DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overclocking The Droid?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @berzerker7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
    It's possible. The OMAP3430 (the processor the Droid uses) is true stock clocked at 800MHz, but that drains batteries within an hour so it's completely unrealistic. The iPhone 3GS runs the same processor clocked at 613MHz. Currently, the kernel does not support pushing the processor over 550MHz. So we have to wait and see what kind of modifying people will do to the kernel.
    But I thought our processor was this.>ARM Cortex-A8 - ARM Processor
    Yes. ARM is a type of architecture. The Droid uses a Texas Instruments OMAP3430 processor, based on the ARM Cortex-A8 architecture. It also seems I misread the website. the 3440 is clocked at 800MHz, while the 3430, the droid's is stock at 600MHz. But, newly designed models, such as the 3640, are stock at 1GHz...so there are phone processors that are reaching the 1GHz area.

On a side note, the Google Nexus One and Acer Liquid phones run a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor clocked at 1GHz.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Try the app SetCPU for Root Users ... $.99 .... says you need root and the Superuser app.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    It's possible. The OMAP3430 (the processor the Droid uses) is true stock clocked at 800MHz, but that drains batteries within an hour so it's completely unrealistic. The iPhone 3GS runs the same processor clocked at 613MHz. Currently, the kernel does not support pushing the processor over 550MHz. So we have to wait and see what kind of modifying people will do to the kernel.
    Yes. ARM is a type of architecture. The Droid uses a Texas Instruments OMAP3430 processor, based on the ARM Cortex-A8 architecture. It also seems I misread the website. the 3440 is clocked at 800MHz, while the 3430, the droid's is stock at 600MHz. But, newly designed models, such as the 3640, are stock at 1GHz...so there are phone processors that are reaching the 1GHz area.

On a side note, the Google Nexus One and Acer Liquid phones run a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor clocked at 1GHz.
    Yeah, I was reading the last page and I was like "There's no way the Droid's proc. is stock clocked to 800...." But yeah it's only clocked to 600 regularly. There's no [safe/stable] way to overclock it to 1GHz, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by korp View Post
    Try the app SetCPU for Root Users ... $.99 .... says you need root and the Superuser app.
    I'm pretty sure that will let you clock it to the stock speed, but you wont be able to overclock it. If what I've read is correct, overclocking it would require a modified kernel.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Milestone.
    The true omap3430 is specified to run in any case at 600. Some devices have been selected for archos so as to be abled to reach 800 (they've been solde as 3440). But 600 is the base.
    Anyway we've been running around 900 in lab with these.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Milestone.
    Quote Originally Posted by iSecks View Post

Yeah, I was reading the last page and I was like "There's no way the Droid's proc. is stock clocked to 800...." But yeah it's only clocked to 600 regularly. There's no [safe/stable] way to overclock it to 1GHz, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by korp View Post
    I'm pretty sure that will let you clock it to the stock speed, but you wont be able to overclock it. If what I've read is correct, overclocking it would require a modified kernel.
    You can try at 800, it may work but also consume more (in a 800/550 ratio...). It will get hot anyway. Around 1Ghz has been reached in lab conditions...
    I'd say 600~650 is defintely possible with minor effect. But let's keep in mind that moto has the possibility to do it and finally didn't...

And keep it mind that you will not notice a difference, because most of the visual/display stuff are coming from memory subsystem and display conbtroller... That is not overclocked.
    Have a short comparison between 2.1 port of android on droid and nexus. Is the difference looking like a 2x frequency increase? (550 vs 1000). I seriously doubt of it.
    Last edited by greg_p; 01-04-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links