DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Ready, Should I wait?

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbiz View Post
    Yeah I too came from an LG voyager..lol what a difference to a Droid.. anyways why do people what for upgrades? I mean how much do you save? Isn't it only 50 dollars? I've never waited for upgrades.. just buy the. Phone I wanted
    Ummm, where are you buying phones? We wait for upgrades because we dont want to drop $600 every time we buy a new phone....
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    htc incredible 2
    I didn't have an upgrade available when I got my incredible. Payed 299. Got a 100 dollar rebate.
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbiz View Post
    I didn't have an upgrade available when I got my incredible. Payed 299. Got a 100 dollar rebate.

So you bought the phone with a contract. Same difference as waiting for an upgrade. The phone, sans contract/upgrade, is $600.

Point being, the technology is (for some) prohibitively expensive without the upgrade/new contract incentive.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LtKen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    There will always be a new device coming out... there are some great ones out now.

Myself, I'm waiting until LTE devices come out before I bother with an upgrade.
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I was torn between keeping my D1 until mid-next year, holding my upgrade in November, and making the switch. Lucky for me, I just got bumped up to a D2 through a factory warranty, so I'm definitely holding off until middle-late next year to get an LTE device.
    Hopefully it won't be that long.

If the iPhone releases on Verizon in January it will be LTE capable most likely, in which case I highly doubt an Android equivalent would be far behind.

but pure speculation on my part
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    Hopefully it won't be that long.

If the iPhone releases on Verizon in January it will be LTE capable most likely, in which case I highly doubt an Android equivalent would be far behind.

but pure speculation on my part
    Amen. Every now and again I think I might switch to the iPhone if it comes to Verizon, but then I remember that it would be putting a nickel in Steve Jobs' pocket, and I cant do that.

Hopefully this D2 will get me through July 2011, and I'll have some LTE options then.
  6. dbu
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    If you are going to upgrade right now I would definitely suggest an Incredible. The X is meh, the screen is nice but that's about it, and I personally think the bootloader will never be cracked so that phone living up to it's potential is unlikely. I had one for 2 weeks and swapped it out for an Incredible and couldn't be happier. There are some really good ROMS out there for it should you decide to root. I personally am not upgrading again until some LTE devices are released. Just my $.02...
  7. dbu
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyetattoo View Post
    Keep in mind that LTE phones are most likely going to cost allot more when they first come out. Not only the hardware but also the data plans. On top of that LTE wont be available in most markets. Get the best phone out now and by the time they are priced right you will be due for another upgrade. Just my .02
    Err... Did you see the LTE coverage map for when it goes live? Awful lot of red on there. As for pricing $199 on upgrade or new 2 year contract is pretty standard. Sprint didn't charge any more for their high end android devices when their 4G went live. I haven't read anything on data rates going up either. I did read about the possibility of tiered data plans, but I am reasonably certain that current unlimited data subscribers will be grandfathered in, at least they better be or big red is going to have a while lot of angry folks on their hands.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Twitter
    OneCraigB
    Phone
    HTC One
    I was thinking of going with the Dinc, since Verizon has the BoGo free offer. Get a Dinc, and maybe a X or a D2 and sell for a few Hundred to put down on a newer phone down the road.
    Stock Rooted HTC Rezound
  9. dbu
    Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudstrife05 View Post
    I was thinking of going with the Dinc, since Verizon has the BoGo free offer. Get a Dinc, and maybe a X or a D2 and sell for a few Hundred to put down on a newer phone down the road.
    That's not a bad idea, just keep in mind you have to have a second line to get the free phone. As I said earlier, the Dinc is a fine choice, it performs very well, especially when rooted and you flash a custom ROM and get rid of all the crap ware that comes on these phones.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    With the buy one get one free, don't two people have to sign a two year contract or be part of a family plant. Thus, there will be an fee if one phone is sold?

As for a two year contract? Why. A one year contract is only 70 bucks more and you can then replace a phone every year vs. every two years.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links