DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install: 2.1 the easy way

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID

Arrow How to install: 2.1 the easy way

UPDATES:

12/27/09 - ADDED "BUY ME A BEER" LINK IN SIGNATURE.
    12/24/09 - UPDATED LINKS AND FOR NEW VERSIONS OF THE BACKUP AND CHANGED SOME SMALL STUFF AROUND.
    12/21/09 - NOW UPDATED FOR DROIDROOTHELPER 5.0
    12/21/09 - NOW INCLUDES LATEST 2.1 NANDROID BACKUP with LIVE WALLPAPERS and VERIZON FIX among others.
    12/21/09 - ADDED A STEP I HAD FAILED TO MENTION. (SORRY GUYS

QUICK FACTS ABOUT THE 2.1 OS

1. Will I still have root access after applying this update?
    The 2.1 BACKUP available for download here DOES include root once installed.

2. Will I have to re-sync my phone with Verizon or will it maintain my phone number & account information?
    No, and your contacts are restored once you sign into gMail.

3. FLASH websites and do they work?
    Not yet.

4. Is the browser multi-touch?
    Not yet, but Dolphin Browser works really well with 2.1

5. Is anything multi-touch OEM?
    Not yet.

6. Do a majority of the apps from 2.0.1 work in 2.1?

From what I can tell all of my apps are running just fine.

7. Has GPS been repaired to run on Droid?
    GPS is working just fine for me in Google Navigation and AGPS latitude...

8. For those of us looking to overclock, has the rom been adjusted to make it possible to clock past 550?
    The rom is limited to just 550mhz from what I can see, im overclocked with setCPU and MAX is 550.

MY PERSONAL DROID RUNNING 2.1 LIVE WALLPAPERS

VIDEO BY z4pp

BEFORE ANYTHING, Backup any apps that you want to keep and transfer over to 2.1 since installing requires wiping the phone id recommend using ASTRO FILE MANAGER to back them up or just taking a few screenshots of your APP list and redownloading them from the market place once you are in 2.1.

-THANKS SPECTRAL

Anyways this is going to be a step by step tutorial, using a lot of the resources found here on this forum and others.

Here we go:

/begin

IF YOU ARE ROOTED ALREADY YOU MAY SKIP STEPS 1-6

[MAKE SURE YOUR ON 2.0.1 ALREADY]

Step 1: Download THIS FILE
    updated 12-28-09

This update file will load onto your droid and give you root access to your phone.

Step 2: Rename file to "update.zip", mount your Droid to the pc, copy to your main folder (root) of your SDCARD on your phone.

Step 3: Power off your phone, now once its off hold down "X" on the hardware keyboard and now hold the power button until the phone boots into a /!\ when you are there let go of "X" and power and now hold "Volume UP" and press the "Camera" button.

Step 4: So by now you should be in the "Android System Recovery" menu. Just hit "update with the update.zip". It will take a few seconds.

Step 5: Hit Reboot and Load it Up.

Step 6: Once its loaded go into your apps menu and check for "Superuser Permission" Looks like a little ninja android to me, but I could be wrong haha.

SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS

Step 7: Download Droid Root Helper TOOLS http://alldroid.org/download/file.php?id=898
    Download Droid Root Helper APK http://alldroid.org/download/file.php?id=897
    This program is awesome and will save you so much time! Specially if your new like me. Special thanks to: crotalusfreak

Step 8: Setup Droid Root Helper. Extract "droidroothelper.zip", inside is a tools folder, copy "Tools" to the ROOT of your SDCARD. Then extract and copy "droidroothelper.apk" to ROOT of SDCARD too.

Step 9: Once everything is copied over go over to the market place and download "Astro File Manager" so you can install third party apks.

Step 10: Open up astro file manager, go into your sdcard root, find droidroothelper.apk, open with app manager, hit install, (IF IT SAYS INSTALL BLOCKED HIT THE SETTINGS OPTION, CHECKMARK UNKNOWN SOURCES, HIT OK, HIT BACK AND TRY INSTALLING AGAIN) ONCE ITS INSTALLED, HIT OPEN TO START UP "DROID ROOT HELPER") It will open a dialog that will ask your for root:root access just check mark it and hit OK.

BE IN VERTICAL MODE NOT LANDSCAPE OK!?
    Step 11: Once its open Hit "Mount mtdblock3 System read/write" and most likely it will freeze (usually does the first time) and hit force close. Reopen the droid root helper once more. Hit "Mount mtdblock3 System read/write" Should pop up and say System mounted...
    updated 12-25-09

IMPORTANT STEP - UPDATED AGAIN
    Step 12: Now go down to "Install and chmod busybox..." Press it to get another OK notification. Now go down to "Install and chmod flash_image.." Press it to get another OK notification. Now scroll down to the very bottom and hit "Flash 1X.0 recovery......................" Press it and get another OK notification.Now find "Rename recovery-from-boot.p" Now go up to the very top and Unmount "mtdblock3" hit OK on the notification. Now hit "Sync" for good measure.

Step 13: At the very bottom hit "Reboot Recovery" it will reboot your phone into a new Android System Recovery.

SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS

Step 14: Read the instructions on how to navigate through the new recovery system.

Step 15: Go into Nandroid Sub-Menu, Choose Default Nandroid Backup. It will now backup your current system .img just incase something goes wrong you can always go back.

Step 16: Once its done, navigate back to the main menu of the Android System Recovery setup, Reboot your phone.

Step 17: Once the phone is back on and running mount it to your pc again and navigate into your sdcard. Find the "Nandroid" folder. Open it, there will be a folder in there named BCDMRS-[year,month,day-time]. Copy that folder to anywhere on your pc where you can find it incase you make a mistake you can restore your old setup right back.

Step 18: Once its safely saved on your pc. Delete the BCDMRS- FOLDER from your sdcard.

Step 19: Download a nandroid back up of your choice. You will probably want the NEW 2.1 backup.
    UPDATED 2.1 REV 4 WITH ALL CURRENT FIXES AND LIVE WALL PAPERS
    Download it here NEW LINK:ANDROID2.1_GREEK35T_REV.0.0.41.zip
    Latest Version as of 12-24-09

Step 20: Extract the zip to your desktop, and copy the folder to your SDCARD/nandroid/ Folder.
    For example mine looked like this:
    "XXXX:sdcard\nandroid\BCDMRS-20091219-1559"
    UPDATED FOR NEW SYSTEM RECOVERY IMGS 14.0 +

Step 21: Once its copied over, unmount your droid from the pc, and open up Droid Root Helper Again.

Step 22: Once its open go all the way down and hit Reboot Recovery. Phone will reboot into Android System Recovery. IF YOU REBOOT AND IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE MY PICTURE BELOW THEN REDO STEP 11-12 AND REBOOT IN RECOVERY AGAIN TO FIX THIS. THEN PROCEED WITH STEP 23.

RECOVERY SCREEN SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS
    AGAIN

Step 23: Once you are back in boot recovery. Go down to "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" and hit yes. After that is done go down to "wipe cache-partition" and hit yes. You have just wiped your phone clean.

Step 24: Go down to the Nandroid sub-menu and enter it. Now go down to Default Nandroid Restore (Latest) and it should start loading the backup that you downloaded from this website and onto your SDCARD not your personal backup.

Step 25: Once that is done loading might take a few minutes, go to the main menu, Reboot your phone.

Step 26: Grab a beer because you just installed 2.1 on your droid. 8-)

/end

Well that should cover most of it. I mean these instructions are almost full proof to get 2.1 running and going.
    If anyone has any questions about anything feel free to post and PM me. If I am missing anything or you feel like im wrong please feel free to post criticism (constructive of course) and I will correct it ASAP. Hope this helps someone out.

Thanks Guys
    Last edited by z4pp; 12-28-2009 at 02:53 AM.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    You rock. I was just searching through for a more detailed step by step because I don't want to end up bricking my phone.

I will probably be doing this later on before I go to bed. 2.1 looks amazing.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    Yeah 2.1 is awesome, the app loader is crazy fast and nice to look at. Im not sure if people said gps wasnt working on this particular recovery but it seems to work for me in Google Navigation and AGPS too... hmm maybe it was the other one...
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    now what did you do to back up the applications? did you use astro to make backups and then reload them back onto your phone?
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID
    As far as backing up my apps I just let them go, most of the apps I have I got from the market so I was able to just go back into the market and re download them for free, but I did go as far as taking some screenshots of app list before wiping the phone. Ill add that to the write up! Thanks!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Yeah I just want to make sure my pure calendar, GDE, and Beautiful Widget apps I paid for I do not have to pay for again.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    I Guess the only question I have is do I need to install nandroid and busybox first?

I am on a rooted 2.0.1 droid, and dont have them installed.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Thanks for the write up. It's good to have instructions were the person writing doesn't assume everyone knows as much as them.
  9. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Great write up! Nice to see ceryones chipping in!! Really helpful!!!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 1
    running 2.1 and the launcher is siiick
Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast

Links