DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Child GPS/Info App

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @keithsmith22
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Best Child GPS/Info App

My son is getting an LG Ally for Christmas and I would like to put an app on his phone that helps me to see what texts he sends and receives, can give me his GPS location as well as other things to help me keep track of him. I have looked at a few but prefer a free one if possible. Please let me know if any of you use these and how well they work. Also, are there any apps that keep some of what he is looking at to a PG rating? Thanks in advance.
    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction and persistent in prayer"
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid.
    Premium Member
    Mobile defense will allow you to track the phone via GPS. As far as the limiting what your child views and texting, you're getting into a gray area. I can understand your desire for keeping your child safe, but that same info can be used to stalk someone else. I personally would buy the spy apps available online, because anything you install on the phone to allow you access could be allowing someone else access too. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    I touched Lord Stanley's Cup on 1/2/11.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @keithsmith22
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dammit View Post
    Mobile defense will allow you to track the phone via GPS. As far as the limiting what your child views and texting, you're getting into a gray area. I can understand your desire for keeping your child safe, but that same info can be used to stalk someone else. I personally would buy the spy apps available online, because anything you install on the phone to allow you access could be allowing someone else access too. Good luck!

I am not aware of any spy apps online. I never thought about if I can see it then one of these companies could see it and use it maliciously if need be. I just know that you can never be to safe.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid
    There are no good parent apps on the market... there are only 'pretend to be good parent apps' meaning, you don't need an app to view what your kid is texting better than telling jr, 'i will periodically monitor your history'' any deleting or questionable stuff, they lose the phone for xx amount of time.

Sent from my commodore 64 using DroidForums App
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @keithsmith22
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mcatdtDroid View Post
    There are no good parent apps on the market... there are only 'pretend to be good parent apps' meaning, you don't need an app to view what your kid is texting better than telling jr, 'i will periodically monitor your history'' any deleting or questionable stuff, they lose the phone for xx amount of time.

Sent from my commodore 64 using DroidForums App
    Oh yeah, he already knows the rules but now that he is going to a smartphone I just want to be as safe as possible. I want to know if something was deleted that may be troublesome. Keep up with the text history and internet searches. I do think that once he gets his gmail account linked that keeps the search history with google that I can monitor. Its mainly texting and location that I am worried about.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid.
    Premium Member
    You also need to remember your kids are smarter than you are. As much as we'd like to admit we are tech savy, kids know more than us anymore. They can, and will, bypass anything you put on their phone if they want to.

I touched Lord Stanley's Cup on 1/2/11.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #

really???...I mean really????

Had to laugh at some of the responses...are you guys parents??

Let me tell you that I am a parent and I monitored my childs online and phone behavior...you DO need some software...telling them you will randomly check their phone and/or computer wont work...they know how to clear history and cache, etc.

You might be behind your kids technologically speaking, but I am not.

I can point you to some of these products if you respond with your email.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    take a look at this thread, it doesn't discuss text/email, but it does discuss gps apps

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ker-child.html

and mcatdtDroid, you have made it clear several times in a couple threads that you think anyone that uses this kind of software as an additional measure of protection is basically an idiot. Please, if you don't have anything useful to contribute, don't say anything
    Droid X SSX1.1 (me)
    Droid 1 SS5.4 1ghz lv Incinerated (son #1)
    Droid 1 SS5.4 1ghz lv (son #2)
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid
    Listen...if I can't trust them in the first place it tells me 2 things....1. I messed up somewhere, and 2, they don't need a smartphone. Its like giving a gun to a thug and saying ''dont use it though or you'll get in trouble''

My kid wont see a smartphone. There is no need for it at 15. They can use the family room computer for the legit use needs. Everyone wants to justify giving in to the 'i want a cell phone because everyone else has one'' as a safety issue. I call bologna on that.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #

easy does it...

you're obviously not there yet...but its not just your child ...you cannot control anyone else.

this had nothing to do with a smart phone...just a typical 14 yr old...no matter how they look or seem to be, they are still 14 (or whatever age)...

this from just a month ago...be sure to read it and watch the video with it...
    Police: Homeless Man Found Hiding in Teen's Closet - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

I've been involved with child protection for some time and I am tired of parents who think they (or their kid) is above it our wont happen to them
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links