DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verizon charging for GV text messaging?

1. Droid
    Member #

Verizon charging for GV text messaging?

I set up a second GV account using a Google number so I could use texting. I'm not a big fan/user, so even a $5 plan makes no sense to me, but I have one or two people who send the occasional text.

However, being under the impression that I could utilize the data part of my plan instead of incurring costs, I sent and received a few through the GV account. Afterwards, I checked my Verizon account and saw 27 texts (at 20 cents each!). WTF???

I called and explained the situation and was told that ALL GV texts as well as IM messages were chargeable at the text messaging rate.

Is this true for you or is there a way I need to set up GV so no costs are incurred?

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Doid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post
    I set up a second GV account using a Google number so I could use texting. I'm not a big fan/user, so even a $5 plan makes no sense to me, but I have one or two people who send the occasional text.

However, being under the impression that I could utilize the data part of my plan instead of incurring costs, I sent and received a few through the GV account. Afterwards, I checked my Verizon account and saw 27 texts (at 20 cents each!). WTF???

I called and explained the situation and was told that ALL GV texts as well as IM messages were chargeable at the text messaging rate.

Is this true for you or is there a way I need to set up GV so no costs are incurred?
    I find that hard to believe.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post

They don't have anything to do with GV. If you got charged then you had to of used your regular texting and just thought you were using google voice.

When your doing a text in Google Voice you will know it because you will not have word complete available. That's the easiest indicator. Perhaps you were in a conversation with someone and they text you back at your regular number? If you replied, you would of course be on Verizon's texting at that point.

I've never been charged for using Google Voice, it's a different number. Verizon isn't even aware of if you have a Google Voice number according to a rep I spoke with. (Yes, I know)
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    are you getting text notifications in your messaging app from GV? If so, you are going to get charged. you need to only use the GV app. Nothing else. Turn off SMS notifications in google.com/voice
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by medicTHREE View Post
    are you getting text notifications in your messaging app from GV? If so, you are going to get charged. you need to only use the GV app. Nothing else. Turn off SMS notifications in google.com/voice
    BINGO!!! That is the issue.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I remembered reading a FAQ on that, here it is.
    Google Voice FAQ

7. What about text messaging?

Text messages you send and receive via the Google Voice app are free. However, if you have your Google Voice account set to forward SMS messages to your Verizon mobile number, those SMS messages are treated the same as any other sms messages.

<snip>

If you would like to conserve SMS usage, it is possible to have your SMS messages forwarded to your Gmail account. This can be done from the Google Voice website under Settings > Voicemail & SMS. This is a good workaround for the GVoice 5 minute refresh problem. GMail is pushed, so any SMS messages forwarded to your Gmail will be received instantly. Remember to disable SMS forwarding to your mobile if using this method.

Kent
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Kent's right on the money. I use GV for SMS with no charges. The trick is to turn of TXT forwarding.

https://www.google.com/voice#phones > [edit] Mobile > Recieve SMS <- UNCHECK THIS
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid :D
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeySix View Post
    Kent's right on the money. I use GV for SMS with no charges. The trick is to turn of TXT forwarding.

https://www.google.com/voice#phones > [edit] Mobile > Recieve SMS <- UNCHECK THIS
    Or, disable texting completely with Verizon, like I did. That way, the ONLY way I can receive a text is from GV.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S III(white)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeySix View Post

Or, disable texting completely with Verizon, like I did. That way, the ONLY way I can receive a text is from GV.
    How did you do that?
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy S III(white)
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post

When your doing a text in Google Voice you will know it because you will not have word complete available. That's the easiest indicator.

I've never been charged for using Google Voice, it's a different number. Verizon isn't even aware of if you have a Google Voice number according to a rep I spoke with. (Yes, I know)
    When I go into my google voice app, go into SMS, when I start typing a message I get the suggestions of words it "thinks" I'm trying to type, and if I tap one of those words, it pops it into my message.

Are you talking about that or something else? Where it just automatically puts in a word it "thinks" you're trying to type even if you don't select it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links