DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Free phone calls app?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x

Free phone calls app?

Is there an app for droid where you can make phone calls that won't show on your phone bill or phone log? Is skype the only one and do all of these require wifi to work? Thanks!

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    If you have Friends & Family then you can take the number that Google Voice dials out to and use that to make calls anywhere for free. That and Skype is about it.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Hook, only way to do that with GV is to use a 3rd party app to tweak it. GV stopped using a single number for dialing out with in one of the recent updates. To the OP, if you want to go that route, there are tons of threads on here of people wanting GV to be free again.

However, I do believe the calls will still show up in the phone log, not sure of a way around that requirement.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harrellj View Post
    Hook, only way to do that with GV is to use a 3rd party app to tweak it. GV stopped using a single number for dialing out with in one of the recent updates. To the OP, if you want to go that route, there are tons of threads on here of people wanting GV to be free again.

However, I do believe the calls will still show up in the phone log, not sure of a way around that requirement.
    You're right, I have read that. I don't use GV for phone calls, thanks for catching that. OP, forget the GV idea. Get unlimited calling, then you can call as often as you like.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid1 - SS4.8 - 1GhzULV

Fring

Try Fring. It connects to all the major VOIP, voice enabled IM, and SIP clients,
    including Skype, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Gtalk, other Fring clients, and so on, over 3g,
    4g, or wifi. All your carrier will see is you using data, and your friend can use any
    client they like. It's nice having to only keep ONE app to talk to someone no matter
    what client _they_ use or like.

You can buy minutes for it like Skype does, so landline calling is also doable.
    FringOUT minutes are usually cheaper than Skype too, bonus.

If you have unlimited data but are short on minutes, give it a try. I've had fantastic
    luck & success with it, especially for talking to my other friends using several other
    types of phones on several other carriers, as well as talking to their laptops and
    home computers too.
    (I use Verizon which is automatically unlimited to other Verizon users, is what I mean)

Oh, it does video too. Wish I had stock in this company, but, alas, no such luck.

Another option I haven't tried yet, but which is on the front page right now, is the
    new Yahoo Droid app that was mentioned to be multiple client aware like Fring.

If I get a little time I'll see about setting that up and determine if it has good sound
    and how well it connects to other non-Yahoo apps and see how much their minutes
    cost for landline usage, etc.

I'm really slammed the next few days though and I'm almost done with my morning coffee
    today, meaning no more goofing off now, so I don't know how long it'll be before I can
    report back my experiences to you, friend.

I will try though, to find a wee bit of time. Options are good, and if this app is better
    than Fring, I certainly would want everyone to have the very best for their Droids.

HTH;
    --D
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone

P.S.

{couldn't edit for some reason, shrug, double post!}
    P.S. Just re-read your OP. As far as logs go, the carrier MIGHT be able to determine,
    based on port usage, that you are using a VOIP type client and sending data over
    that port MIGHT be directly log-able, in terms of duration, IP addresses of sender
    and receiver (which includes your phone since it has an IP), and time of day.

However, your talk won't be seen in your internal phone log section. If someone were
    to want to know you talked to suchNsuch, they would have to open your VOIP client
    instead. Those clients (for the most part) can be set to not save any history. You're
    still left with the carrier possibly knowing you did a VOIP call.

As far as the contents of the conversation go, if that is more your concern, there
    is an encrypted client that's currently in beta right now. Both parties have to have the
    client, and it's still rather flaky as of last week. When it gets out of beta I'll submit a
    news post to here because it does have a LOT of potential and does work very
    smoothly at times. It's just the flakiness that they need to iron out now.

HTH;
    --D
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x

fring

HTH, thank you your info is very helpful. To be more specific I am looking for something to make phone calls and sms to an iphone from my verizon droid x without it showing on the phone bill the log itself in the phone is easy enough to delete but it would be convenient if that wasn't necessary. I have been using KiK for sms but need the calls too. I am hoping this can work for iphone as well so the iphone friend can call without the call appearing on their phone bill. I will check out fring and watch for your post when you aren't busy. Thanks!
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    It won't show on the phone bill except as data usage. It's the carrier knowing I was
    referring to. They will know and could be asked to provide records in a court.

I was thinking you were trying to use this as a reporter might, for talking to a
    confidential informant; or, for discussing something bad about your restrictive
    government; or some other such thing, where logs from the carrier might get
    you jailed, or worse.

If you just want to keep your wife from knowing you are talking to a mistress, use
    something like Fring, and add to that an app that can password lock other apps from
    running (there are several on the Market) such that the app itself cannot be run
    without that password.

Nothing but increased data use will show in the phone bill (if you have an unlimited
    data plan, this data use might not even show anyway) and no one can see the
    history in the client without a password. Done and Done.

I mention the password locking because some clients are difficult to erase history on.

Hope This Helps (HTH);
    --Dietche
    Sent from my Droid with my custom shaped thumbnails!

Links