DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rooted but need upgrade..what to do?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Rooted but need upgrade..what to do?

Hi ladies and gents,

I have never used this droidforums app before so bare with me if this is not in the proper location.I just have a quick question,I am rooted but don't have any custom roms..in other words I am just stock but rooted..I basically just rooted to have wifi tethering..I keep getting the notification on top to system upgrade..do I do this?I did do it on accident and nothing happened..it took me to the screen I saw with the big android when I was rooting and then nothing happened..what can I do?how do I upgrade my system then root?thank you very much in advance..and if this is already taken care of sorry I've been busy with my new move to a new location.

Thanks,

Grow

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Hi. Its definitely the correct place. I was rooted using z4root and accepted the 2.2.1 update and promptly lost root. Z4root was unable to reroot, but I was able to achieve root using the superoneclick found over at XDA. Its not an app but computer software. I would try unrooting first, accepting the update, then try z4root or use superoneclick.
    Good luck
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Actually this isn't the right place A mod will probably move you to the right section soon
    HTC Eris - Droid - Droid 2 - Droid X - iPhone 4 - Thunderbolt - Galaxy Nexus - iPhone 4S - iPhone 5 - iPhone 5S - Galaxy S4
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbst View Post
    Actually this isn't the right place A mod will probably move you to the right section soon
    Yes, wanting to find out about hacking information isn't exactly potential news. Let's try it over here.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    DROID Bionic
    Bump, I am also in the same boat and rooted with SBF Recovery.

What do we do? Will we need to unroot our phones, install the update, and then re-root? If so, how do we do this?

Thanks!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound, OG Droid
    If you're using a custom recovery tool like SPRecovery or Clockwork, they should block the update if you accept it. Of you don't have one, the update will break root and you can always re-root using one of the methods on this forum; this one will work: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version and it will install SPRecovery if you do the whole process. Then you won't have to worry about breaking root again.

If you want to try and install the update without breaking root, you can try this method: Installing FRG83D on a Motocache1 rooted Droid

I wasn't able to because my ROM has been modified too much; if you're using a more-or-less stock version of FRG22D, you should be okay.

Your other choice would be to start from root, use a recovery image like above, and then flash a rooted version of FRG83D. You'll have to wipe everything and re-load your apps like with any other ROM, but it's up to you which method you want to try.
    Last edited by jeffe65; 12-17-2010 at 09:51 AM.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    DROID Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffe65 View Post
    If you're using a custom recovery tool like SPRecovery or Clockwork, they should block the update if you accept it. Of you don't have one, the update will break root and you can always re-root using one of the methods on this forum; this one will work: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version and it will install SPRecovery if you do the whole process. Then you won't have to worry about breaking root again.

If you want to try and install the update without breaking root, you can try this method: Installing FRG83D on a Motocache1 rooted Droid

I wasn't able to because my ROM has been modified too much; if you're using a more-or-less stock version of FRG22D, you should be okay.

Your other choice would be to start from root, use a recovery image like above, and then flash a rooted version of FRG83D. You'll have to wipe everything and re-load your apps like with any other ROM, but it's up to you which method you want to try.
    Page not found for your link.

Is there any way to simply unroot, install update, and re-root again?
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound, OG Droid
    Don't know why the link was broken; here's the address: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ted-droid.html

You can unroot to install the update, but to re-root, you'll have to use one of the "long" methods like the first one in my previous post, as none of the one-click methods work at present. I don't have any links offhand for unrooting; if I find one I'll post it.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound, OG Droid
    For unrooting, try this guide: Multiple phones - Root them, unroot them

I haven't used it, but there are plenty who can help you. Good luck!
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffe65 View Post

I am also in the same boat.

Rooted Droid 1 running Froyo with SPRecovery...only added ChevyNo1's med voltage 1.1 kernel.

Is there a reliable rooted version of FRG83D available yet?

If not what are the other options?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links