DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booting into Recovery mode

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2

Booting into Recovery mode

While this is a newbie question... I at least did attempt to find the answer before asking... so thanks in advance for the assistance.

I was given a droid 2 to exchange out the blackberry storm I had as a very nice Christmas present (I must of been a good boy sometime last year). Motorola/Verizon when I went to get the phone activated I was asked if I wanted the phone rooted and tethering set up, which I did.

Having the phone for a week I'm about ready to start tinkering, but I can't seem to get the phone to go to Recovery mode, I've powered down... held down the "x" and the power button and all I get is the green droid with a triangle above it with an exclamation point in the middle of it... requiring a battery pull to bring the phone back to life.

I've tried to hold the "x" and power button on the whole time... just the "x", a couple different things but still no joy. I'm just trying to get the basics down prior to playing a bit more...

So besides holding my tongue wrong why can't I boot into Recovery mode?

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutor View Post
    While this is a newbie question... I at least did attempt to find the answer before asking... so thanks in advance for the assistance.

I was given a droid 2 to exchange out the blackberry storm I had as a very nice Christmas present (I must of been a good boy sometime last year). Motorola/Verizon when I went to get the phone activated I was asked if I wanted the phone rooted and tethering set up, which I did.

Having the phone for a week I'm about ready to start tinkering, but I can't seem to get the phone to go to Recovery mode, I've powered down... held down the "x" and the power button and all I get is the green droid with a triangle above it with an exclamation point in the middle of it... requiring a battery pull to bring the phone back to life.

I've tried to hold the "x" and power button on the whole time... just the "x", a couple different things but still no joy. I'm just trying to get the basics down prior to playing a bit more...

So besides holding my tongue wrong why can't I boot into Recovery mode?
    You're on the right track. Once you see that robot standing next to the exclamation, HOLD DOWN the magnifying glass symbol (search) on your physical keyboard. Then use the volume buttons to maneuver, and camera button to confirm.
    Note: choose the wipe data/factory reset first. Confirm by pushing the camera button. Once completed, maneuver to REBOOT SYSTEM NOW. Again, confirm by pushing the camera button. DONE.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    [QUOTE=Tutor;1120078

I was given a droid 2 to exchange out the blackberry storm I had as a very nice Christmas present (I must of been a good boy sometime last year). Motorola/Verizon when I went to get the phone activated I was asked if I wanted the phone rooted and tethering set up, which I did[/QUOTE]

Really? Verizon asked you if you wanted your phone rooted? Am I missing something or does rooting not void your warranty anymore?
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2
    Thanks for this reply nibblit... works like it should...

Quote Originally Posted by nibblit View Post
    Note: choose the wipe data/factory reset first. Confirm by pushing the camera button. Once completed, maneuver to REBOOT SYSTEM NOW. Again, confirm by pushing the camera button. DONE.
    I take it if I used the wipe data/factory reset it kills everything I've already done to the phone ... or does it wipe data and install the update.zip on the sdcard? thus installing the backed up files I have on the sdcard? (I have been using titanium to back up)
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 1 *Root*
    Thanks for this reply nibblit... works like it should...

Quote Originally Posted by nibblit View Post
    I take it if I used the wipe data/factory reset it kills everything I've already done to the phone ... or does it wipe data and install the update.zip on the sdcard? thus installing the backed up files I have on the sdcard? (I have been using titanium to back up)
    Wiping will not touch anything on the SD
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by BigZig View Post
    Really? Verizon asked you if you wanted your phone rooted? Am I missing something or does rooting not void your warranty anymore?
    Kiosk at the mall... guess he hacks phones on the side for a few extra funds, I didn't know much about droids prior to me getting this phone, only touched the penguin once briefly on a desktop, so my wife told him to do it when I transfered numbers.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    [quote=BigZig;1120183]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutor;1120078

I was given a droid 2 to exchange out the blackberry storm I had as a very nice Christmas present (I must of been a good boy sometime last year). Motorola/Verizon when I went to get the phone activated I was asked if I wanted the phone rooted and tethering set up, which I did[/quote

Yes, it does void your warranty. Oddly, I've had similar experiences at 2 different Verizon stores. The reps were more than happy to discuss cool hacks w/me regarding rooted D2s. o.O
    -Victoria
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    O I see well rooted is better anyways. But be careful and always backup, have fun. I will bow out gracefuly b/c I do not have a D2 and can not help was just curious about the rooting thing.
  10. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Your rep's name wasn't Dustin was it? Haha!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigZig View Post
    Kiosk at the mall... guess he hacks phones on the side for a few extra funds, I didn't know much about droids prior to me getting this phone, only touched the penguin once briefly on a desktop, so my wife told him to do it when I transfered numbers.

DroidForums junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    You're very welcome. Glad I could help.
    -Victoria
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links