DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Google Voice

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Google Voice

Quoted from another forum i posted at.

So I guess google voice is an application that you can dl on your android or iphone and get free text msg. Has anyone ever done this? Is it good? I've been really wanting to get a smartphone but with minutes, texting, and a data plan, the monthly bill discouraged me from not getting it. If I take out the texting than that significantly lowers the monthly bill, enough for me to consider getting a smartphone. And since the Droid X is only a penny, now should be the time to get a phone.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    I have Google Voice and yes, its an app for the phone but its also a website (and where you need to go initially to get the phone number). It does do texting for free, but only through its own app. Google Voice is primarily designed to handle voicemails and to be one phone number regardless of what phone is being used. Also, Google Voice does not support MMS, nor does it support those "text a phrase to a 5 digit number and get whatever" deals.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Oh okay, so should i get a minute plan and the unlimited data plan and use google voice for texting? And when I give out my phone number should I just give out my google voice number for more convenience since they'll be able to call me also with the google voice number correct?
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID3
    Quote Originally Posted by albert0306 View Post
    Oh okay, so should i get a minute plan and the unlimited data plan and use google voice for texting? And when I give out my phone number should I just give out my google voice number for more convenience since they'll be able to call me also with the google voice number correct?
    I generally don't send mms messages and I just give out my Google voice number for texting and use Google voice to make all calls. It works pretty well and the texts are sent as part of the data plan.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    OG DROID- liquid smooth 3.0 (retired)

DROID 3- running the latest of hash's ICS nightlies.
    -----------------------------------
    DROPBOX - click to get 250MB extra from my referral. (I get extra as well!)
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    oh okay, I think I'll get a Droid X with verizon wireless then. Is there a tutorial on how to set up your google voice to your phone so that when someone text you you get a notification and it doesn't charge you and when someone calls you it goes to your phone?
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola DROID3
    oh okay, I think I'll get a Droid X with verizon wireless then. Is there a tutorial on how to set up your google voice to your phone so that when someone text you you get a notification and it doesn't charge you and when someone calls you it goes to your phone?
    After you set up your voicemail after first launch, just go to the settings (press menu and settings should be under more). That's where you'll find options for text notifications.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    OG DROID- liquid smooth 3.0 (retired)

DROID 3- running the latest of hash's ICS nightlies.
    -----------------------------------
    DROPBOX - click to get 250MB extra from my referral. (I get extra as well!)
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    So I guess google voice is an application that you can dl on your android or iphone and get free text msg.
    It's quite a bit more than that but free text messaging is certainly a common reason for people to use GV. GV is really a service with an app. The app itself isn't sufficient for everything that GV does.

Has anyone ever done this? Is it good?
    Yup. Define exactly what you mean by good. Good is really too subjective to mean anything out of context.

GV does occasionally have issues with timely delivery of SMS and voicemail notifications. You might want to at least read some of the GV threads here.

The GV site will guide you through setup. There are guides and threads that you can search for if you want more resources. As for notifications, the app will notify you.

Quote Originally Posted by bharrismac View Post
    After you set up your voicemail after first launch, just go to the settings (press menu and settings should be under more). That's where you'll find options for text notifications.
    Setting up text notifications is counter to what the OP is looking for. The OP is looking to avoid charges for text messaging. SMS notifications will incur charges if there is no text plan.
    Last edited by takeshi; 11-23-2010 at 07:51 AM.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Wait a minute, I thought sms and texting are essentially the same thing, where mms is different than texting because it includes some sort of media. I use google voice for texting since I don't have a text plan and I have never been charged for sending or receiving texts (sms messages) on my google number.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note 3
    MMS is multimedia messages. Anything that contains pictures, more than 3x160char messages, or video. Google Voice does not have MMS.

MMS and SMS are identical in what is used to send/receive them on a normal Cell Phone.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by gsDroid View Post
    I use google voice for texting since I don't have a text plan and I have never been charged for sending or receiving texts (sms messages) on my google number.
    If you're replying to me:

SMS notifications (notifications of voicemail sent to your phone via SMS -- not via the GV app) and SMS forwarding will incur charges. I'm not talking about sending and receiving SMS via GV.

Links