DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verizon is charging me minutes for Droid data use

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    x

Verizon is charging me minutes for Droid data use

Spoke with a Verizon rep tonight, and all I could get out of her was "I don't know" and "I'm not sure."

Here's the problem: I have a family share plan with 500 minutes. We use about 200 per month.

Got the Droid X 2 weeks ago.

Verizon is saying I have gone over the 500 shared minutes because of the data connection.

I now pay $29.99 per month more for "unlimited internet and email" access on the Droid, but Verizon is taking the connection time out of my Family Share minutes.

So what then does "unlimited" mean? The rep didn't know and admitted so. She just kept repeating "you have unlimited email and internet usage for the $29.99 fee a month that you pay, and your internet and email access has caused you to go over your alloted minutes."

Can someone help me understand what I am missing here?? Please?

Thanks.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    I Have no clue, I have never been charged minutes for data. Are you using any app that use your minutes like maybe google voice to make calls?
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    x
    Quote Originally Posted by jaw4bama View Post
    I Have no clue, I have never been charged minutes for data. Are you using any app that use your minutes like maybe google voice to make calls?
    Nope. I don't even know how to use it yet for anything other than making a voice call (I made only 1 so far) and browsing the internet. The Verizon rep set up Google email for me which I have not even accessed.

Is anyone else out there charged minutes for internet and email???
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Thats just insane! Call back and maybe this time you will get a rep that has some sense!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    i agree. Call back. Thats crap
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Every Verizon Android!
    Quote Originally Posted by studiopeg View Post
    Spoke with a Verizon rep tonight, and all I could get out of her was "I don't know" and "I'm not sure."

Here's the problem: I have a family share plan with 500 minutes. We use about 200 per month.

Got the Droid X 2 weeks ago.

Verizon is saying I have gone over the 500 shared minutes because of the data connection.

I now pay $29.99 per month more for "unlimited internet and email" access on the Droid, but Verizon is taking the connection time out of my Family Share minutes.

So what then does "unlimited" mean? The rep didn't know and admitted so. She just kept repeating "you have unlimited email and internet usage for the $29.99 fee a month that you pay, and your internet and email access has caused you to go over your alloted minutes."

Can someone help me understand what I am missing here?? Please?

Thanks.
    Impossible. Are you tethering?????????? Phone may be dialing while tethering. I have heard of it before. But there is truly no way you can be charged for minutes for data. Billed totally separate, totally separate billing system.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    One of those places where we have a lot of sweet tea.
    Phone
    droid 4
    Rep surf. Should have asked for that persons manager...better yet ...real person, in a verizon store where answers like that would get your help with wrong answers educated or fired shortly after your exit for the short learning curve of customer service and inappropriate answers without correct responses.

I always say to a rep. When receiving a new phone, "now what kind of plan is this...a five hundred dollar phone bill surprise will make me your enemy fast. "
    Some days...you cannot run the show...just go with it. Why? The word mutiny. Because? My mutiny wins when I have had my fill. Today I am likely just going with it....
  9. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    strange, never heard of that before.

might wanna go into a verizon store to get that sorted out instead of over the phone.
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    How much are you over, do you use google voice for voicemail and do you get a lot of voicemails? No clue if this relates to you, but i went over once and dug in to my bill and after many frustrating hours I found that every time you get a voicemail through Google voice you get charged 1 min of air time. I can't remember the specifics and it took several reps to explain it to me, but I did confirm it to be true. I know this probably didn't help but I remember the reps struggled to explain it to me and I got several "I don't know sirs". But some how the way google voice works through call forwarding it charges you air time.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    222 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    Quote Originally Posted by studiopeg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jaw4bama View Post
    Nope. I don't even know how to use it yet for anything other than making a voice call (I made only 1 so far) and browsing the internet. The Verizon rep set up Google email for me which I have not even accessed.

Is anyone else out there charged minutes for internet and email???
    This is gonna get resolved one way or another. I see a few answers:

(1) The rep was reading your account activity incorrectly. What caused you to call them? Was it your latest bill? Did you check activity online? Perhaps they simply don't know how to break things down.

(2) The fact that you have a family plan is a potential "red flag". Any kids? Perhaps the unexpected charges are not due to calls, but texting. Do you have a text plan (remember that's separate from email/web)?

(3) It's simply not possible for data (email/web) and phone minutes to overlap. They are two entirely different radio systems on your phone. Have you seen a per-call breakdown? Can you verify that you are in fact under your total minutes?

(4) Note that in addition to looking at call activity online, you can also review your data usage. If you can, log in and try to review dates and transfer amounts. I bet it'll be informative.

Please post back if you learn any more!

-Matt
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links