DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Did this hack work for you?

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, easy

126 51.01%
  • Yes, with some work

63 25.51%
  • No, can't get it working

58 23.48%
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Tether capability with android-wifi-tether (Wireless Tether for Root Users)

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    seems the updated kernel plays with the manual brightness feature....any fix in the works?
    What happens on the road stays on the road

Current releases: "Midnight Droid" bootanimations
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...animation.html

"True Blue" aka I.C.E metamorph theme set
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...c-e-tdawg.html
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I got everything installed, but it seems to stop working intermittently. I have to cycle the program 2-3 times each time before my PC will even connect, then once it does it only lasts 30-60 seconds before the connection goes stale. The PC still thinks its connected, but I can't browse the internet until I reconnect (and cycle the program 2-3 times)

Has anyone else experianced these issues?
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    How do you cycle the program?

Ok I'm able to connect again -- never through ubuntu but through windows after I do a
    sh tether stop
    sh tether start

at the command line and repeat the above about 5 times. About 1:5 times I am able to connect to the ad-hoc network. Wierd and annoying but I can confirm it works. I suspect that the script should actually take down the interface, unload the drivers (modprobe -r or whatever the reverse of insmod is), then reload the driver - modprobe or insmod, then rebring up the interface (ifconfig up)) so it should be more reliable. I remember I had to do that a long time ago with broadcom and atheros cards in linux with older kernels. Possibly this could be incorporated into the startup script.
    Last edited by kevdog; 12-25-2009 at 10:15 AM.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I installed the tether application, but when I ran it, it didn't install any of the runtime files into the data/data directory. In fact, there exists no data folder within the first data folder. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks!
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Thank you very much! The most exciting post I've ever seen for my Motorola Droid

I did all the steps and got to the last step which was getting my computer connected to my phone. I can see the SID of my phone for like 10 seconds and then it disappears.

Here is my problem, If I want to get connected, after five seconds, there comes that red cross sign on my internet connection icon in the taskbar, and nothing happens!

I couldn't use the GUI, everything that I did was through the Terminal window : "su && sh /data/data/android.tether/bin/tether start"

I looked further into it, maybe the connection is unsuccessful cause there is no "wlan.ko" in /system/lib/modules; that's what the gui log shows.

Does any of you guys know how to fix this problem or maybe can upload "wlan.ko" for me?

Thanks again for the great job.
  6. xk1
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I am completely new here. I am a web developer, so I am fairly familiar with debugging things.
    My observations:

The script often fails due to a lack of /system/bin/busybox; you should either switch the script to using just an assumed PATH'd "busybox", or have people make symlinks from their other install location to the Busybox.

The most important observation I can note: I started the tethering using the ADB console, worked amazingly. I opened up the GUI app, and it behaved exactly like it should, no error. I stopped it, it stopped in the GUI. I am guessing the GUI application just isn't exercising the permissions necessary to run the shell script.

The GUI app does work; but, the methods in which you start it need to be done from shell. (This seems like an EXTREMELY easy fix)

I am running the .0.0.3 greek ROM with the built in TiWLan stuff.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    xk1

Does it work repeatedly when you start/stop/start the script? Mine seems to work like once out of every 5 times. What platform are you connecting from? And yes command line is very easy.

The script (tether) should set the path of busybox at the top, or simply rely on the path statement to find busybox. Why it needs to hardlink the busybox path is beyond me!
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Has anyone figured out a way to get the SSID to broadcast for longer?
  9. xk1
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Works every time I start/stop the script. I am using the Mac version of the latest Android SDK's ADB. I will probably write a shell script or something that I can shortcut to to launch this easier.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by tdawg5480 View Post
    seems the updated kernel plays with the manual brightness feature....any fix in the works?
    I also noticed this. I'm glad someone else is experiencing this problem. Any way to fix this?

Reddit: TheRealBigLou
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Links