DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Is It Worth Rooting The Droid 2?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global

Is It Worth Rooting The Droid 2?

i am very new to rooting and all the stuff about ROMS and stuff like that. i just want to know if it is worth rooting the droid 2? and if so what should i use for reference and what should i put on it? and how much of a possibility is there that i could "brick" my phone?

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    In my opinion its not worth having a droid 2 unless its rooted. Blur was extremely laggy for the short time i used it and the phone improves in just about every way after rooting and flashing roms. Its extremely easy to root most phones now especially the droid 2 with an app called z4root which is in the market. I would suggest reading up on what exactly rooting is to make sure it is right for you. Most of the information you need should be in the droid hacks section and droid 2 hacks section. Good luck! Feel free to pm me with any questions you may have.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Yeah, z4root is the best way to go. After that I would highly recommend checking out teamdefuse.com and installing the Fission ROM, which is a great AOSP/stock-like ROM that is customizable. You'll have to make a small donation (with a price you can specify) in order to receive the Fission ROM Manager, but it is definitely more than worth the effort.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    While donations for hard working developers is great, donations that are made in order to obtain a special feature seems to go completely against what makes the Android OS so great, open source. Obviously different roms run differently on different phones and I personally had just a few issues with fission, but GummyJAR is definitely the closest thing that droid 2 users have to AOSP. While the actual build is a motorola build (just like every other droid 2 rom), just about every system app is from source. This includes the AOSP lockscreen which fixes lockscreen reboot problems which many Droid 2 rom users suffer from. The next GummyJAR release also plans to include an option for the old rotary lockscreen which many people prefer. Tanzanite by CVPCS is also scheduled to be released in the next week or so which is also a great alternative to GummyJAR. The best thing to do is to try different roms to figure out what runs best for your peticular phone.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Also, realize that the D2 does not have a true recovery. Bootstrap is not a "true recovery" like clockwork for the Droid 1 is, meaning that it doesn't actually replace your stock recovery, it intercepts part of the boot sequence and sort of "jumps in line" and redirects the process to clockwork.

So, if you press X + power to "boot into recovery" you will find yourself in stock android recovery, which is very limited for real recovery problems, especially with a custom ROM installed (no nandroids in stock recovery...). Bootstrap is also "supposed" to automatically intercept the signal each time there is a battery pull as a safety measure, but it isn't 100% reliable. For this reason, you "sweat" a little bit more with the D2 than the D1 (like the time I couldn't boot up to flash an sbf or boot into recovery to restore a backup...that was fun! But I got it back soon enough )

I rooted my D2 within days and never looked back (running 1.4GHz pushing Quadrant to 2600+ scores...who would?!). I ran Fission too, and it was pretty good. Plain vanilla feel and very smooth. Squidly roms are great imo, that was my favorite when all was said and done. Haven't tried GummyJAR though -- so just give em all a try and see which one you like!

Links