DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installing FRG83D on a Motocache1 rooted Droid

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1

Installing FRG83D on a Motocache1 rooted Droid

Hey guys. I've used the knowledge on this forum several times to help me with my Driod 1. I figured it was time to register and try to give a little back.

I had rooted 2.2 with MotoCache1's instructions in this post several months ago and wanted to install 2.2.1 (FRG83D) and still have root access. I tried to install the OTA update pushed by Verizon, but as I found out in this thread, SPRecovery, installed in the MotoCache1's hack, blocks it.

After a bunch of digging I found NetNathan had posted the .zip of the OTA update. Then I saw that log had posted a way to edit the meta-inf/com/google/android/updater-script file so the update didn't remove SPRecovery and Root.

So I downloaded NetNathan's OTA file, unzipped it, edited it using log's instructions and renamed it update.zip.

It works like a charm. The only hiccup was that I used Wordpad to edit the file initially, as I found in this post, you need to use an editor that doesn't add any formatting crap. Once I used Notepad ++ to edit the file it installed just fine.

And I still have root access. Verified by running drocap2 to take some screen captures, which requires root.

According to log,
    Note this will only work if you haven't messed with your FRG22D too much, mainly that no system apps have been removed.
    which my phone was.

So here is the process to install FRG83D if you've rooted using Motocache1's hack.

1. Download my edited update.zip file and copy it to the root of your SD card replacing the update.zip that was put there during the original root process.
    2. Boot into SPRecovery by holding the X key.
    3. Select Install
    4. Select Allow update.zip installation
    5. Select Install /sdcard/update.zip (depreciated)
    6. After it's done, hit the Power button a couple times to get back to the 1st SPRecovery screen, select Reboot and you're golden!

It's my understanding that this method doesn't get you the newest stock recovery script but I don't know enough to know why you'd need it.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound, OG Droid
    Glad you got it working; I wasn't able to. First I ran into the formatting issue until I installed Notepad++. Then I got the "Status 7" error, which I understood to mean it was looking for system apps and didn't find them. The only reference in the error was a .apk file that was, indeed, in the /system/app folder. I commented that reference out of the update file, and it gave me the the same error for the next file that is also in the system/app folder. If I comment-out every reference to get around the errors, what's the point in running the update? So I gave up at that point.

My current setup is the way I like it, and don't want to wipe and reload everything until I decide on another ROM and/or 2.3 update.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    @jeffe65
    Had you removed some system apps? I hadn't. Other than installing a few apps that required root, I hadn't screwed with it at all.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound, OG Droid
    No, but the ROM I'm using is metiCkOne's, and I don't think he removed anything (It's the deodexed FRG22D with Black Bar theming). I think he added one or two root apps, but that's all. What confused me was, it was giving me the error on apps that hadn't been removed, so I'm not sure what to do with it at this point. If I can't figure out a solution to the patch, I'm probably going to wait and see whether the next update shows up before too long, or if someone finally gets their hands on the full FRG83D build with the update.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Tried this and got an error on install.

after "Verifying current system..."

assert failed: apply-patch_check("/system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko , "14e9d8c26b4d99692a18551105d1450e940dc382" , "e39c008bcae082666ad65614c4893b9b80b446e3")
    E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (ststus 7)
    Installation aborted.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    @ FingersXG Are you running a stock, unmodded FRG22D ROM? It's my understanding that if it's not a stock ROM or you've removed system apps ect. this method won't work. My phone is rooted using the Motocache1's hack which doesn't mod the ROM at all, just gives you root. Just to double check I just downloaded my posted updated.zip, copied it to my SD card and it installed with no errors, so that update.zip works fine on my MotoDroid 1.
    Last edited by tvking63; 12-17-2010 at 03:59 PM.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Is this working for you guys?

My update.zip file has been downloaded over 60 times and no comments.

Someone post up and LMK if it works for you.
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I installed this about a week ago and it worked fine for me.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Good hear it's working.

Over 90 downloads now.....
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid
    it worked for me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast