DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions about FROYO

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID 3

A few questions about FROYO

I got a used moto droid off ebay about 2 months ago after having a palm pre plus for just over a month before dropping it in the toilet. I tried to read up on it, but I'm still really confused about this whole froyo update. How do I know if I have it? Of course I did have to go to verizon to get the phone activiated, so I would assume they would have updated if it needed it right? I also don't know what all this "rooted" nonsense is and I'm too afraid of screwing up my phone to try it.

I'm asking this mostly because I want to move apps onto my SD card but I can't figure it out. I googled for hours and the only instructions I could find on doing that said there was a "move to SD card" option. I am not seeing this on my droid which started to make me think I might not have froyo like I thought? I don't knowwww. Help please!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, T-bolt, Droid 2
    Go in to settings and about phone. If the android version says 2.2 then you have froyo. To move apps to sd you have to go to settings and then apps and then manage applications. Find the app you want to move to the sd card and open its management screen. Not all apps can be moved but if they can there will be a button to do so.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID 3
    Ok...so I guess I don't have it. Firmware version says 2.1 but when I go to system updates, it says my device is up to date. Do I get froyo somewhere else?

5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    No you should get it from the updates section. When did you say you got the phone?

6. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Two months ago lol should have read better

Do you know anything about the state of the phone? Was it moddifyed at all? You should have the update already and if not it should come up when you search for updates.

7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Are you running a stock ROM? If not, you'll want to update. If you are running stock then you'll have to update manually. I can provide instructions and the file. Then you should receive an update notice from Verizon within the next two weeks or so for another update; you'll want to accept that.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID 3
    I think I am running stock. Instructions would be great, furbearingmammal. Thanks in advance!

9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    Very easy way to tell if you're stock or rooted; First, reboot into recovery (hold down X, power phone up, keep holding X till you boot into recovery). If you get a triangle and an ! then you're stock recovery. Press volume up and camera button at the same time and select reboot phone with the d-pad. If you boot into clockwork recovery or SPRecovery (you won't get the big triangle), then you're rooted.

In the OS, go to the Market, download terminal emulator, and type su then hit enter. If you get a request for super user permissions OR the prompt changes from a $ to a #, then you're rooted.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID 3
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Very easy way to tell if you're stock or rooted; First, reboot into recovery (hold down X, power phone up, keep holding X till you boot into recovery). If you get a triangle and an ! then you're stock recovery. Press volume up and camera button at the same time and select reboot phone with the d-pad. If you boot into clockwork recovery or SPRecovery (you won't get the big triangle), then you're rooted.

In the OS, go to the Market, download terminal emulator, and type su then hit enter. If you get a request for super user permissions OR the prompt changes from a $ to a #, then you're rooted.

im guess i dont have to do this anymore because last night it updated on its own! magic! haha just kidding. but i did think it was odd that it happened not long after posting this...

one thing though-update caused issues. i posted these issues in another update post but ill post it here too-
    it uninstalled market and a few other apps (cant remember exactly what they were, i just know theyre gone because 3 of the icons on my homescreen are now just little green/white blocks and wont open), and volume will only go as low as vibrate.

thats all ive noticed so far since the update. i guess to fix this ill have to do a factory data reset which im really nervous to do :/
  11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    They vibrate thing has been going on since the first leaked FroYo build. You can set it to vibrate in the sound settings.

Some apps will go missing because they're not FroYo compatible and the Devs stopped working on them. And when you say it uninstalled the Market, do you mean you can't find it on your phone at all?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links