DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ADB on Mac

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

ADB on Mac

Is anyone willing to walk me through how to get adb working on my mac and then how to connect my Droid with it? I am tired of always having to figure out how to do things with the terminal emulator app when people's instructions always involve using adb instead. I would prefer to do it via PMs or Gtalk since I am sure I'll have some questions along the way. I've been asking in other people's threads for the past week or so and just haven't had any offers so I thought I would start a new thread and try my luck again.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Yes I would like a walkthrough on this as well. I have installed the Android SDK through Eclipse but thats as far as Ive got
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Anybody? How about if I pay for the service?
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I looked FOREVER for these instructions. While I didn't write them, they definitely worked for me:

- Download the Android SDK for Macintosh at: Android SDK | Android Developers
    - Extract it
    - Download Fastboot for OSX (If not included with SDK)
    - Extract fastboot and place it in your /tools folder.
    - Open up a terminal window
    - type: pico .bash_profile (this will create a .bash_profile)
    - type the following in the new screen: export PATH=$
    {PATH}:<sdkfolder>/tools
    - Hit CNTRL + X
    - Hit Y (for yes to save)
    - It will return you to the terminal screen… type: exit
    - Restart terminal.
    - Then you can use your adb commands like you would on a PC. To test this, plug your device in (make sure its in debugging mode), then type "adb devices" in the new terminal window. It should show up with a number. This means you are good to go.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    These worked for me as well. I'm running snow leopard, connecting my droid 2.0.1, no problems running ddms.

I also installed eclipse; and can get ddms to load on eclipse; but it doesn't seem to show my phone connected. WAIT.... if I disconnect, and make sure eclipse is loaded first, then connect device, it loads! You have to make sure the SDK path is correct in prefs.

Now that I'm in, I can pull files off easily, replacing is a different story. I know you have to be very careful not to change anything, so you don't brick it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mynticelx View Post
    I looked FOREVER for these instructions. While I didn't write them, they definitely worked for me....
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynticelx View Post
    I looked FOREVER for these instructions. While I didn't write them, they definitely worked for me:

- Download the Android SDK for Macintosh at: Android SDK | Android Developers
    - Extract it
    - Download Fastboot for OSX (If not included with SDK)
    - Extract fastboot and place it in your /tools folder.
    - Open up a terminal window
    - type: pico .bash_profile (this will create a .bash_profile)
    - type the following in the new screen: export PATH=$
    {PATH}:<sdkfolder>/tools
    - Hit CNTRL + X
    - Hit Y (for yes to save)
    - It will return you to the terminal screen… type: exit
    - Restart terminal.
    - Then you can use your adb commands like you would on a PC. To test this, plug your device in (make sure its in debugging mode), then type "adb devices" in the new terminal window. It should show up with a number. This means you are good to go.
    Where should I extract the SDK to? I have no experience with command lines or terminals, so I need figure out what the path command would be depending on where I put it.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    On a Mac just put it on ur desktop. U can open sdk and go to tools from there. Then go to adb and open it. Plug in ur phone in USB debugging mode. In ur top toolbar on ur Mac click shell. Then click run command and type in adb shell. Ur in. To use adb u don't need eclipse. Just the sdk.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Ok, I downloaded SDK, extracted it to my desktop, downloaded fastboot and placed it in /tools. When I open a terminal window and type pico .bash_profile, I am getting no such file or directory. Now just a minute ago, I ran the pico .bash_profile command but did not have the fastboot, so nothing worked. How can I undo the pico .bash_profile and export PATH=$
    {PATH}:<sdkfolder>/tools commands that I ran before having downloaded fastboot so I can start over?
    Last edited by JhankG; 12-29-2009 at 04:43 PM.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Hey Hank I've been trying to get all this stuff worked out on my Mac as well. See if anything posted in my thread helps. I haven't made it home to try out any of the last suggestions that were made yet but I would be more than willing to share if I make any progress.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandroid247 View Post
    Hey Hank I've been trying to get all this stuff worked out on my Mac as well. See if anything posted in my thread helps. I haven't made it home to try out any of the last suggestions that were made yet but I would be more than willing to share if I make any progress.
    Thanks Dan! I actually finally got it figured out with help from some other forum members, but I appreciate the offer. If there is anything I can (attempt) to help you with, feel free to PM me!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links