DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No saving favorites/bookmarks in Maps?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @jbjtkbw00
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyMouser View Post
    This is patently false. The Google Maps Navigation on the Droid is fully integrated with Google Maps and My Maps. There are multiple ways to save locations into Navigator, and you can also perform location searches straight from the map by opening up the keyboard and simply typing.

You can create full maps in My Maps, and then save locations in those maps. You then bring these saved maps up as Layers in Navigator on the phone. I have about 15 maps, designated by function, each of which has 10-12 saved locations. When you bring up one of those maps, you'll get a little "index button" on the map that will allow you to select any of the points on that map, and navigate to it.

You can edit these maps directly in Google Maps on your PC, or use the My Maps Editor android application. Synchronization is bi-directional; any changes you make in My Maps, whether it's on the phone with the editor, or on your PC, are synched to the phone and stored permanently by Google in My Maps.

You can also save addresses for your contacts, and use those directly in Navigation.

Finally, the My Maps Editor can take your current GPS location, and save it as a map point with all of the information that you can put into My Maps. Handy for finding your car in a large parking lot.

It takes a little getting used to, but IMHO, the functionality present in Navigator vastly surpasses any stand-alone GPS solution.
    Thanks for this post. I'll be playing around more with My maps and trying to figure it all out, but I agree with your last statement. That's the kind of integration I've been wanting and why I've been slowly switching over to the all things Google.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Is there any integration between Google Maps and Google Earth?
    I can't find any myself, so I was just wondering. It just seems logical to me that you would be able to zoom in on a location in Google Earth and access the Street View or add the location to My Saved Places and sync them to the Droid.

Very handy for househunting. I'm looking at houses online, then I always check Google Earth and Google Maps Street View to get a handle on the location. It would be great to do this in one app instead of two.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links