DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: is google fixing the market without mentioning it?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    DroidForums.net Developer

is google fixing the market without mentioning it?

My biggest gripe bout the market has been the search. You try to search for the open home app for example and all the themes come up before the app. I did a search for gde and the actual app came first. Can someone else try it? Maybe goog is working on making the market better! Of course it may just be because I have gde paid for and not installed yet.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bionic for me Droid X2 for her
    Tried and got the same thing as you. Also searched "open home" and the full app came up on top
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    the market is kind of wonky, sometimes I can find what I want, and others well, not so much. The market is in definite need of improvement.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    Yes, I have noticed some "tweaking" going on with the Market as well (Google has changed the market with "telling" the community several times... the changes just appear)
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    The market sucks in my opinion.... I just uses QR codes whenever possible.

It definitely needs improvement especially if your business is about "Searches"
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkidd View Post
    The market sucks in my opinion.... I just uses QR codes whenever possible.

It definitely needs improvement especially if your business is about "Searches"
    Unfortunately the search (at least as it was originally constituted for Marketplace) did not take into account two things. Re-Downloads and stupidity. And these two factors play an important role in why the search fails to do things logically.

I mean somehow there is 10,000 (I am just using round numbers for the sake of example) copies of aHome sold and downloaded, but 50,000 or better copies of various skins.

Now either there are a lot of people downloadning skins, deleting them, changing them, and then downloading them again (which I am sure there are some), or there are stupid people that don't download aHome (because it is a paid app) but instead download the skins (which are free), and then give it 1 star (because it "don't work") and thus the search brings back the "most popular" results which is the skins instead of the app (because it is downloaded less).

The biggest problem (as I see it) is that in trying to keep it "too" simple and not creating enough categories and/or sub categories, "browsing" the market just plain... well it sucks.
  8. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    People being picky IMHO. I agree the search for open home is a pia but everything else I've searched for I found easily.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    People being picky IMHO. I agree the search for open home is a pia but everything else I've searched for I found easily.
    True, but when this is the way you are suppose to find apps, it really should be a better overall experience than it currently is providing.

I mean would it really take that much to create a category so that Font Packs, and Skins and things like that are not mixed in with the general applications?

The market is far better than it was back January, and I am sure as time goes by it will get better, but for now, picky or not... the Market is a weak user experience.

Links