DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.0.1 Messaging Force Close

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

2.0.1 Messaging Force Close

I had my messaging force close... similar to how it did before the 2.0.1 update... except now the force close DELETED all of my messages.

Another small detail that I noticed that may be related to the error is that my most recent e-mail said it was unread, despite having read it earlier.

The force close deleting all of my messages seems like a MAJOR problem, especially if it is common.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerz16 View Post
    I had my messaging force close... similar to how it did before the 2.0.1 update... except now the force close DELETED all of my messages.

Another small detail that I noticed that may be related to the error is that my most recent e-mail said it was unread, despite having read it earlier.

The force close deleting all of my messages seems like a MAJOR problem, especially if it is common.
    This exact same thing happened to me and my Moto Droid today. I am highly upset ( anyone know if there is anyway to retrieve these lost messages?). Although I have read that another user called their local Best Buy, where they purchased the phone, and was informed that this is not normal. Also, Best Buy replaced their Droid... but still this really sucks.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid by Motorola
    It sounds like that database that is storing the messages got corrupted. Some possibilities that can cause this. using Advanced Task Killer or some other app that kills processes (I am really starting to hate those apps) or having message threads that are longer than the settings for Text Message Limit (by default it is 200 messages for SMS and 20 for MMS), exceeding those limits may cause database problems as well. I'm sure there are other possibilities, but those are the two likeliest.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I have no clue how to solve that. I use gmail so it is still all online. I also use google backup which saves all my pics, texts, etc. On another thread someone mentioned their sd card spontaneously wiped so I have gone ahead and dropped a copy of my sd card onto my pc, just in case. I feel real fortunate since I haven't had any major problems.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    It sounds like that database that is storing the messages got corrupted. Some possibilities that can cause this. using Advanced Task Killer or some other app that kills processes (I am really starting to hate those apps) or having message threads that are longer than the settings for Text Message Limit (by default it is 200 messages for SMS and 20 for MMS), exceeding those limits may cause database problems as well. I'm sure there are other possibilities, but those are the two likeliest.
    The messaging app also force-closed on me the other day for the first time. When I brought it back up, all messages were gone. I don't use any task-killing programs, and did not have any limits set above 200 for SMS or 20 for MMS. It didn't happen to me before the update, and until now, hadn't happened at all.

Has anyone discovered any other reasons yet as to why this might happen? Does anyone know if there's a way to save all of your messages to the SD card so they can be retrieved it if happens again?
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    My Motorola Droid is also force-closing my messaging. It started a few days ago. It force-closed my messaging and deleted my messages. It has deleted my messages 3 times now. (I don't have any task-killing programs on my phone and I had less than 200 messages in my inbox.) Now I'm currently unable to view any messages what-so-ever. Every time I try to open my messages, it just says force-close :/

This is so frustrating.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    Posted this in the other thread about this problem as well.. My Messaging app crashed, and upon restart all of my messages were gone. Basically the same issue everyone else here is experiencing. Would love any ideas as to what would cause this. Not that I'm particularly concerned with the actual data in the text messages.. But I don't like the idea of a program crash deleting information from the internal phone's storage... Sounds like trouble.
  8. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droidzilla
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    I am just curious. How many of those experiencing force closes have MMS attachments when it crashes? It was a big issue back in WM 6.1 where corrupted MMS messages would crash Pocket Outlook, and sometimes even reboot the phone. The LG Dare had issues with this as well.

Perhaps corrupt MMS are corrupting the message store? Just a theory.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid

messaging force closingy

My phone did the same thing and it was when I left my messaging open. Turn off your phone, remove the battery, wait ten seconds then put it back in and turn it on. Next call *228 wait for the instructions, press one and your messaging should come back (takes abt 1 min.) Hope this helps someone!
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyduke2222 View Post
    My phone did the same thing and it was when I left my messaging open. Turn off your phone, remove the battery, wait ten seconds then put it back in and turn it on. Next call *228 wait for the instructions, press one and your messaging should come back (takes abt 1 min.) Hope this helps someone!

I tried it... didn't do a thing Still don't have any of my messages back.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links