DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Night mode...

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Night mode...

Google maps has its own Night mode which basically inverts colors so there is not a blatantly bright white color when using your navigation at night.

Even if I can't have night mode throughout the entire phone can we somehow get it for the browser? More specifically is there a way to do it for Dolphin HD browser?

This feature has been asked around the web from what I can tell but no one has come up with a solution....it seems that it would be easy enough compared to the amazing hacks some of you people come up with but I have yet to see a solution.

Waiting in agonizing anticipation...D1 user.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    A fair question.

I would think that you might hit up dolphin directly, however IMO hard to do because one, maps just has to change a small number of graphic items to turn into "night" mode, and these never change over time, backround, road colors, etc. are constant.

Trying to predict what the browser should change based upon (time? a specific time. or would it have to interface with another source to get sunrise/sunset info, maps get's it from the GPS signal).

Secondly, what your browser displays is never constant, and even a simple inversion of a white backround/black text to black with white can make it tough depending on the website being displayed, even if accomplished, it would IMO likely give you way higher page load times, as the browser would have to read the page code and run scripts to make the changes before finally displaying the page.

As far as other apps, a lot of themers have already made blacked out versions of the most popular apps for the very reason you speak of, however it is for a permenant change, some hate the bright white backrounds on the market, messaging, etc.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    There are options in CyanogenMod (maybe some other ROMs, especially ones built from CM) that do this. It is called Render FX. There are a few of different colors and options you can do with it.

First few options (normal render): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10407325/options.png

Bottom options (Salmon rendered): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10407325/salmon.png

ESPN.com with stock Browser ("night mode" Red) : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10407325/night.png

Angry Birds Seasons (Terminal Green) : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10407325/green.png

I don't have Dolphin installed to show what it would look like, but I am sure you kinda get the idea.

You could probably even get Tasker setup to toggle these automagically at night when you launch Dolphin or whatever.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by RW-1 View Post
    A fair question.

I would think that you might hit up dolphin directly, however IMO hard to do because one, maps just has to change a small number of graphic items to turn into "night" mode, and these never change over time, backround, road colors, etc. are constant.

Trying to predict what the browser should change based upon (time? a specific time. or would it have to interface with another source to get sunrise/sunset info, maps get's it from the GPS signal).

Secondly, what your browser displays is never constant, and even a simple inversion of a white backround/black text to black with white can make it tough depending on the website being displayed, even if accomplished, it would IMO likely give you way higher page load times, as the browser would have to read the page code and run scripts to make the changes before finally displaying the page.

As far as other apps, a lot of themers have already made blacked out versions of the most popular apps for the very reason you speak of, however it is for a permenant change, some hate the bright white backrounds on the market, messaging, etc.
    Just a toggle option for night mode would be great. Even if it is just a straight inversion of colors for readability this would be a great feature. I read somewhere Cyanogen had this for 6.1 in the browser but I never saw it. I do use the LauncherPro Facebook widget which has a dark gray background with white lettering and I love it, so much easier on the eyes then the default widget.

Quote Originally Posted by cupfulloflol View Post
    There are options in CyanogenMod (maybe some other ROMs, especially ones built from CM) that do this. It is called Render FX. There are a few of different colors and options you can do with it.

First few options (normal render): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10407325/options.png

Bottom options (Salmon rendered): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10407325/salmon.png

ESPN.com with stock Browser ("night mode" Red) : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10407325/night.png

Angry Birds Seasons (Terminal Green) : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10407325/green.png

I don't have Dolphin installed to show what it would look like, but I am sure you kinda get the idea.

You could probably even get Tasker setup to toggle these automagically at night when you launch Dolphin or whatever.
    These do "dim" or tint the whites a bit and I have tried them out, salmon probably being the least "intrusive" of the renders. It isn't exactly what I am looking for though and was actually hoping someone might use the "render" code to enable a sort of night mode.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    What I do is I just turn the brightness all the way down and its sufficient.
    How To: Compiling a Custom Version of Clockwork Mod Recovery
    <-- Lockscreen

ROM: Incredibly Re-Engineered v2.3
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid A855
    The UD 3.0b ROM has a built in feature for using the phone at night, simple desktop toggle widget, turns everything "Nightime Red". Not sure if other ROM's offer this. Dolphin HD looks good in night mode but it is a little difficult to read some sites, YMMV.

John

Links