to my phone lol, so I'm patiently waiting for your "How to Unroot your phone" guide to make sure I can revert back if the official update ever comes out.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Hopefully the unroot instructions are available soon. I rooted my phone thinking it would be easy to do more stuff like a jailbroken iphone. Since everything involves coding and I have no clue about any of the android terminology, I am kinda outta luck.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    For the life of me i cant understand why i cant even get past the first part, i copy the file to my card and boot into recovery mode (whatever its called) as soon as the the screen appears it shows an error at the bottom. When i choose the option to update using update.zip it fails everytime. I was able to install the manuel update just fine when 2.01 came out!!!
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill75 View Post
    For the life of me i cant understand why i cant even get past the first part, i copy the file to my card and boot into recovery mode (whatever its called) as soon as the the screen appears it shows an error at the bottom. When i choose the option to update using update.zip it fails everytime. I was able to install the manuel update just fine when 2.01 came out!!!
    Make sure the file is just update.zip NOT update.zip.zip.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid, HTC Eris
    I know how people hate to wait and I am looking to invest some serious time in Android development (I code Java for a living). So I did some research as I am intersted in learning how to cook roms and play with all of the "fun" of custom ROMs, and figuring out how Android works without bricking my phone. I am very cautious that I can do and undo anything I try with my phone, its not a dev box and its not like I can just reformat and start over with great ease. Dad always said measure twice cut once.

Each place that I have found un-rooting instructions have made the same claim. The process is essentially the same as rooting your phone except that you are replacing the image on the ROM with the factory one. I see validity to what they are saying so I will post the steps here:
    1. Download the manual 2.0.1 update (I found one here http://alldroid.org/download/file.ph...b1f02960d57a39 you could probably find one somewhere on google if you don't trust this source)
    2. Save as update.zip (unless you are on Windows Vista/7 the zip extension is unneeded as it does it for you)
    3. Plug in and mount your DROID
    4. Place newly downloaded update.zip on the root level of your SD card
    5. Power down your DROID
    6. Holding the X button (this is recovery mode for those that don't know), power up your DROID
    7. Select install update.zip
    8. When its complete select reboot.
    You are now un-rooted.

Regular legal mumbo jumbo. I am not responsible if you brick your phone or for the content of the zip file to which I linked. I am providing this as information.

Hope you find this useful and I hope that any droid experts can possibly chime in for things to watch for or gotchas.
  7. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by IEatCake View Post
    I know how people hate to wait and I am looking to invest some serious time in Android development (I code Java for a living). So I did some research as I am intersted in learning how to cook roms and play with all of the "fun" of custom ROMs, and figuring out how Android works without bricking my phone. I am very cautious that I can do and undo anything I try with my phone, its not a dev box and its not like I can just reformat and start over with great ease. Dad always said measure twice cut once.

Each place that I have found un-rooting instructions have made the same claim. The process is essentially the same as rooting your phone except that you are replacing the image on the ROM with the factory one. I see validity to what they are saying so I will post the steps here:
    1. Download the manual 2.0.1 update (I found one here http://alldroid.org/download/file.ph...b1f02960d57a39 you could probably find one somewhere on google if you don't trust this source)
    2. Save as update.zip (unless you are on Windows Vista/7 the zip extension is unneeded as it does it for you)
    3. Plug in and mount your DROID
    4. Place newly downloaded update.zip on the root level of your SD card
    5. Power down your DROID
    6. Holding the X button (this is recovery mode for those that don't know), power up your DROID
    7. Select install update.zip
    8. When its complete select reboot.
    You are now un-rooted.

Regular legal mumbo jumbo. I am not responsible if you brick your phone or for the content of the zip file to which I linked. I am providing this as information.

Hope you find this useful and I hope that any droid experts can possibly chime in for things to watch for or gotchas.
    This is the same process I am understanding from looking at the guides online, but I'm not entirely sure (as I feel like it seems so simple lol, maybe it is) just wanted someone more experienced to confirm it.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Can someone confirm Ieatcake's post since I don't really feel like bricking my phone and having to fork over money to insurance to get a new one.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyg23 View Post
    Can someone confirm Ieatcake's post since I don't really feel like bricking my phone and having to fork over money to insurance to get a new one.
    yeah that, and if we unroot our phones, im guessing it will take us back to software version 2.0, and then we can go to the setting in our phone that looks for updates, and then we could get the actual update from verizon?
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid, HTC Eris
    Quote Originally Posted by hondabomdc5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyg23 View Post
    yeah that, and if we unroot our phones, im guessing it will take us back to software version 2.0, and then we can go to the setting in our phone that looks for updates, and then we could get the actual update from verizon?
    The method I suggest should take you to 2.0.1 factory defaults and then yes you would be able to get the OTA (or re-root if you desire).
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links