DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Droid 2 and Droid X Exchange sync questions

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    R2-Droid2
    Thanks a bunch! This helps me out a lot. I really like all the features of the newer droid phones but wasn't sure how well they meshed with Exchange. Looks like I may need to wait another month or so.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by mofohead View Post
    Any input would be much appreciated.
    Don't assume that you have to use the stock apps. I don't know why so many people seem to do this. IMO it's like complaining that your PC only came with Notepad and Wordpad... If those included apps work for you, great. If not, get out there and do something about it. Expecting something out-of-the-box to do everything you arbitrarily expect it to seems unreasonable to me unless you were directly involved in the product's R&D and had control over its specific development. There's no way to make these things one-size-fits-all and everyone has their special little thing that "should be included".

I guess what I'm wanting to know is, is touchdown a replacement email application or is it simply a conduit to handle the authentication for mail sync?
    It's an Exchange client. It supports a few other mail servers as well. Hit Nitrodesk's web site if you want details.

Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Activesync on the Droid has always been buggy.
    FWIW, I've never had issues with ActiveSync (and Touchdown). ActiveSync and the stock email app may be a buggy combo but it's quite a leap to declare ActiveSync buggy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jpeake View Post
    My biggest complaint with the latest demo (Incredible with 2.2) is that meeting invites do not display any of the meeting details (like when and where the meeting is). You can accept the meeting and them go search your calendar to find the details. I tried TouchDown like other suggested and it's the same problem. Also tried RoadSync, and the plain 2.2 email app (HTC replaces is with their own flavor)
    I don't really use meeting requests for my personal Exchange account. However, I just sent a test request and Touchdown had all the details in the request itself. I'm not sure which version of Exchange this account is on as it's hosted but I'll see if I can find out. I doubt it's 2007 or 2010.
    Last edited by takeshi; 09-14-2010 at 11:07 AM.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Thanks a bunch! This helps me out a lot. I really like all the features of the newer droid phones but wasn't sure how well they meshed with Exchange. Looks like I may need to wait another month or so.
    Sound like you are in the same boat as I am. I really want to like Android, and have tried several demo units from my company's Verizon rep. But so far they just don't stack up well against BlackBerry for Exchange use. Will try again in 6 months or so.

If I was a home user, and only cared about gmail, Android is the perfect phone.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    R2-Droid2
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    Expecting something out-of-the-box to do everything you arbitrarily expect it to seems unreasonable to me unless you were directly involved in the product's R&D and had control over its specific development.
    I would debate this comment. I don't find it unreasonable by any means at all. If a phone is advertised as being able to interface with Exchange for corporate email then I would expect it to be able to do that without requiring third party apps. More importantly when terms like activesync and Exchange are thrown around I expect full integration...not just my inbox. Hell, I can do that with any POP internet email account on a basic LG ENV3 with a $10/month limited multimedia data plan. And WinMo has been doing this for years.....out of the box without third party apps.

I don't buy the argument that "it's like complaining that your PC only came with Notepad and Wordpad". It's more like complaining that your PC only came with notepad and wordpad when your PC was advertised as being able to create Office Word documents but in reality it only came with Word Viewer installed.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be argumentative about this. I'm just trying to understand why some people are so willing to bend over for a $20 app when in my mind this stuff should work out of the box. I agree with jpeake, I really want to like the android phones. I just don't want to get bent over for an app purchase for everything that I think the phone should do based on my experience with WinMo in the past.

By the way, thanks for everyone's input.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links