(2) LTE Questions
1) I get lousy VZW reception at my house. Does anyone know if LTE will provide better reception, since it utilizes a different frequency spectrum?
2) Will VZW be implementing the LTE so that we can get Voice+Data at the same time?
Enquireing minds want to know!
not sure about LTE but i had to buy a network extender from verizon to improve signal which works great. I live at the Jersey Shore and little and spotty coverage
The network extender works well, but couple of things you should know about it.
1) It works for 1X voice, but not for EvDO data (Use wifi for data).
2) You need a broadband internet connection for it to work. Satellite internet is not recommended.
3) You need to locate the Network Extender near a window or within 15 ft. of a window if you use the included GPS antenna extension cable included with the network extender. The network extender will not work without a GPS fix to confirm you are within the U.S.
4) The network extender will not work on LTE service.
Yeah, I knew about the network extender - I'm waiting for it to drop down to $100 again. It was $150 last month.
I was asking the LTE questions more to find out about the LTE capabilities, tho.
LTE is 700mhz so it offers greater indoor penetration, your signal strength should increase
Originally Posted by AzJazz
and yes, LTE is voice+data capable.
Coverage isn't just a matter of frequency. Certain frequencies do penetrate buildings better but coverage is affected by other factors as well. It's impossible to say if LTE will improve things for you or not.
Originally Posted by Signum
the lower the frequency the more building/structure penetration the signal will have.
This is exactly why AT&T 3g sucks so back is because they use a 1900mhz band for 3G services.
I bought the network extender a few weeks ago for $200 with a $100 rebate which I have already received. It makes our phones wonderfully usable at home. If the rebate is still available, I recommend highly.
I asked a few VzW Techs if the network extender will work after LTE (Long Term Evolution) is launched. Yes it will still work for your voice calls. VzW is not turning off the current 3g (third generation) network and if they do it will all be seemless to us. They have to ensure all current devices work and if some devices will not work, VzW will notify you and you will be able to upgrade without penalty but i am sure they all will work. I have the Droid 1 and know it will still work after LTE is launched but only the 3g capabilities as this phone is NOT 4g capable.
LTE is to get the VzW wireless network on the fourth generation (4g) equipment so the services are better. This will allow us (user of their services) to get better more realiable voice/data connections. This is also to allow better penetration into buildings so we can get better connections to the cell towers from within. I am hoping this will put a stop to me running outside or a window just to accept a phone call in some buildings.
There is more info so read up on LTE at LTE Inovation Center.
This is my 2 cents and opinion.