DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Underclocking when phone sleeps??

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Underclocking when phone sleeps??

I downloaded the app SetCPU which will not allow for overclocking beyond the current speed of 550mHz, but it will allow you to underclock when the phone sleeps. If I set the speed to 250mhz when in sleep mode this would be a real battery saver wouldn't it? Or does the CPU slow down anyway when the phone is off? Anyone tried this?
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    In theory.....Give it a try and let us know...
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @berzerker7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    By default the phone is set to be at a 250MHz minimum and 550MHz maximum at all times. The most effective method I found using it is setting a 250MHz maximum while sleeping (so 250MHz max and 125MHz min) and 550MHz min and max while the phone is not sleeping. You'd get the most responsiveness while the phone is awake and actively processing, with the battery saving features while the phone is sleeping.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoMilestone
    Great post i'm hoping that my Milestone will last longer then the factory 270hrs
    Think! Search Ask!
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
    By default the phone is set to be at a 250MHz minimum and 550MHz maximum at all times. The most effective method I found using it is setting a 250MHz maximum while sleeping (so 250MHz max and 125MHz min) and 550MHz min and max while the phone is not sleeping. You'd get the most responsiveness while the phone is awake and actively processing, with the battery saving features while the phone is sleeping.
    Does "sleeping" simply mean that the screen is off? Presumably the phone is still doing stuff like syncing and so forth. It's not sleep mode like a PC goes into.

Have you noticed any change in battery consumption with this setup??
    Last edited by Canefan; 12-28-2009 at 03:30 PM.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @berzerker7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Canefan View Post
    That's how I have mine set up right now. Have you noticed any change in battery consumption??
    Yes I actually have. Even on days of heavy use, I plug my phone into charge at night with at least 60% battery left every day. I'm debating on setting my charging schedule to every 2 days now...
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG --> DX --> GNex
    I have mine set to 500/250 for normal

then under profiles i have 250/125 for sleeping and 125/125 for charging.

Should i bump up the charging to 550? I've read others that have it set to that, but i can't imagine charge rate is dependent on the CPU Speed.

What settings are people using these days?

Also, the third profile simply says for Power<100% how can i adjust the %?

It says wait for a battery movement, will that drop it to 50% in the option or the current battery status?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman2 View Post
    Why must people insist on posting these things when my flamethrower is in for repairs?
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    R2D2 Droid 2, Motorola XOOM
    i have mine set on 600max 500min normally then for sleep/standby i have it on 500max 250min, i havent suffered as far as battery is concerned, i have heard of issues when coming out of sleep with it set to 125
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG --> DX --> GNex
    Quote Originally Posted by naman919 View Post

Should i bump up the charging to 550? I've read others that have it set to that, but i can't imagine charge rate is dependent on the CPU Speed.

What settings are people using these days?

It says wait for a battery movement, will that drop it to 50% in the option or the current battery status?
    bump. poster above didn't answer my questions. TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigman2 View Post
    Why must people insist on posting these things when my flamethrower is in for repairs?
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by naman919 View Post

You are probably right - the CPU has little or nothing to do with the charging circuit. But what you set for this profile depends on if you ever use your phone while it's charging. If so, you probably want to set it something higher than 125...like maybe 550. If not, then it leave it wherever, but if you enable Profiles and the Charging profile, then while charging the CPU will operate at whatever frequency you set for that profile, as it supersedes all other profiles while the phone is plugged in.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but to change the %, you click the MODIFY button just like you would to change the frequency settings and drag the 3rd slider to whatever % you want. So, it will act in this profile only when the battery drops below that % of total capacity.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links