Hey guys. I've used the knowledge on this forum several times to help me with my Driod 1. I figured it was time to register and try to give a little back.
I had rooted 2.2 with MotoCache1's instructions in this post several months ago and wanted to install 2.2.1 (FRG83D) and still have root access. I tried to install the OTA update pushed by Verizon, but as I found out in this thread, SPRecovery, installed in the MotoCache1's hack, blocks it.
After a bunch of digging I found NetNathan had posted the .zip of the OTA update. Then I saw that log had posted a way to edit the meta-inf/com/google/android/updater-script file so the update didn't remove SPRecovery and Root.
So I downloaded NetNathan's OTA file, unzipped it, edited it using log's instructions and renamed it update.zip.
It works like a charm. The only hiccup was that I used Wordpad to edit the file initially, as I found in this post, you need to use an editor that doesn't add any formatting crap. Once I used Notepad ++ to edit the file it installed just fine.
And I still have root access. Verified by running drocap2 to take some screen captures, which requires root.
According to log,which my phone was.Note this will only work if you haven't messed with your FRG22D too much, mainly that no system apps have been removed.
So here is the process to install FRG83D if you've rooted using Motocache1's hack.
1. Download my edited update.zip file and copy it to the root of your SD card replacing the update.zip that was put there during the original root process.
2. Boot into SPRecovery by holding the X key.
3. Select Install
4. Select Allow update.zip installation
5. Select Install /sdcard/update.zip (depreciated)
6. After it's done, hit the Power button a couple times to get back to the 1st SPRecovery screen, select Reboot and you're golden!
It's my understanding that this method doesn't get you the newest stock recovery script but I don't know enough to know why you'd need it.