DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Data throttling Hack: Myth or Real?

  1. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    The 'throttling' has nothing to do with a 'usage cap.' We see more than enough people using huge numbers every month due to media and/or tethering so the idea of a cap is clearly not supported. There IS however 'throttling' based on other factors. VZW, and ALL network providers (cell, ISPs EVERYONE) 'throttle' everyone because contrary to major believe bandwidth is NOT infinite. Again this hack edits the device ID properties (for lack of a better term) so the network sees it as NetCard which is given priority. In addition highly congested networks are always adjusting so when someone is sitting on their couch at 1am (i.e. off-peak) applying said hack they are going to get a higher transfer than at 1pm in the middle of the day so these results have to be further scrutinized. As for being a 'placebo' effect it's kind of hard to call that when there are before/after screenshot of speeds only 10 min apart. There is, for certain people, clear advantages to the mod.
    aren't the netcards also 3g? as in they max out at 1-2Mbps? I honestly don't know that's why I'm asking. If they are 3g, double speeds still don't make sense...

    and sure VZW throttles a little, but not enough that your max is cut in half. That's my point. Reporting that you see double speeds after applying this "hack" makes no sense, regardless of throttling or network congestion. If it actually does work, what you would see is a steady 1-2Mbps always, not a sudden doubling of your up/down speeds. It's a limitation of 3g that no amount of hacking is going to overcome...

    (I havent done any research on this, so please feel free to correct me)
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  2. Droid Ninja
    patmw123's Avatar
    Member #
    17526
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,665
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    #12
    I applied it to my Droid 2 and couldn't notice a difference whatsoever
  3. Droid Sensei
    KZIWarrior's Avatar
    Member #
    21812
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,634
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post

    aren't the netcards also 3g? as in they max out at 1-2Mbps? I honestly don't know that's why I'm asking. If they are 3g, double speeds still don't make sense...

    and sure VZW throttles a little, but not enough that your max is cut in half. That's my point. Reporting that you see double speeds after applying this "hack" makes no sense, regardless of throttling or network congestion. If it actually does work, what you would see is a steady 1-2Mbps always, not a sudden doubling of your up/down speeds. It's a limitation of 3g that no amount of hacking is going to overcome...

    (I havent done any research on this, so please feel free to correct me)

    Yes they are 3G and that's exactly the speeds we're talking about. People are going from <1M to ~ 1.5-2M. So essentially they are getting full 3G speeds and double their speeds. You'd be surprised at how much throttling goes on in high-traffic areas. In downtown Nashville I average about 1.3M and can get 1.6M but if I go to certain areas (local area called 'Cool Springs' for example) my speeds dropped to ~.5M just because of the increased traffic per tower. In that area yes the hack made a difference (i.e. I now get about 1-1.5M after the hack). So if you are in an area getting 1-2M than no, you are not going to see a difference. If you are in a highly congested area you might but yes, you're still limited by the actual speeds of 3G.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  4. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post

    aren't the netcards also 3g? as in they max out at 1-2Mbps? I honestly don't know that's why I'm asking. If they are 3g, double speeds still don't make sense...

    and sure VZW throttles a little, but not enough that your max is cut in half. That's my point. Reporting that you see double speeds after applying this "hack" makes no sense, regardless of throttling or network congestion. If it actually does work, what you would see is a steady 1-2Mbps always, not a sudden doubling of your up/down speeds. It's a limitation of 3g that no amount of hacking is going to overcome...

    (I havent done any research on this, so please feel free to correct me)

    Yes they are 3G and that's exactly the speeds we're talking about. People are going from <1M to ~ 1.5-2M. So essentially they are getting full 3G speeds and double their speeds. You'd be surprised at how much throttling goes on in high-traffic areas. In downtown Nashville I average about 1.3M and can get 1.6M but if I go to certain areas (local area called 'Cool Springs' for example) my speeds dropped to ~.5M just because of the increased traffic per tower. In that area yes the hack made a difference (i.e. I now get about 1-1.5M after the hack). So if you are in an area getting 1-2M than no, you are not going to see a difference. If you are in a highly congested area might but yes, you're still limited by the actual speeds of 3G.
    ah ok got it. But that still begs the question, wouldn't you see a consistent 1.5 - 2 with this hack applied. I mean yes, network congestion is a factor, but if your device is given "priority" by this hack, and any possible throttle is turned off, I can't imagine you dipping below 1 ever. Is that what you see? That you're consistently and always over 1? I still don't think the hack does anything, but going below 1 at any time would pretty much prove that, i would think.
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  5. Droid
    streetrod's Avatar
    Member #
    86919
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    38
    Phone
    moto droid 1
    #15
    I live less than a half mile from a tower, I have gotten as high as 2.09M,but the norm is 1-1.5M.

    BTW, I i am not using the hack.
    Last edited by streetrod; 01-10-2011 at 09:53 AM.
  6. Droid Sensei
    KZIWarrior's Avatar
    Member #
    21812
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,634
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    ah ok got it. But that still begs the question, wouldn't you see a consistent 1.5 - 2 with this hack applied. I mean yes, network congestion is a factor, but if your device is given "priority" by this hack, and any possible throttle is turned off, I can't imagine you dipping below 1 ever. Is that what you see? That you're consistently and always over 1? I still don't think the hack does anything, but going below 1 at any time would pretty much prove that, i would think.
    Not necessarily. Just because you have 'priority' doesn't mean you're given full speeds. If there are enough users with the same priority or enough total users everyone will be throttled back so that everyone at least has some bandwidth. Again has to do a LOT with the number of users in a given area (i.e. per tower or local network hub). There is also a the issue about TOTAL bandwidth per a given area (i.e. city or metro area). Remember that just because a tower or even a given provider isn't 'maxed out' doesn't mean that the whole area is being throttled. ALL areas only have limited bandwidth that is shared for ALL traffic in and out of that area. So while VZW's tower might be capable of 'giving' you more it might not have any more to give. I have a friend that until recently worked for a LARGE cable provider in NC and you'd be surprised at just how 'congested' the main bandwidth 'pipes' are in the country. In that region of NC they were routinely running near 100%. And I'm talking about 'long haul' lines that the provider connects to not what's going to your house.
    Last edited by KZIWarrior; 01-10-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  7. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    ah ok got it. But that still begs the question, wouldn't you see a consistent 1.5 - 2 with this hack applied. I mean yes, network congestion is a factor, but if your device is given "priority" by this hack, and any possible throttle is turned off, I can't imagine you dipping below 1 ever. Is that what you see? That you're consistently and always over 1? I still don't think the hack does anything, but going below 1 at any time would pretty much prove that, i would think.
    Not necessarily. Just because you have 'priority' doesn't mean you're given full speeds. If there are enough users with the same priority or enough total users everyone will be throttled back so that everyone at least has some bandwidth. Again has to do a LOT with the number of users in a given area (i.e. per tower or local network hub). There is also a the issue about TOTAL bandwidth per a given area (i.e. city or metro area). Remember that just because a tower or even a given provider isn't 'maxed out' doesn't mean that the whole area is being throttled. ALL areas only have limited bandwidth that is shared for ALL traffic in and out of that area. So while VZW's tower might be capable of 'giving' you more it might not have any more to give. I have a friend that until recently worked for a LARGE cable provider in NC and you'd be surprised at just how 'congested' the main bandwidth 'pipes' are in the country. In that region of NC they were routinely running near 100%. And I'm talking about 'long haul' lines the provider connect to not what's going to your house.
    right, this is what i thought was happening. so again, this hack really doesn't do much unless you live in a low traffic area with available bandwidth, but to be sure, since you say that verizon doesn't throttle dependent on data usage cap, everyone should experience this behavior with or without this hack...

    in other words if i have this hack applied and i'm in a low traffic area, i'll experience the same speeds as someone without the hack, because there will be less throttling, and we are limited by the max speed of 3g regardless of whether the hack is applied or not.

    conversely, if i'm in a high traffic area with limited bandwidth, i'd experience the same speeds as someone without the hack, because there will be more throttling and less bandwidth to share between the both of us. this hack allegedly removes the throttling, but that doesn't increase alloted bandwidth for that area...so while my "priority" might be higher, network congestion will prevent me from noticing any appreciable speed gains...

    i'm still in the boat of this hack is useless/placebo.
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  8. Droid Sensei
    KZIWarrior's Avatar
    Member #
    21812
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,634
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    #18
    Mileage varies, again it doesn't do much for me in downtown Nashville or my home but I do see a difference in certain areas. Worse case it doesn't hurt. Those that can do it have root and should have nandroid backups so backup, install and test. I've only heard of a few instances where it 'hurt' performance but then you can just restore the backup. Enough people are showing results in certain areas so again, it's not really a 'placebo' as much as there are limited areas where it will/can work.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  9. Droid Sensei
    czerdrill's Avatar
    Member #
    22335
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,850
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    Mileage varies, again it doesn't do much for me in downtown Nashville or my home but I do see a difference in certain areas. Worse case it doesn't hurt. Those that can do it have root and should have nandroid backups so backup, install and test. I've only heard of a few instances where it 'hurt' performance but then you can just restore the backup. Enough people are showing results in certain areas so again, it's not really a 'placebo' as much as there are limited areas where it will/can work.
    yep your right, and thanks for your patience with my ignorance on this subject
    Google Interview Q&A

    Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  10. Droid Sensei
    KZIWarrior's Avatar
    Member #
    21812
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,634
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    #20
    NP, hopefully it's on point, that was one of the better description of what the hack does and how it works but really I don't think anyone has confirmed anything (other than some uses, for whatever reason do appear to get better speeds). Would be nice to get confirmation. Of course the BIG thing that was brought up in the originating threads was if these mods violated your EUA and could be grounds for VZW to drop your contract (not that they are likely to, but still).
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Data Throttling Hack for Sapphire 2.0
    By winner00 in forum cvpcs
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 12:10 PM
  2. Data Throttling Hack for BB 0.6.2
    By winner00 in forum Bugless
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 06:04 PM
  3. Data Throttling Hack for SS 4.95
    By winner00 in forum ChevyNo1
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM
  4. Data Throttling Hack for Charity 11.1
    By winner00 in forum Android Roms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Search tags for this page

android data usage hack
,
bypass data throttle
,
data usage hack
,
hack data usage android
,
how to get around tmobile data cap
,
how to hack data usage limit
,
t mobile throttle workaround
,
t-mobile data throttle hack
,

tmobile data throttle hack

,
tmobile throttle bypass
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+