DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ADB on Mac

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    yeah, i just got mine working too bro. I just need a big dictionary of what some of this stuff means cause I have so many questions. Like, whats a daemon?? And, do I have to type ./ for all commands? And, the whole shell thing I haven't fully grasped the concept of but I'm working on it for sure. Or su which I'm guessing means super user? So much to learn, I love it.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Anytime you are running a command that is not in a directory that's part of your PATH variable you need to either use the full path to the executable or use ./ while in the directory the file is located in.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    If you want to try and get a handle on using the terminal you might check out INX, it's a linux live CD that is completely command line based and has some good quick lessons to get you up and running!
    INX Is Not X : A command line and console Linux "Live CD" based on a minimal Ubuntu, without the X window system graphical interface. INX has some surprising capabilities...
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mammlouk View Post
    Anytime you are running a command that is not in a directory that's part of your PATH variable you need to either use the full path to the executable or use ./ while in the directory the file is located in.
    so like when you run a cd command you don't have to use the ./ because you aren't actually performing a command inside a directory? But if run an install command then you have to use ./ because you are actually performing a directory command?

Is that even close to being right? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions for real . I'm also guessing that path variable means the entire string like the whole users/username/location/blah/blah right?
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    If you want to try and get a handle on using the terminal you might check out INX, it's a linux live CD that is completely command line based and has some good quick lessons to get you up and running!
    INX Is Not X : A command line and console Linux "Live CD" based on a minimal Ubuntu, without the X window system graphical interface. INX has some surprising capabilities...
    thanx yo, that is gonna be lots of help, at least it should be anyway lol. I really do appreciate the patience with my questions. I just really get into this stuff and this being all new and me loving to learn makes for a dangerous combination. Im definitely gonna play around with this and see what I can do. I would really like to figure out the whole busybox thing to because I'm not quite sure what all it does but that is for another thread I think
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    gotta try this later as well.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandroid247 View Post
    thanx yo, that is gonna be lots of help, at least it should be anyway lol. I really do appreciate the patience with my questions. I just really get into this stuff and this being all new and me loving to learn makes for a dangerous combination. Im definitely gonna play around with this and see what I can do. I would really like to figure out the whole busybox thing to because I'm not quite sure what all it does but that is for another thread I think
    Busybox is basically an "embedded" version of the GNU toolset that replaces standard unix commands, it provides things like the "cp", "ln", and "mv" commands. This just makes using a shell on the droid a bit more user friendly and more like a standard linux environment.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Is it possible to have the terminal on my mac start up using the adb command so that I don't have to type everything in each time?
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by JhankG View Post
    Is it possible to have the terminal on my mac start up using the adb command so that I don't have to type everything in each time?
    Somebody posted in the other thread that if you just drag the tools folder into terminal it'll map it out automatically. So now I just type in cd then drag and drop the tools folder, hit return and its good to go.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I'm not really sure what you mean by "start up with the adb command". Do you mean start an adb shell? Do you mean with adb in the path so you don't have to change directories to use it? Try to explain a bit more.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links